• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

17 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

the northumbria community is a solid, well respected non denominational fundamental faith group, grounded in faith. It is not at all new age, occult or eastern influences faith mix. It is grounded in scripture and the Bible as the Word of God. It is against all the ideas of the bible being re-interpreted by our own modern thinking, or by history, or the idea that the Bible can be added to by new revelation. I think maybe you didnt read about the statement of faith and who the Northumbria community are.

:)    My previous post was meant to be informative of the range of opinions I've seen expressed at various times so you wouldn't be blindsided later.  The article contains various statements as well as quotations from groups and people that I've heard some here explicitly denounce with quite strong conviction.    I just wanted to give you a heads up that there are some for whom you are defending an indefensible practice and why they believe that.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

there are many things which can be two edged swords, depending on who is doing the wielding. there is nothing wrong with Christian contemplative prayer or this kind:

The OP by Archangel:   The State of the Church

"Do you think the church is on the path, or completely off the path? I mean, I see people flapping their arms and going into convulsions in some services, but... they're still on the path... right"

maryjane, nothing I said was about your praying method, good or bad. I was concerned the subject/debate would move towards your subject of contemplative prayer away from Archangel's subject of the state of the church on the right path or not. (called derailing) As it has, as in other threads. Why not start your own thread, open it up for discussion. Could be interesting............default_cool2.gif.d28f1bcd9db82f891627109f3a7cc4c9.gif

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

26 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, If you are inquiring of me, No! I do not think of you  as having anything to do with painting a  dark  picture, and certainly not black. You're a beacon of light, struggling mightily in a territory that has changed radically over years, and yet has many wonderful people still there too.

LA is a tough place, a very tough one to not be ambulatory within.  I still envision the LA that I once knew and drove about daily and how it has changed, when I read your posts.

You have a great uplifting spirit about you, plus you start some really great threads, especially when the mood of the board darkens onto dispute instead of fellowship. You often turn the tide and make it a happier day for many.  Take care.

:)Thanks so much for this encouraging reply. It is edifying to hear you say I am making a difference here. For that is my heart's desire.

It is such a privilege God has given us to bless one another at Worthy. Thanks for your faithful prayers, Neighbor. The Prayer Request forum is an important ministry here.

So is reaching out with helpful links and such. For example: the things you have thoughtfully shared with me from Zola Levitt Ministries. Have a nice weekend! :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 hours ago, maryjayne said:

https://www.northumbriacommunity.org/articles/listening-to-god/ this is what i mean by contemplation and meditation. Not unbiblical at all

Perhaps its another terminology thing? Its not an emptying of the mind and letting anything fill the vacancy.

b] Contemplation is not allowing anything to get in the way of God’s heart, not even the Bible.

THEM SOME SNEAKY FOLKS .    sis , they pushing this line of thought everywhere .     FLEE IT .      and never look back .

THEY know HOW to word things that make it seem as though GOD appoves .

I SEEN exactlywhat I needed too,  RIGHT in that line .    NOT even the bible .  YEP   I was waiting for this one .

You flee these teachers and never ever look back .  

The contemplative move is huge .    it was birthed from Rome , but it has its ways of sneaking into other denominations that will pander to that denomination .

YALLL FLEE IT .     And never look back .      not even a glance back .  

8 hours ago, maryjayne said:

PS Celtic contemplative prayer has been going on since around 290AD, nothing to do with Eastern religions or yoga. 

PS.   mysticism has been around since even the birth of the true church .    they had gnostics and such too.   

Satan always finds a way in .     He will disguise himself as LIGHT .     Yall FLEE THIS fast .  I beg , no I plead , no I beg and I plead .   get away from it .

Its tied into feeling , emotionalism .      Let us not be like lotts wife and even look back.  FLEE It sister .  I would not warn out against it , just to warn out .

17 hours ago, Follower Of Jesus said:

He that is not against us, is for us. He that does not gather with us, scatters abroad.

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican"

Likewise if a member in your church sins, confront them.

Don't jump from church to church when you find sin. Unless the church's foundation is on sand. If your church's foundation is built on the cornerstone Jesus Christ set true, the Holy Spirit will deal with sin accordingly. 

For all members of the body of Christ are the church.

TWO major mega things .    IF the leadership of said chuch is teaching the dung filled stuff, correct and if they wont hear , YOU FLEE and I mean flee and never even look back .

IF you left you wallet in the church  DONT Even return to get it .     Many pastors will howl on JESUS day .   THEY did this ,  and as with the pastor so with those who love and sit

under them .   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

6 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Psalms  119 v 15 I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.

Psalms 119 v 27 Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.

Psalms 143 v 5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands. 

Psalms 1 v 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. 

not further revelation beyond scripture, but giving time and space to ponder on the words of God, as revealed in the Bible.

There are many different ideas of contemplation, and to dismiss all contemplation due to the erroneous ways of some is not right. There are some very bad prayers and prayer warriors out there, but we dont have a blanket dismissal of prayer due to the failings of some. 

I agree with you.  As long as it is Biblical meditation as noted in the above Scripture references, there is nothing wrong with it. :heart: As well as studying the Bible, we need to take time to ponder on the Scriptures and allow it to sink more into our hearts, not just our brains.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

On 9/27/2018 at 5:03 PM, Archangel Thyos said:

I can't tell if you're joking or not. There are a lot of very serious folks here.

is Psalm 150 a joke?

with over 4000 posts and several years under the belt, I know all about serious folks here

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

22 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Sevenseas said

quote:

"interesting

I've seen some services in which I thought someone should call 911 because there was no evidence of life

1Praise the Lord. a

Praise God in his sanctuary;

praise him in his mighty heavens.

2Praise him for his acts of power;

praise him for his surpassing greatness.

3Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,

praise him with the harp and lyre,

4praise him with timbrel and dancing,

praise him with the strings and pipe,

5praise him with the clash of cymbals,

praise him with resounding cymbals.

6Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Praise the Lord.

Psalm 150 with no apologies"

turtletwo reply:

:amen: (I love this psalm, btw!) There are some pretty extreme 'extremes' out there. You could call the group you cited the 'sleeping saints' and the hyper bunch 'the circus saints' (too much theatrics, too little substance.) 

right and I've seen 'em both

however, we should have liberty in Christ to be joyful in praise and as Psalm 150 illustrates

I have also known those who just clapping hands is over the top and some just want that 1 hr special at church and then...'what's for lunch' ?