maryjayne

which Gospel to start with?

Can anyone recommend the best Gospel for me to start with to re-learn my Bible please. And perhaps a study guide to go with it? I dont have a smartphone so a real study guide is necessary please as apps are not available to me and i dont really like having my laptop on much, plus a real book is easier for making notes etc.

4 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Can anyone recommend the best Gospel for me to start with to re-learn my Bible please. And perhaps a study guide to go with it? I dont have a smartphone so a real study guide is necessary please as apps are not available to me and i dont really like having my laptop on much, plus a real book is easier for making notes etc.

John's gospel is a great start, the fourth book of the New Testament, and all kidding aside, your best study guide is to fervently pray to Jesus Christ to help you understand what you're reading, and to obey it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

Thanks. i am finishing Job tonight. 

The gospel of Thomas. 

HAHAHA!~ Just kidding. :) 

Most like John. You really should read all four. And there are two genealogies because, well, he had two parents. 

I love that the line of Mary is there also. After all, Jewishness comes from the mothers side, doesnt it. I know this because my father is Jewish, but i am not as he married a gentile and had me. The two genealogies give absolutely no doubt of Jesus lineage and credentials as King, even if he wasnt the type of Messiah the people were looking for.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

If you like, start with John. The four gospels I would start with are  in their familiar canonical order: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John

A good study guide is to use https://www.biblegateway.com/

as a point of reference for things that you want to look up. Or if you don't want to use a computer, then you can order a printed bible study guide from Amazon and have it mailed to you. Here is one called Self Study Bible Course https://www.amazon.com/Self-Study-Bible-Course-Expanded-Prince/dp/088368750X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1537994198&sr=8-7&keywords=bible+study+guide

Posted (edited)

I usually suggest John first also, unless the person is from a Jewish background, then I suggest Matthew first.  John cuts right to the point and shows Jesus as God.   To the Jewish mind, seeing the Messiah as fulfillment of the promise is paramount, and Matthew tackles that right out of the gate with the lineages and such. John shows a veiled lineage of Jesus also, but in His divinity.   "In the beginning was the Word and the word was with God and the Word was God".  

Then for either.. I recommend Luke next as it really brings out  Jesus' humanity.  Where Matthew shows Jesus lineage thru the male line of King David which was cursed later (Jeconiah) that no one from the line would reign as king again, Luke shows that thru another son of David that the lineage of Jesus thru Mary makes Him eligible for the throne of David.  That goes back to a situation Moses found himself in in determining who the inheritance would go to if there was no son.  That it would go to the daughters of Zelophehad.  It set the standard that when there was no son that would get the inheritance, it could be passed on thru the daughter.  

So it is established, no matter what way one approaches it, that Jesus is indeed the Messiah that is the rightful heir to the kingship of David and He is not only of the lineage of David, but the one, true God who has come to redeem us to Himself.

Edited by OldCoot

50 minutes ago, OldCoot said:

I usually suggest John first also, unless the person is from a Jewish background, then I suggest Matthew first.  John cuts right to the point and shows Jesus as God.   To the Jewish mind, seeing the Messiah as fulfillment of the promise is paramount, and Matthew tackles that right out of the gate with the lineages and such. John shows a veiled lineage of Jesus also, but in His divinity.   "In the beginning was the Word and the word was with God and the Word was God".  

Then for either.. I recommend Luke next as it really brings out  Jesus' humanity.  Where Matthew shows Jesus lineage thru the male line of King David which was cursed later (Jeconiah) that no one from the line would reign as king again, Luke shows that thru another son of David that the lineage of Jesus thru Mary makes Him eligible for the throne of David.  That goes back to a situation Moses found himself in in determining who the inheritance would go to if there was no son.  That it would go to the daughters of Zelophehad.  It set the standard that when there was no son that would get the inheritance, it could be passed on thru the daughter.  

So it is established, no matter what way one approaches it, that Jesus is indeed the Messiah that is the rightful heir to the kingship of David and He is not only of the lineage of David, but the one, true God who has come to redeem us to Himself.

thank you. I am reading John but taking it very slowly as the chapters are long. I will tackle Luke afterwards.

2 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

thank you. I am reading John but taking it very slowly as the chapters are long. I will tackle Luke afterwards.

LOL.  Yeah, but take heart..... the entire Bible originally had no chapter or verse divisions. Those came later.  Thank God for little blessings!

First read through the whole book, making notes or underlining things that "jump out" at you.  Then go back and read the first chapter. 

Does your Bible have references, either in the center column or the margin, or sometimes they are listed at the end of a chapter and are usually in small print.  After reading a chapter, go back and read it again but look up the reference scriptures as well for each small letter in each verse.  Scripture interprets scripture, so the other verses should help to explain the verse.   

I have never used a study guide.  I have prayed for God to reveal the meanings to me.  Sometimes I have to put a teaching into practice before more was revealed to me.  So my studies go very slowly as well.  Sometimes I meditate on a passage for a week before proceeding.  If you have access to commentaries online, Jamison Faucet and Brown is a good one.  It is a free download on X-Sword, a free reference.  I also do a lot of word studies to learn the meaning in the Greek or Hebrew of some words.  The Amplified Bible does that for you. Checking several different literal translations sometimes helps.  

Our sermons at church take a year or more per book, so that is the way I am used to study.  

• Thumbs Up 1