• Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 10/6/2018 at 10:30 AM, PepperS said:

Is this thread typical?

Yep.  :laugh:

We've entered that time of year when the "Halloween/Thankgiving/Christmas/*insert holiday here* is Evil!!!!" threads begin to show up. The titles vary, but its usually along that line. After that it'll be Easter, Boxing Day, etc. happens every year, though it seems a bit early this year.

I've spent too many years working nights, weekends, and holidays so I tend to forget about the lesser ones (except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter) unless I'm reminded. Halloween I ignore, but if someone finds a good way to share the gospel during a gathering, etc. I'd say anything that puts Christ and His will first would be a good thing. The "Big 3" holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Easter) celebrate them in a way that puts Christ first - or don't, so long as Christ is first - its a personal conviction thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

Some seem to think that this event is trivial and it is a North American tradition that should continue with their progeny .   After all, a little fun with the theme of suspense and drama, that entails blood [of course fake blood ]and the grave is harmless or so we are told by the sympathetic of those who agree with those who partake on the symbolism of darkness and all that is stands for.  Christians are not partakers that has anything that represents darkness, and we are to flee such.  

Here is a sermon to edify and maybe enlighten those who are dabbling, yes I use the word dabbling in the unfruitful works of darkness. Come out of that foolishness and let your light shine on the lamp stand.  

Should Christians Participate in Halloween?

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=102002844

Halloween Dangers

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=102400214730

Edited by warrior12
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Ah... the debate. I'll post upfront that I no longer celebrate All Hallow's Evening, Christmas, Easter, or artificial Church Calendar Days initially thrown out by Reformed Protestants as unworthy and unBiblical along the lines of the regulative principle of worship vs the normative principle of worship. That is, that God instructs that, “God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth” (Jn. 4:24). This takes a high view of Scripture as the sole rule of faith and practice, removing especially from church worship any element not explicitly mentioned in the Bible in order to avoid any risk of compromise and obvious violation of what is pleasing to God according to His dictates of appropriate worship. This by-and-large contrasts specifically with Catholic theology or theologies offering God worship based also on sacred tradition instituted by the Church. It harkens back to a time where abuses had crept into the Church based on trying to honour God in man-made fashion. So, overall, this generally translates to the highest view of the Lord's Day over and against most other artificial constructs of a Church Calendar.

Now, having said that, and having acknowledged I don't religiously observe Hallowe'en or many other such days, I can also somewhat defend those Christians who do, or who especially are intent to honour God in every aspect of their lives including holiday observances. Yes, Hallowe'en has pagan origins, and yes, Christians eventually attempted to co-op most pagan cyclical observances into the Church Calendar as a missionary tool; but All Saints' Day, honouring the sacrifices and martyrdoms especially pertinent to early struggles of Christianity in very hostile environs is rooted in the first high honour of worship allocated by the Church outside Lord's Day observance. That is, placing a premium of observance and recognition of a saint's homecoming into heaven was of special importance long before official designation of Christmas, Easter, or other days now so popular among Christian observances. These are the Christian roots of Hallowe'en, as a Christian Memorial Day.

Further, abuses surrounding saints' relics, certificates of indulgences, and the like, was the prime reason Hallowe'en was chosen by Martin Luther to launch a call for Church reforms that would become the Protestant Reformation. Some today even replace a Hallowe'en observance with a Reformation Day observance, since they exactly coincide. So, whether from putting a focus on spiritual reformation or on a memorial honouring of those Christians gone before us to their eternal reward, there are reasons of celebrating that would seem honourable. And as others have pointed out, one other take of redeeming Hallowe'en away from pagan ritual is using the day or evening to focus on the very real terrors of sin and Hell awaiting the unrepentant – a sort of, “Sinners In the Hands of an Angry God” approach.

I still say the greater part of wisdom and holy comportment is to avoid any religious observance of the day, but there are uses of it that can be put to hopeful well-intent.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:44 AM, Abby-Joy said:

Thank you for sharing these... I'm glad someone is speaking against this stuff from behind the pulpit.  

If you go on youtube, you can search a channel called "Three Hearts Church" and they have a few different messages on halloween.

Titles:

"Halloween: Spells, Skulls and Bones"

"Halloween: Beware of Satan's Devices"

"The Evils of Halloween: Witchcraft, Familiar Spirits, Demons and Seances

"Halloween Sacrifices

"Halloween: Satan's High Holy Day"

Its quite certain our dear sister abby , aint BUYING into this celebrate Halloween in any way .   She is like nope ,  we don't Honor GOD by christanizing evil .

AND YOU SPOT ON SISTER.   And frankly it don't matter if churches , rome and pagans march against ya ,  I LOVES YA .    We don't give evil a millimeter

for it will become the RULER of our hearts .     You loved sister .    There is a saying ,  give the darkness an inch , AND IT WILL become the RULER .     HOW TRUE this is .  

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

we don't Honor GOD by christanizing evil .

I just have a question. What is meant by Christianizing evil? Or in this case Halloween?  I'm not going to argue. I just don't understand what Christianizing evil or Halloween is? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

to take anything of the world and placing the Christian label on it....as to make it acceptable and agreeable as in rationalizing things we should not do or participate in. We as Christians are suppose to be  set apart, not to be of the world. The Lord has set us apart for Himself. If we do, dress, speak and so on like the unbelievers do so how can we be  set apart or even how can we set or be a testimony to a dark world.

• This is Worthy 1

4 hours ago, marvalusxoxo said:

If we do, dress, speak and so on like the unbelievers do so how can we be  set apart or even how can we set or be a testimony to a dark world.

I consider the way we treat others and our kindness to be what sets us apart from the rest of the world. Not so much about how we dress or what holidays we keep or don't keep. Not telling anyone what they should do here but that is just my take on how we are different then the world. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

well my dear if we claim to be believers and servants of the most high ....should we not believe and obey GOD's word...or do we just want to choose what suits our self serving life style...read the book of timothy for starters. and in addition, when I said...set us apart...it was not my opinion but the creator's and only true GOD Jesus Christ's words....I will let it for you to find that in the best book in the world....the bible.

• Loved it! 1

13 hours ago, marvalusxoxo said:

well my dear if we claim to be believers and servants of the most high ....should we not believe and obey GOD's word.

What makes you think I am not?  Other wise I would not say that kindness should set us apart. Love should set us apart. Anyone can follow the "rules".  Not do this or dress like that. Not to partake in this or that.  But to love. To have love to show love. That is prove of a heart that is changed and a heart that belongs to God.