Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Just wondering if anyone has pet birds or other unusual pets?   Please tell us about them.

A couple of my neighbors have lizards in terrariums.  I was watching some Cockatoo videos and was amazed that parrots can live for over 80 years!  They are social and need human company.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

We have a conure, named Danny (not unusual) that has been with us 30 years.

We have a wasp that has been hanging out on our kitchen window sill (looking in) nearly 24/7 for 6 1/2 weeks (unusual). We now call him Willy Wasp lol. 

Can Danny talk?  Do you have a photo?

Funny wasp!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

We have wild lizards on our patio. One of them will come out when he (not sure if it is a he or she) hears our voices. When I got home from the hospital sunday, I called out to him. He popped up when he heard my voice. 

A few years ago, another lizard of the same species (western fence lizard) would come running along a low wall towards me when he heard my voice.

The wild geckos are not so friendly. We have 2 species of them, the native banded gecko and the non native but all too common mediterranean gecko.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

7 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

We have wild lizards on our patio. One of them will come out when he (not sure if it is a he or she) hears our voices. When I got home from the hospital sunday, I called out to him. He popped up when he heard my voice. 

A few years ago, another lizard of the same species (western fence lizard) would come running along a low wall towards me when he heard my voice.

The wild geckos are not so friendly. We have 2 species of them, the native banded gecko and the non native but all too common mediterranean gecko.

Isn't that interesting about the wild lizards becoming more like pets?  Do you ever feed them or give them water?

When I was a child we weren't allowed to have pets where we lived.   One of my uncle's took me to Woolworth's....we saw the Chameleons and he bought me one.   Actually not the best pet for a girl but ....  It died and I don't know why but I got another one.  The new one was quite frisky.  When I was cleaning it's plastic terrarium in the bathroom, it jumped up and bit my finger, holding on to it.   I was yelling, then it fell into the bathtub!   My mom came running and gave me a wash cloth to put over it, to catch it.   Also, I hated having to buy the mealy worms to feed it...they looked so gross.   Like I mentioned, not the best pet for a girl! ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

56 minutes ago, Debp said:

Isn't that interesting about the wild lizards becoming more like pets?  Do you ever feed them or give them water?

We dont feed them. We want them to eat the bugs around my potted plants. But my husband waters the plants and talks to the lizard while he waters the plants. 

We have hummingbirds that hang around too. We do not feed them either. But they have hovered a foot or so away from our faces frequently. 

There are wild grackles (great tailed grackles) that we feed at places outside our home. At 2 of those places, when the birds see our car, they line up and wait for us to toss them bread bits or crackers or whatever we have. It is quite amusing watching them line up, staring at us, waiting for food. Then when the car window rolls down, they run towards us. As my husband says "they know".

Ok I just realized how nuts all that sounds lol. I used to play with bobcats when I was in my 20s too. Guess I relate to animals a bit more than most. 

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

We dont feed them. We want them to eat the bugs around my potted plants. But my husband waters the plants and talks to the lizard while he waters the plants. 

We have hummingbirds that hang around too. We do not feed them either. But they have hovered a foot or so away from our faces frequently. 

There are wild grackles (great tailed grackles) that we feed at places outside our home. At 2 of those places, when the birds see our car, they line up and wait for us to toss them bread bits or crackers or whatever we have. It is quite amusing watching them line up, staring at us, waiting for food. Then when the car window rolls down, they run towards us. As my husband says "they know".

Ok I just realized how nuts all that sounds lol. I used to play with bobcats when I was in my 20s too. Guess I relate to animals a bit more than most. 

I'm a big animal lover, too.  If I had a yard I'd have a bird bath and hummingbird feeder.

How did you happen to get around Bobcats?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

No exotics, just on occasion too many semi domesticated dogs and  a feral cat.

My mother had a wild lizard a little  common yard lizard that she would clap to and it would come out and then walk along with her in the yard. She would talk to it and it would bob it's head and flare its neck back to her. That lizard was impetus for her to get out of the house and take her walk each morning.

p.s.  We once had four dogs, one a huge very long haired Siberian Husky that looked like it was a wolf. The police came to the door one day to share information about some prowlers. I made the mistake of saying, "No problem if I have a prowler wolfie here will just eat 'em." With that the officer took a good look at the huge dog nearly chest high beside me, and as he jumped back he said, "Are you saying you're keeping a wolf because if you are I am going to have to arrest you." and he went all ballastic about how I couldn't do that.

About that point the Dobie- Belgian Shepherd mix came up on my left side and joined the conversation taking it's most ferocious stance his legs spread and let out that bark that says "kill" and makes me jump every time.  Well that brought the tri color beagle and the toy poodle on the scene just for comic relief.  And now I was violating an ordinance about the number of animals.

Eventually it all sorted out the officer backed away I told him they weren't all mine they were just  "here". He had better things to do than continue to breed check  the Siberian-which would have been interesting as I always thought hey that's no siberian we have a wolf in the house.

That Siberian would climb  my twenty+ foot tall red tip leaf bushes (149 of them) breaking off branches with it's teeth as it climbed up them get to bird's nests, and turn his paw towards himself reach out and then flip the baby birds into the air, as they landed the other dogs would snatch them up and leave one for the Siberian when he got back down.

The beagle would charge the wood pile to get to opossum grab one by the neck flip it a good ten foot into the air and then catch it by the neck on its way down breaking the neck and killing it's prey. Then I would have  one nasty, nasty, smelling beagle to clean.

The feral was "Miss Kitty" it lived on my front porch for some 16 years I guess. I would sit down out there it would come up bite me and go to it's place on the porch. Never knew Miss Kitty  was really Marshall Dillon in drag till it died.

Who needs to buy exotics  when semi domesticated critters just show up on life's pathway?

Edited by Neighbor
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Willy making his debut...

willy.jpg.930d4a747ee4153b509602c62f775a90.jpg

And Danny making his Cameo appearance lol

danny1.jpg.7b12b4595590211d9bbadef62cac0848.jpg

WILLIE better not get to close to danny boy .   or he is dinner   .    cause that bird looks like it got wasp de la crème on its mind .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

My mama has an African grey .     and that bird talks a lot .   a lil too much .  and whoever said what , IT comes out in their voice . 

they have had it for years .    The bird actually can mimic the telephone getting dialed and then mimics the voice of the person .

But alas,  this does not bode well .  For when I visit and , yes I hear some dark phrases , like swear words , the voice of the person who said it

COMES OUT .     I happen to know for a fact the dog has done something it should not .  cause the bird repeates the phrase , YOU LIL ............lets not fill in the blank

The bird can imitate ANYTHING it hears and as I said the voice sounds just like the original author who said that phrase does . 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

5 hours ago, Yowm said:

Danny is a lover, he only eats fingers LOL.

African Greys are supposed to be the best talkers.

You've heard the story of the prowler/burglar that broke into a Christian home  and the first thing the prowler heard was 'Jesus is watching you'. The prowler quickly figured out it was the family's parrot so he continued his looting and the parrot continued saying 'Jesus is watching you'. Finally when the prowler was about to make his exit the parrot yelled out 'Sick 'em Jesus' and at that moment a huge Bullmastiff came out from the doorway and pinned the burglar down until the owners came home. LOL

Yes you right yowm.   Them African greys are superb talkers .    A long while back , I was going to get another for mama,   and even the baby was well over a thousand dollars.

SO I was like .    Guess ol fred will have to live alone .      She named the bird , Fred .    And I got no idea why .    but its funny .