Sign in to follow this  
LearningToLetGo

Salvation by Grace vs. Works

I accept that man cannot earn God's salvation through works. Instead, man's salvation is a gift that God bestows upon those who accept His son Jesus as their Lord and Savior. But how is accepting Jesus not the ultimate "work?" 

• Please stop fighting!  Thanks!  :) 1

7 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

I accept that man cannot earn God's salvation through works. Instead, man's salvation is a gift that God bestows upon those who accept His son Jesus as their Lord and Savior. But how is accepting Jesus not the ultimate "work?" 

"works " as the bible refers to them   are things seen of men . 

This is where Jesus said  " they have their reward " .

That " reward " being the congratulations of men .

Accepting Jesus is the most private intimate thing a person can do , it is done within the heart . 

Many people who publicly make a " work " saying they accept Jesus have no part with Him . No other human can ever be 100 % sure of another human's relationship with Jesus . 

I think if people just looked at the big picture-> that which is decided is by that which 'IS' not made (or created)... so looking to created things for everlasting is a fools venture and The True everlasting must come from that which 'IS' everlasting... 

John 8:58-59

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
KJV

nothing can give what it does not have

2 Peter 3:10-14

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
KJV

Therefore the manipulation of things that pass away can only yield of the passing away and the eternity goes on... So what manner of people should we be > those < who are 'In Christ alone' and have no other confidence for eternal life...

9 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

how is accepting Jesus not the ultimate "work?"

because it is not something we can earn, or make happen, or get by our own means. Its a gift freely given. We do nothing but ask. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

5 hours ago, Cletus said:

Accepting Jesus is not a work at all.

29 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

because it is not something we can earn, or make happen, or get by our own means.

I think this is where I get confused. Is accepting Jesus something that we can rightly do on our own or does Jesus first call to us, thus preparing our way to accept Him? Another way of asking this is do individuals first chose Jesus and thus receive the Grace of God, or does Jesus first chose individuals who then feel called to Jesus to receive the Grace of God?

• Praise God! 1

7 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

I think this is where I get confused. Is accepting Jesus something that we can rightly do on our own or does Jesus first call to us, thus preparing our way to accept Him? Another way of asking this is do individuals first chose Jesus and thus receive the Grace of God, or does Jesus first chose individuals who then feel called to Jesus to receive the Grace of God?

John 6:44

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jonah 2:9

But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.

All we really do is CHOOSE to accept Jesus or CHOOSE to deny Jesus.  Even when someones testimony says they chose God or they said a certain prayer there was more going on than they were aware of.  God does each one of us a little different.  Personally I was apprehended.  Before I knew the word "apprehended"  i used to say God just came and took me.  came to me and put His Spirit in me.  I said no prayer, I did not call on Him or even say His name.  I probably never would have because i was exceptionally wicked and I was happy to be that way.  it was a point of pride for me. 

Rev 3:20  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

learningtoletgo,  I can not tell by your profile, but are you saved?  is there a moment of your life when you can say God came into your heart, or you accepted Jesus as your savior?

• Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

3 hours ago, Cletus said:

learningtoletgo,  I can not tell by your profile, but are you saved?  is there a moment of your life when you can say God came into your heart, or you accepted Jesus as your savior?

Is there is a moment when God came into my life? Yes! It was profound, humbling, terrifying, loving, and utterly awesome.

Do I love Jesus? Yes, dearly.

Do I call myself Christian? No, I never have used that word to describe myself.

Am I saved? Honestly, I don't know. I just don't know...

• Praise God! 1

Just now, LearningToLetGo said:

Is there is a moment when God came into my life? Yes! It was profound, humbling, terrifying, loving, and utterly awesome.

Do I love Jesus? Yes, dearly.

Do I call myself Christian? No, I never have used that word to describe myself.

Am I saved? Honestly, I don't know. I just don't know...

Hi LearningToLetGo,

Wonderful to hear of your love for Jesus and your experience with God. Now as you, (& we as believers) continue following and learning to trust, (life long process) then it is the Lord who will keep us to the end of our lives

`Now unto Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,....` (Jude 24)

It is to the Lord we look, and not to ourselves to keep ourselves. And that is a whole great topic to look into.

regards, Marilyn.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm reminded of Mark 10:21. And Jesus, looking at him loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." 22. Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. (ESV)

In this parable the young man is me. Although I am no longer young and don't have material wealth, I have acquired a great deal of intellectual and emotional possessions. I'm finding it difficult to let go. The irony is that I know this about myself, but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Sign in to follow this