IGNORED

Do you need to be baptized immediately after being saved?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I wasn't baptized immediately after being saved, I was told by someone that is very wrong and should have been on the same day. 

Edited by Freyr_Ornbo
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

Your “ someone” was probably well- intentioned, but Bible ignorant.There are ten types of baptism in the Bible. Five of them are dry.There is only one of these baptisms that plays a part in your salvation.Paul stated that there is only one baptism—- The baptism of the Holy Spirit thAt puts you in the Body of Christ.Without immersion( or baptism) into that exclusive Body, one is lost.If you believe Paul’s Gospel thAt saves if merely BELIEVED—- 1cor15:1-4— you are in that body.Water baptism is an outward showing of an internal event....the death of the old man and the rising up of the new man in Christ.It does not save .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

No.

Immediate baptism was standard practice in the first century, but hardly ever happens now.

It's good to be baptised as soon as possible, but it doesn't matter overmuch if there's a delay. For various reasons, I wasn't baptised until 9 months after I became a Christian. Now that I've been a Christian for 45 years, 9 months doesn't feel a very long time at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Deborah_ said:

No.

Immediate baptism was standard practice in the first century, but hardly ever happens now.

It's good to be baptised as soon as possible, but it doesn't matter overmuch if there's a delay. For various reasons, I wasn't baptised until 9 months after I became a Christian. Now that I've been a Christian for 45 years, 9 months doesn't feel a very long time at all!

Forgive my nosiness , but had you died during that 9 month delay, would you have been lost? Thanks.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

1 hour ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Forgive my nosiness , but had you died during that 9 month delay, would you have been lost? Thanks.

I don't think so! 

Baptism is an issue of obedience, not of salvation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,274
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

5 hours ago, Freyr_Ornbo said:

I wasn't baptized immediately after being saved, I was told by someone that is very wrong and should have been on the same day. 

No, you don't need to be immediately baptized.   There are various legitimate reasons for delay in getting baptized.  The important thing is that you are now born again through faith in Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

9 hours ago, Freyr_Ornbo said:

Water baptism is a choice, a choice that affirms you identify with Jesus as God. It is a step of personal obedience, and in my experience, people who choose water baptism grow like weeds in the Christian faith soon afterward. Think of some good reasons to delay, then think of some good reasons to be baptized in water!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

14 hours ago, Freyr_Ornbo said:

No, baptism is a public declaration of a decision you have already made in your heart.

When you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior your name is written in the lamb's book of life.

That being said, we are hybrids of the physical and the spiritual. A physical public declaration of our faith, although not required, is an import step of faith.

"Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven." - Matthew 10:32-33

With my deepest affection,

Your Brother in Chris

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

15 hours ago, Freyr_Ornbo said:

How long after you've believed were you eventually baptized?

Baptism is an open testimony for you to declare to fully follow God, rather than just being saved when you first accepted Him.  I often compare baptisms with weddings.

Yes, it's best to be baptized ASAP after you've accepted Christ, so the devil or the world wouldn't pull you away, but it's also important to be baptized when you're ready to fully follow/trust in God.  Some churches urge early baptisms to ensure the believer is "in the club" or to fulfill the meeting place's objectives other than caring for one's spiritual growth, but although baptism ASAP should be encouraged, but not be pressured.  It'd be just as bad to have parents pressuring you to get married as soon as they know you're seeing someone.

However, don't delay too long, either.  Consult the elders or mature members of the church and pray about it.  I was baptized almost a year after believing, partly for the wrong concept of one needs to know the Bible thoroughly first, and that I'm hesitant when making major decisions.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

while I agree that it is not mandatory for immediate baptism, however it certainly does not hurt...…     and the people I know who have come to salvation want to be baptized as soon as possible...  Personally I see no reason to wait when it is available.