Debp

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  769
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.08
  • Days Won:  1

Homelessness, crimes in most cases are caused by ignorant neighbourhood, i guess we at the neighbourhood should have a monthly saving to help the poor families so they dont hv to beg on the street or doing any crime, this monthly saving, lets say 20 dollars by 200 houses every month = $ 4000,

in one year you can gather  $ 48,000 as emergency fund to help neighbour in trouble though we need to inspect them in details.

Mark 12:31 ..... ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.

My neighbourhood already doing this but its for neighbours who wish to open a small scale business and have no money, such as selling burger, noodle, fruit at street side, open a hair cut, bag/shoes repair, small garment industry, motor cycle repair etc., people can borrow the money at a very low interest.

Edited by R. Hartono
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,183
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/23/2018 at 4:44 AM, Debp said:

Of course there are many different causes for people becoming homeless.   Have you ever known a person who became homeless?   Or do you ever talk to someone who is homeless?

I have known two people that became homeless.  One woman was a neighbor who after many years of being sober had a surgery.  After the surgery, she started to drink again.  After nearly burning her apartment up, she was evicted.   A couple of guys who owned this building at the time gave her a little room, however, she ended up on the street.  People tried to help her get off of the street but she kept returning to live on the street.  She finally disappeared.

The other woman who became homeless was a pen pal who lived in Hawaii.  Both of her parents died of cancer within months of each other.  My pen pal had already had a stroke years before their death.  She was paralyzed on one side.   She always told me the termites were holding her rental home together.  I thought she was joking but the termites were the reason she was evicted from that house!   She lived on the street, eventually getting an apartment for the disabled.   However, she got evicted from that apartment after marrying an ex-con....the building management didn't want him to stay there.  So she was back to living on the streets.   I heard she got a leg amputated and after that I never heard from her again.   So she might have passed away.  I knew her since we were both 16 years old...now we are senior citizens.   A missionary friend of mine would always take her to lunch when she was in Hawaii.

Hi!,  I have known many homeless people in the passed. I use to work for a food bank, we gave out free groceries and hot meals 3 times a week. So true, there are many different reasons people become homeless and many reasons why they stay that way and choose to stay that way. As with the second time the crowd came to Jesus to get fed, Jesus turned them away hungry as we read;

John 6:26 (NASB)
Jesus answered them and said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled.

He did no miracles or fed them.    

When and where and to whom to give seems to be the question? 

So, (for me anyways,) this is why keeping my heart soft and right before God is so important. Feeding my personal relationship with Christ is the most important thing. So if the Spirit choses to move I might have ears that can hear. 

A soft and humble heart is that ground God can work with. Keep yours. :)

Much love in Christ, Not me

Edited by Not me
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Homelessness has many faces.  Some are addicts of some sort, some abused spouses, some are young adults who either chose to leave a bad situation at home or kicked out of their homes for some reason, some are by choice, some are priced out of housing - having jobs but not making enough to pay for rent and all other expenses, some are homeless due to an illness where they lost their job, some ex-military with PTSD, some have mental health issues ... many different faces.  I have known many who have become homeless due to various reasons.  I use to walk the woods in my area from one homeless camp to another as part of a job I once had, trying to ensure they were OK if they do not want to come in for help.  They have always been with us and will always be with us.  Someone has to be at the bottom of society.

All one can do is show them the love that God shows us.  Until we were saved, in a sense we were truly homeless.  Now, we have an eternal home.  This door is open to all who will choose to come in out of the world.  The harvest is plenty but the workers are few.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

In my area , almost everything given to the homeless is taken to the other side of town where it is exchanged for drugs......be careful where your money goes

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,163
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 9/23/2018 at 2:44 AM, Debp said:

Of course there are many different causes for people becoming homeless.   Have you ever known a person who became homeless?   Or do you ever talk to someone who is homeless?

I've known quite a few homeless folks in my time, and I did some time on the street myself. Talk to a few and you'll meet some interesting characters. All it takes to be homeless is missing one too many paychecks for many.

I wound up homeless because it took longer to find another job than when rent was due next. I got evicted. So, I lived in the back of my truck until it broke down, then I was able to stash it at a friends house while I went to the city shelter until I could get enough money to get it fixed. It was quite the experience - one I do not wish to repeat because I found out I didn't qualify for most of the programs that are supposed to help you because I was single and male. It took a Phoenix winter sleeping in a field near where I worked to get enough money to fix the truck, get it legal with tags, insurance, etc. and get a phone. I could get better jobs once I had transportation, make better money, and get an apartment, etc. A hand up would have been nice, and things would have taken a lot less time, but at least I didn't have to sleep in that field in the summer. That would not have been nice!  :)

I also learned from that experience: Do not give money to the homeless. Give food, clothing, buy 'em lunch and talk awhile, but do not give cash. Cash will often be used for drugs or alcohol. That's a reality of life on the street, but it doesn't mean we can't help, it just means being wise about it. Someone printed up a small tract sized pamphlet with the locations of homeless services, AA, NA, and that kind of info and we'd give those out along with lunch and that. It seemed well received at the time.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I was homeless for 4 months. The worst part, of all of it, was waking up with rain drops hitting your face. If not for that, I'd probably still be homeless. Its not that bad.

Edited by Archangel Thyos
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,517
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi Abby-Joy,

Thanks for the sharing. Seems to me that your "adventure" is exactly what the thread is about! 

Homelessness can "visit" anyone of us in a  near heartbeat. All it takes is the same attack that visited upon Job, or a simple error made by any person that removes a beam of financial support. Very hard times and extremely bad things do happen to good  people, to God's finest bond-servants.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,265
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Abby-Joy, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us.   It could happen to any of us.   Glad you now have a pleasant place to stay and I pray your son will be ok.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,163
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

22 hours ago, Archangel Thyos said:

I was homeless for 4 months. The worst part, of all of it, was waking up with rain drops hitting your face. If not for that, I'd probably still be homeless. Its not that bad.

Rain drops hitting your face isn't so bad. The middle of the night sudden downpour is worse, although not as bad as waking up to a rat walking across your chest. What bothered me the most about the rat was it was not the least concerned when I woke up. It just continued on its way like I wasn't there.  :laugh:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

1 hour ago, walla299 said:

Rain drops hitting your face isn't so bad. The middle of the night sudden downpour is worse, although not as bad as waking up to a rat walking across your chest. What bothered me the most about the rat was it was not the least concerned when I woke up. It just continued on its way like I wasn't there.  :laugh:

lol