• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.47
  • Content Count:  44,258
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

Worthy News Brief - October 2, 2018

Friend, what is YOUR life!

James 4:13-14 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit"; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

The 10 days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are known as the "Days of Awe", a short but intense time for deep introspection and repentance as the "New Year" begins. During this time, I was spending a few days in Eilat with my family as we concluded hosting a tour with 40+ people in Israel for two weeks. One morning, I took my daughter Elianna snorkeling off the coral reefs in the Red Sea, and suddenly found myself in a precarious and frightening situation. As we were swimming, I became separated from my snorkel vest which rapidly drifted away from me in the strong wind that was blowing. As I was losing sight of the vest I found myself faced with a difficult decision: stay with my daughter.... or go after the vest. I decided to stay with Elianna, since we were in roughly 20 feet of water.

After snorkeling for half an hour, we finished our underwater adventure. Returning to the car we started off, and there, in the distance, was my neon green snorkel vest.. "Now", I thought, "I can go after this $15 vest, with my daughter safely in the car". I jumped out and back into the water, and began swimming fast as I could toward the vest, but after three or four minutes of hard effort I suddenly took in a large gulp of salt water, and found myself unable to breathe, coughing and struggling to catch my breath as the water entered my lungs. Now the water was maybe 25 feet deep, and the snorkel vest still 20 feet out of reach with the wind still driving it away from me. And so, another decision: do I still go after the vest – or return to shore? I clearly decided to return to dry land. But now, the swimming was much more difficult with the strong wind against me. I could just about doggy paddle, unable to take a deep breath with the water in my lungs. I honestly thought, "This is the end of my life – I am dying to save a $15 snorkel vest!"

Now I have the luxury of looking back on this experience, genuinely feeling that this was the end of me... and I can say it gave rise to serious introspection and evaluation of what I have done in life. For those 10 minutes struggling to return to shore, I wasn't thinking about my salvation, or what might happen if I die now. Believe it or not, my most pressing thought was whether I'd prepared my kids for these "Last days". My deepest concern was – "Are they ready for what is coming!?"– and I also struggled with regrets about other things I could have done better!

The Bible declares that, “All things work together for good for those that love Him and are the called according to His purpose.” I definitely see this scary experience as a wake-up call to focus on preparing not only my children, but also my family – including my readership family -- for what the Bible describes as a "time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation." [Daniel 12:1]

Friend, just look around at this world, literally careening toward the apocalypse. Yes, it still may be a few or even several years away, but the time seems to be speeding up and Jacob's trouble [Jeremiah 30:7] seems just beyond the horizon. Some say we will not be around for it, but just in case we are, are we truly ready? I, for one, am taking this little adventure to heart. You also might ask, if you found yourself drowning to death, what might you be thinking and feeling, and what might the Lord be saying to you? As for me, the Lord used a $15 vest to refocus my life. My prayer is that you also might be encouraged to take stock and make changes accordingly. As many others have shared, near death experiences have a way of reprioritizing our values. And God knows that will bear eternal consequences.

Your family in the Lord with much agape love,

George, Baht Rivka, Elianna & Obadiah
Arad, Israel

Editor's Note: We're starting to put together our Winter Tour to the States. If you would like to us minister at your congregation, home fellowship, or host a Israel focused event, be sure to let us know ASAP. You can send an email to george [ @ ] worthyemail.com for more information. 

Friend, if our ministry has blessed you, consider supporting our work online and in Israel! Thank you for your prayers and gifts! Together, we are making a difference for the Kingdom!
Around the World
Italy scares markets and Europe, again, with new calls to leave the euro
The Italian government is creating further turmoil in financial markets on Tuesday morning, after new comments that Rome would be better outside of the euro zone.
Auto restrictions in Trump trade deal with Mexico, Canada used to pressure China
President Trump’s ability to wangle a new deal from NAFTA partners Mexico and Canada will give the White House leverage to take a harder line in the escalating trade war with China, administration backers said Monday.
NAFTA overhaul paves the way for US, Canada auto-manufacturing rally
The revised trade agreement between Canada, Mexico and the U.S. should buoy automotive manufacturing in North America and give the Trump administration heightened leverage in its trade negotiations with China.

Israel-Palestinian Conflict
UNRWA evacuates officials from Gaza to Israel
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) had evacuated 10 of its international senior employees from Gaza to Israel on Monday, after they were threatened and harassed by UNRWA's disgruntled local Palestinian staff following the agency's announcement to cut more than 250 jobs.

Inside the United States
Trump sees vindication in new trade deal with Canada, Mexico
President Trump on Monday checked off a major campaign promise that seemed impossible when he made it: rewriting the 24-year-old North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico.
Trump says close to finalizing effective ban on gun bump stocks
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday his administration is just a few weeks away from finalizing a regulation that would ban so-called bump stocks, devices that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire like machine guns.

Christian News
Rebels in Burma Detain More than 90 Christian Leaders, Shut Down More Churches
After shutting down at least 10 churches in early September, ethnic Wa rebels in eastern Burma (Myanmar) have closed dozens of other churches and detained 92 Christian leaders and 42 students in a bid to curtail Christian activities, sources said.

Letters to the Editor

Editor's Note
If you would like to submit a note to the editor, simply hit reply. Be sure to add your name and location!

We're looking for intercessors to pray for our ministry online and in Israel. If you're interested, please send an email to george [@] worthyemail.com.

If you'd like to get a copy of our family newsletter, please send george [@] worthyemail.com an email.

Friend, help spread WORTHY BRIEFS, now reaching 126 countries daily! Forward this brief to a friend!

IMPORTANT NOTE: To ensure delivery of your Worthy Brief please add worthynewsbrief [@] worthynetwork.com to your address book or approved senders list.

If you're having problems receiving your Worthy Brief, click here!

Follow Us on Facebook
Worthy News
Worthy Devotions

Follow Us on Twitter
Worthy News
Worthy Devotions

Support our Ministry
Friend, if our ministry has blessed you, consider supporting Worthy Network with a tax-deductible gift! You can give online OR send gifts to:

Worthy Ministries
106 Sheffield Place
Franklin, TN 37067-4437

Please include your email address in the memo section of your check or money order so we can keep in touch a bit easier than sending mail overseas.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>

unsubscribe from this list | Update Subscription Preferences

Worthy News · 106 Sheffield Place · Franklin, TN 37067-4437 · USA