Yowm

Is God In Any Way Obligated to Love Us...

it is a strange word, obligated, when you are talking about the only true sovereign!

However, He does make covenants, and He obligates Himself to them as long as the others keep  their end of the bargain, otherwise the contract becomes null and void, exercise as an option by God. 

He has no obligation to love us, but it is what He does, and it is His nature to love us.

However, that love looks different for some than for others, He provides the earth for example, that provides food and air, etc., but although He paid the price for sins, He does not save everyone. That is not going to be seen as love by some, but the judge of the world, will do what is right.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

14 hours ago, Yowm said:
16 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

I think you are putting a restriction and condition on God's love.

I can agree with Yowm that God cannot love us fully without forgiveness not because He cannot forgive but because someone does not accept the forgiveness that has been given....once, for all. The result of not accepting is they can't enter into the full blessing of a loving relationship with Him. In that sense He cannot love us fully because it requires our involvement. It's not because God can't love or has a condition on giving His love it's because it must be received. It's us that is restricting, not God 

Heb 7:27  He has no need to offer sacrifices every day like high priests do, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he sacrificed himself.

Heb 9:28  so the Messiah was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people.(only many because not all are willing to receive. M2)

Heb 10:10  By God's will we have been sanctified once and for all through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus, the Messiah.

These verses indicate to me that God forgave everyone past, present and future once, for all, through the Christ at the cross.

For us to say God must forgive a person before he can love them is to say that Jesus would have to go back to the cross for every single new person seeking His love or if He wanted to love them.  Obviously that is not the answer. If Jesus died once for all it can only mean that the forgiveness has been done once for all  and that means you might have to add something in to the mix...

That is...the onus is on us to remove the restriction. God's already done everything  Joh 19:30  After Jesus had taken the wine, he said, "It is finished." 

Now if you are referring to salvation.....

P.S. I don't think God is obligated to do anything

Seems to me you are skirting around these verses which require the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sin...unless you are willing to charge God with lying...

Leviticus 17:11 NKJV
[11] For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.'

Colossians 1:14 NKJV
[14] in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

Hebrews 9:22 NKJV
[22] And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.

Seems to me with this post you are skirting around the topic of the post..."Is God obligated to Love". I believe my post you are responding to is on topic.

And you are skirting around my line of thought that the sense of justice that God has instilled upon us is a tool He uses to show His love  for us in that rather than rightly leave us condemned He has forgiven.

I'm not disputing the truth of the verses you have quoted (they are a part of that) but I am of the impression that the reason for the OP was to dig a little deeper into our understanding of God, which I am thankful to you that it has for me. It has caused me to think about new things.

Yowm, based on what I have read over the past year I have a lot of respect for you and your theology but just because you are unwilling to understand my line of thinking doesn't mean you pull the card that says I have to accept your theology or I am calling God a liar.

I expect that from some others on this forum, but you.....

Edited by Mike 2

9 hours ago, Kristin said:

@Yowm

yes I agree. I was hesitant with the word in the OP “obligated”. He just does love us. Why? It’s confounding. But surely He does. 

Perhaps it is better if I had said, 'His affections are always toward us but He cannot ACT on those affections apart from the Cross. What do you think?

• Brilliant! 1

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

Perhaps it is better if I had said, 'His affections are always toward us but He cannot ACT on those affections apart from the Cross. What do you think?

Exactly .     HIS DESIRE is to forgive us and for us to be saved .   BUT it cannot happen OUTSIDE THE CROSS , OUTSIDE the SON .    TIS ONLY IN HIM we are forgiven

our faith must be IN CHRIST .    any rejection is only WRATH and GOD DOES HATE when the SON is trampled under foot .

SO while GOD does so love the WORLD that HIS only begotten SON , that all who believe in HIM will be saved ,  REJECT that and their is no forgivness.

And that act of rejection is hated greatly BY GOD .   Jacob have I loved , but essau have I hated .   YEP and ESSAU SOLD HIS BIRTHRIGHT .

Our birthright IS ONLY IN CHRIST , sell or reject that ,  and be prepared to hear ,  my children in Christ I have loved , but the essaus who rejected have I hated .  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/6/2018 at 9:03 PM, Yowm said:

...apart from His Son Jesus?

Somebody else may have already said this, I didn't have time to read to the end of the post, but love isn't something God DOES as much as it's something God IS. He is true to His nature, therefore, He loves by default. That's not to say His loving us overrules our will. He loves even those who reject Him and die lost.

So, yes, I'd say He is obligated by His very nature.

2 minutes ago, Peavey said:

Somebody else may have already said this, I didn't have time to read to the end of the post, but love isn't something God DOES as much as it's something God IS. He is true to His nature, therefore, He loves by default. That's not to say His loving us overrules our will. He loves even those who reject Him and die lost.

So, yes, I'd say He is obligated by His very nature.

His nature is also Holy and Just. Can His love run roughshod over His Holiness and Justice?

• Brilliant! 1

25 minutes ago, Yowm said:

His nature is also Holy and Just. Can His love run roughshod over His Holiness and Justice?

An answer you already know , but some don't .    and the answer is , their is absolutely no part of GOD that can contradict Himself in any way .   Which includes His love

and His judgement .     Folks these days don't realize this , as many have been spoon fed a false version of what LOVE even is .  FOR LOVE does not contradict GOD

or HIS RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT .     mans sensual love contradicts God all the time .   Because if one KNOWS not GOD , then they know not LOVE EITHER .

Only a version that is of darkness .    Which aint love at all .    

20 hours ago, Yowm said:

Are you saying that love is in contrast to holiness and justice?

30 minutes ago, Peavey said:

Are you saying that love is in contrast to holiness and justice?

No, I am saying God can't just 'love' willy nilly without negating His holiness and justice.  It took the work of the Cross to keep all three intact...Love/Just/Holy

• Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

No, I am saying God can't just 'love' willy nilly without negating His holiness and justice.  It took the work of the Cross to keep all three intact...Love/Just/Holy

Yowm.  I don't care what the emperor pope says about ya .   I LOVES YA .    too many have been taught a wacked out version of love .  That is the problem .

Any love that is not compatible with GOD ,   IT JUST AINT LOVE at all .    The LOVE of GOD , does not contradict HIM.    But too many got put to sleep with bedtime

stories of a God that is not compatible with the GOD of the BIBLE , and learned a love that is not compatible to HIS LOVE .    

• Thumbs Up 1