maryjayne

which Gospel to start with?

Hi Maryjane, and welcome to Worthy. The advice you have been given is valid and inline for instruction. We will all have different takes on which of the Gospels are better to start with. My Gospel would be Mark, as he is direct and gets to the point, also not a long book. My other suggestion would to be to take a look at James, which will give a practical outlook for life. Hope this helps, God bless.

• Praise God! 1

On 9/26/2018 at 11:17 AM, maryjayne said:

I love that the line of Mary is there also. After all, Jewishness comes from the mothers side, doesnt it. I know this because my father is Jewish, but i am not as he married a gentile and had me. The two genealogies give absolutely no doubt of Jesus lineage and credentials as King, even if he wasnt the type of Messiah the people were looking for.

Modern Jewry considers the mother's side as defining, the Bible contains a different record, where a person's descent was from their father's side. Abraham, Issac, Jacob, David and others brought Gentile women into the faith via marriage.

Yes, the genealogies show Jesus's descent from David through Joseph (title of King by direct descent) and descent from David through Nathan to Mary (missing the curse on Solomon's line to be cut off from kingship)!

On 9/26/2018 at 5:39 AM, maryjayne said:

Can anyone recommend the best Gospel for me to start with to re-learn my Bible please. And perhaps a study guide to go with it? I dont have a smartphone so a real study guide is necessary please as apps are not available to me and i dont really like having my laptop on much, plus a real book is easier for making notes etc.

Hi maryjayne!

Of course everyone will have their own ideas and preferences. Anyone of the Gospels to start would be just fine, but if I were to only pick 'one' Gospel to start with, I think it would be "John". 

As far as a study guide; not sure how deep you may want to dive into the Bible? I find a good study Bible and concordance (many on the market) such as "The Old Scofield Study System", or the like from a reputable trusted Bible scholar / teacher, has been a help for me. 

An additional study guide I have (of many) I would recommend; is "King James Bible Commentary", published by NELSON. It has verse by verse commentary from; Edward Dobson, Charles L. Feinberg, Harold Wilmington and many more. I would think it's still in print? 

• Praise God! 1

4 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Hi maryjayne!

Of course everyone will have their own ideas and preferences. Anyone of the Gospels to start would be just fine, but if I were to only pick 'one' Gospel to start with, I think it would be "John". 

As far as a study guide; not sure how deep you may want to dive into the Bible? I find a good study Bible and concordance (many on the market) such as "The Old Scofield Study System", or the like from a reputable trusted Bible scholar / teacher, has been a help for me. 

An additional study guide I have (of many) I would recommend; is "King James Bible Commentary", published by NELSON. It has verse by verse commentary from; Edward Dobson, Charles L. Feinberg, Harold Wilmington and many more. I would think it's still in print? 

thank you, it is still available here in the UK, and I have ordered it

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:39 AM, maryjayne said:

Can anyone recommend the best Gospel for me to start with to re-learn my Bible please. And perhaps a study guide to go with it? I dont have a smartphone so a real study guide is necessary please as apps are not available to me and i dont really like having my laptop on much, plus a real book is easier for making notes etc.

I can promise you this .   The HOLY SPIRIT can surely teach you dear sister .    All the gospels are good .   I guess you can start In John or mark ,  but man the other two are great as well.

IN luke you will see even more clearly what JESUS means when HE says SEEK , KNOCK and ASK .    FOR TRULY I say and JESUS said it first

HOW MUCH MORE shall MY FATHER GIVE the HOLY SPIRIT to those who ask .     YES ,   oh yes dear sister .  I am encouraged for you .     Just feast sister , feast on the bible .

SO pure and holy are those words of our LORD and HIS every example , from every warning to every promise , its honey to the taste and will build us up by the POWER of HIS SPIRIT .

Don’t forget about Paul.....Jesus had much to say after he ascended to Heaven and He used Paul as His Mouthpiece....Things that God had kept secret for Millenia were revealed to Paul...The Church, the Body of Christ,the Age of Grace ,Paul’s Gospel thAt God will judge us by,the rapture of the church,etc......

If Paul said it.....Jesus said it.About the only thing I remember being taught about Paul was how he escaped in a lowered basket once.What a travesty.Jesus,using the pen of Paul had so much more to teach us after His Ascension .Ignore it at your own peril .

On 9/26/2018 at 6:39 AM, maryjayne said:

Start at page one of the New Testament and read right through and finish on the last page of the New Testament.

Do NOT take any notes for the first couple of read throughs because that will be your flesh trying to logically assess the Word.

Let the Word speak to you through your reading of it. It will show itself at the times you need it to for it is the Living Word. It is important to allow your flesh to let the Word flow through to your spirit.

Just read it. Don't get bogged down on any certain part because you feel you have to understand it. Everytime you read it you will find something new. 

The key is to read it and let it soak into your spirit as a whole spiritual enlightenment. When your Spirit is ready to dissect certain areas for a greater understanding, then and only then will that understanding become simple and clear.

The Word was given to us in its simplest form and understanding. The flesh is what makes it complicated. 

The Word is waiting to reveal itself to your personal spirit because God created the Word specifically for you.

How awesome is that!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2018 at 10:21 AM, maryjayne said:

thank you, it is still available here in the UK, and I have ordered it

I think you will be well pleased.

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

I think you will be well pleased.

unfortunately I hadnt realised how expensive it is, so I have not ordered it yet. Maybe I will ask for it as a christmas present.

On 9/26/2018 at 5:39 AM, maryjayne said:

2 Peter 1:20-21 The Holy Spirit wrote the Bible and he interprets the Bible

1 John 4:1 / 1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test the spirits and all things

Acts 17:11 / 2 Timothy 3:16-17 by the scriptures

Best Gospel to begin with IMHO: 1 Corinthians 15:1-58