IGNORED

Is Hell Real?

Is Hell Real?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hell Real?

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Riccardo said:

I believe in hell, but its not what most call hell, its all about what each persons perception & how they interpret it. 

No, Hell is what the Bible says it is.

I  don't believe in an eternally forever burning hell by a loving God, that is not love in any shape or form, I believe the consequences are eternal.

God is holy before God is ever love.   Holiness, not love, is God's chief attribute.   If you cannot see the holiness of God, then an eternal Hell would not make sense to you.   But when we understand just how much God hates sin, Hell makes perfect sense.

Like Sodom & Gomorra is not burning still but the bible says forever, there are other cases. I'm sorry I struggle at time to sit for long periods so I can't at time go into depth with quotes. The old testament 4,000 years of it never mentions a place of eternal burning punishment you could possibly wonder why God never once mentions through his prophets in the old testament. And don't try and tell me the Hebrew word Sheol in the bible means hell, regardless of what it is translated as in modern bibles. 

That view is the product of sloppy hermeneutics. The Bible holds Sodom and Gomorrah up, not to indicate the length of time the torment of judgment will take, but to show the permanence of God's judgement against sin. 

This all became popular through the catholic church, which probably all protestantism came out of & broke away from.

No, Jesus popularized it by preaching on it extensively.  The level of importance a person places on Hell, will determine the level of importance he places on Jesus.

I ask you to think, in your heart does it seem possible for an all loving God to punish people for all eternity, we are talking eternity here. Don't let the majority sway you, the majority was never correct in Jesus day & has never been & never will be. 

The problem with your premise is that God is not "all-loving."   That is something the Bible does not teach at all about God.   God is first and foremost, holy. 

People who reject Jesus commit an eternal sin, for which there are eternal consequences.   The funny thing about your statement is that the majority believe as you do.  There are far, far more people who share your view than share mine, that Hell will be a place of eternal, conscious torment.   

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

HELL.

1. GEHENNA 1067 referred to the continually burning rubbish dump on the south west side of Jerusalem, known as the valley of the sons of Hinnom (or Tophet). Jesus used the word "Gehenna" to describe the place of everlasting punishment because hell is a place of filth and stink, a place of smoke and pain, a place of everlasting fire and suffering. This garbage dump was likened to hell. It is used as a name for the place of everlasting punishment of the lost. It occurs twelve times in the New Testament. It is the ultimate hell of fire. It is the same as the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:14,15).
Matthew 5:22 “whosoever shall say, “Thou fool”, shall be in danger of hell fire” (gehenna of the fire).
Matthew 5:29 “And if thy right eye offend thee ... and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell” (gehenna).
Matthew 5:30 “And if thy right hand offend thee ... and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell” (gehenna).
Matthew 10:28 “...fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell”(gehenna).
Matthew 18:9 “And if thine eye offend thee, ... rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire” (gehenna).
Matthew 23:15 “Pharisees, ... ye make him twofold more the child of hell (gehenna) than yourselves.”
Matthew 23:33 “Ye serpents,... how can ye escape the damnation of hell?” (gehenna).
Mark 9:43 “And if thy hand offend thee, ... two hands to go into hell (gehenna), into the fire that never shall be quenched.”
Mark 9:45 “And if thy foot offend thee, ... two feet to be cast into hell (gehenna), into the fire that never shall be quenched.”
Mark 9:47 “And if thine eye offend thee, ... two eyes to be cast into hell fire” (gehenna of fire).
Luke 12:5 “Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell” (gehenna).
James 3:6 “the tongue is ... set on fire of hell” (set on fire by gehenna).

2. HADES 86 is the intermediate state between death and the ultimate hell (gehenna), the Lake of Fire. It is where unsaved departed spirits reside. Luke 16:23. Hades never denotes the physical grave, nor is it the permanent region of the lost. Hades occurs 10 times in the New Testament, and Sheol, the Old Testament equivalent occurs 59 times. 
Hades is associated with privation, detention and just punishment of the unsaved dead. Matthew 11:23 “Thou, Capernaum...shalt be brought down to hell” (hades). Luke 10:15 Hades here expresses Capernaum's absolute overthrow, from pride to humiliation.Matthew 16:18 “The gates of hell (hades) shall not prevail against it” (the churches’ attack). Luke 16:19-31 “And in hell (hades) he lifted up his eyes, being in torments 931 (punishment)” v.23. Hades here has two compartments, close to each other, yet different. Acts 2:27 “Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell (hades).” Acts 2:31 “That his (Christ's) soul was not left in hell (hades).”
Christ here descended into the underworld of the departed (Ephesians 4:9,10), to take the believers in it (eg: thief on the cross) up to heaven.
Believers now go to heaven at death, while unbelievers still go to hades at death, a place of punishment. Revelation 1:18 “I (Christ) ... have the keys of hell (hades) and of death.”
Revelation 6:8 “a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and hell (hades) followed with him.” Hades here is personified as the temporary destiny of the unsaved.
Revelation 20:13 “death and hell (hades) delivered up the dead which were in them.”
Revelation 20:14 “death and hell (hades) were cast into the lake of fire.” Note: Fire is used 27 times in the New Testament to describe the after-death punishment of unbelievers and of demons. 2 Thessalonians 1:8 “In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Matthew 13:42, 50 “And shall cast them into a furnace of fire.” Matthew 5:22; 18:9; Mark 9:43,45,47 “cast into fire unquenchable, hell fire.” Isaiah 66:24 “... look upon the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me, for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched.”
Mark9:44,46,48. Isaiah 33:14 “Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? Who among us shall dwell with the everlasting burnings?” Matthew 18:8 “Two hands or two feet be cast into everlasting fire.”
Matthew 25:41 “Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil
and his angels.” Jude 7 “Sodom and Gomorrha ... an example suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.” (Literally: of fire eternal, the penalty undergoing).
Revelation 19:20 “Beast, .. false prophet, ... and them that worshipped his image.
These were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.” Revelation 20:10 “the devil ... shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever” (for the ages of the ages).
Revelation 20:14,15 and Rev. 21:8 “death and hell were cast into the lake of fire.”
Revelation 14:10,11 “tormented with fire and brimstone ... the smoke of their torment
ascends up for ever and ever (for ages of ages), and they have no rest
(respite) day nor night...” 
3. SHEOL 7585 is hades of the Old Testament. In Hebrew, it means the depth, abyss, pit, world of the dead, underworld. It occurs 66 times in the Old Testament (grave 31 times, hell 30 times, pit 3 times). Though all Old Testament people went to the grave, the souls of some will receive punishment in sheol. Numbers 16:30 “Korah, Dathan and Abiram went down into the pit.”Psalm 9:17 “The wicked shall be turned into hell (sheol).” 
4. TARTARUS 5020 is the deepest abyss of Hades; a place where evil angels are imprisoned in torment, awaiting judgment and everlasting punishment. 2 Peter 2:4 is its only reference in the Bible. “If God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell (tartarus), and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment.”