• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Matthew 7:21–23 (AV)
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Many interpretations of this text abound. The bottom line of it is however, the one Jesus is addressing climbed the wrong theological tree (if they actually climbed one at all).

How does one do that? Square one... bottom rung... first step in the direction they chose...

Cutting right to the chase... 

2 Peter 1:20–21 (NASB95)
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, 
21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

All scripture came prophetically from the Holy Spirit in this way, therefor this refers to all scripture.  

The Word of God  is not fractured or schismatic as those who try to carve it us suggest (this is for Jews, that is for Gentiles, this is of Jesus , that is of Paul, then there are the Yahwists versus the Elohists in Genesis, and on and on and on)... It comes from a lame attempt in Higher / Lower criticism of the Bible (I'm a bit rusty on this but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after all these years... go figure). 

The Word of God applies to all (but not in the same way since circumstances change as the progression of the Word of God increases and with reference to which side of the cross a people exist on). 

I do not believe Tyler S. is willfully engaging in the tactics of some very misled German theologians around the time of Martin Luther... but their poison seeps in through unnoticed. 

We should view the scriptures as a whole and the same Holy Spirit who interprets them as the same Holy Spirit who wrote them. 

The covenants changed on the cross of Christ (Hebrews 9:16-17). And that's what makes the difference (Galatians 3:24-25). 

But it's not as though we cannot benefit from the Old Covenant Schoolmaster... just remember to apply Grace to Law and not Law to Grace.

If we'd only investigate... we would all be shocked at how many "orthodox" Churches, denominations, etc. are clueless about this point. Absolutely clueless.

And most of them will affirm the basis of their theology / doctrine / dogma is on human tradition (interpretation of the Bible). Whether wittingly or not. 

Dear individual (whoever ye may be)... eternity is a long long time to suffer in hell because you took somebody else's word for it... finding out only at the end (when you can do nothing to change it) that you were theologically wrong!

Of all the things to be absolutely sure about... this has to be at the very top of the list. 

Please reread the scriptures above!

Keys to the kingdom:

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (AV)
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1 John 4:1 (AV)
1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11 (AV)
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Timothy 3:16–17 (AV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

1 Corinthians 15:1–4 (AV)
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

John 3:16–18 (AV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Ephesians 2:4–10 (AV)
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Galatians 3:24–28 (AV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

1 John 5:13 (AV)
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

1 Peter 2:3–9 (AV)
3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Revelation 1:6 (AV)
6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 5:10 (AV)
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Which hails bake to:

Exodus 19:6 (AV)
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Events in Exodus 32 (the undermining of God's entire plan) instigated the clergy / laity rift in God's people (setting up the one priestly tribe). 

This was OLD covenant, not to be brought into the NEW covenant. We believers are ALL priests of God. A kingdom of priests (with ministries as varied as we are individuals).

Matthew 28:19–20 (AV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

We are to "infest" the fallen world with Christ's Spirit living in us... contagiously spreading the Spirit of God with HIS truth that HE wrote in scripture (and in our hearts) 

according to HIS interpretation and therefore HIS authority.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Perhaps EIERNAL should be ETERNAL.   

Ps , I aint harping on your slip of the fingers ,    I do it all the time .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

JohnD, I think what you're saying is our behavior matters. It matters to God in ways that aren't entirely clear but just based on Matt 7: 21 - 23 our behavior can result in Jesus rejecting us even if we thought we were being good Christians. This is a scary thought and it's why we need to learn what the scriptures say and we need the Holy Spirit to make their meaning clear to us. That can take years but if we're persistent with God and the scriptures it will happen. One of my favorite quotes is in 1 Corinthians ch 3 where Paul says "14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." The way Paul worded this leads me to believe that even he didn't know exactly what this meant. But he knew our behavior could result in a reward or it could cause us to suffer pain and loss, although not loss of salvation but loss nonetheless. So then what should we do. We should strive to live as much of a sin free life as we can. How we live on earth will directly effect what happens to us after death. And always remember that Jesus said the worst cases will be told to go away. 

Nope.

The Bible says there is the traditions of man versus the truth of God.

The traditions of man nullify the word of God (Mark 7:13).