• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

1 John 5:16-17 

16 "If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall  give him life for them that sin not unto death.

There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death."

:)Please share your responses to my following questions. Thanks.

1)What does 'a sin which is not unto death' mean?...

2) And what does give him life for them that sin not unto death.'  mean?

3) What is the "sin which is unto death" referring to?  

4) Why are for told not to pray for it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,539
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

4 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

16 "If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall  give him life for them that sin not unto death.

Shabbat shalom, turtletwo.

"A sin which is not unto death" is a crime that is not a capital crime. It's an infraction of God's Law that is not punishable by death.

This means to pray for the person that God not hold him guilty for that sin - that crime - give him or her space to repent.

The "sin which is unto death" is a capital crime, one that IS punishable by death, such as murder or disobediece to parents under the Mosaic Law.

If one has committed a crime, such as murder, that is punishable by death, then the person will die according to the Law, even when it's the laws of the state. No amount of prayer to God, who is holier and more righteous than the laws of the state, will be able to undo the physical sentence that the perpetrator rightly receives. This has nothing, however, to do with crying out to God for His forgiveness. It's whether a person can intervene with God for another to have that person's sentence reduced.

• Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, turtletwo said:

The scriptures you quote give a clear indication that the sin unto death is a sin.. A particular sin..   That sin was revealed by Jesus when the scribes accused him of doing his miracles by the power of a demon.. The scribes had committed the sin of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit a sin which never has forgiveness .. it is the sin unto death..

(1 John 5:13-16) "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. {14} And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: {15} And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. {16} If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it."

I context I believe the passage is talking about one Christian interceding /praying for another to be forgiven for their sin..

As far as the sin of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit it is pointless to pray for the forgiveness of a person who has committed the unforgivable sin.. That's why we should not even bother praying for someone who has committed it..

1 hour ago, turtletwo said:

• Thanks 1