1. 1. Is Hell Real?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  820
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  7

As an annihilationist I voted yes. The question is rather odd, because annihilationists don't deny hell, we simply deny that hell consists of eternal conscious torment. Instead we believe that the bible clearly teaches that the fate of the unsaved is death and the word 'hell' refers to Gehenna a.k.a. the Valley of the Sons of Hinnom which is described as a place of slaughter.

So I guess the question should rather have been, "who denies the idea that the fate of the unsaved is eternal conscious torment?" Neither ECT, nor Annihilationists nor Universalists deny hell, so I'm not surprised that there are no 'no' votes.

Edited by LuftWaffle

3 hours ago, Cletus said:

Mar 9:43  And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mar 9:44  Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

This says the fire never goes out and basicly you have maggots eating you forever. 

Isa 66:24  "And they shall go out and look on the dead bodies of the men who have rebelled against me. For their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be quenched, and they shall be an abhorrence to all flesh." 

Guest 1sheep

I agree. Its really obvious isnt it? 

Do you want to go hang out on a catholic chat site? I don't desire to fellowship with those who dont share my faith.

Guest 1sheep
44 minutes ago, LuftWaffle said:

As an annihilationist I voted yes. The question is rather odd, because annihilationists don't deny hell, we simply deny that hell consists of eternal conscious torment. Instead we believe that the bible clearly teaches that the fate of the unsaved is death and the word 'hell' refers to Gehenna a.k.a. the Valley of the Sons of Hinnom which is described as a place of slaughter.

So I guess the question should rather have been, "who denies the idea that the fate of the unsaved is eternal conscious torment?" Neither ECT, nor Annihilationists nor Universalists deny hell, so I'm not surprised that there are no 'no' votes.

You have to ignore alot of passages to come to your conclusion.

17 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

I'm aware of the ECT prooftexts. It's basically two sections in Revelation that are visionary symbols, but must be read at face value to support ECT. One parable in Luke (The rich man and Lazarus) which doesn't describe the fate of the unsaved, and then about five or six passages that require eternal conscious torment to be read into them before they can be used as proof texts, but in actual fact are better support for my view when understood in their context. Is that what you're referring to?

If so, I'm aware of those verses and I've studied them very carefully, but I'm always happy to discuss it with honest enquirers

Edited by LuftWaffle

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  827
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  0

40 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

Thank you for proving my point. 

You have someone who honestly believes the bible teaches something different from what you claim it teaches and this is the response "you" put forward?

Edited by Concretecamper

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Concretecamper said:

What about divorse and remmarraige, what about homosexual acts.

2 self proclaimed "saved" christians read the same Word of God.  Some say the bible doesn't teach divorse and remmarraige is wrong.  Some say the bible doesn't teach that homosexual acts are wrong.  You may say in both instances that these christians are wrong.  But they are as convinced as you are that they are right.

In matters of one's salvation, christians cannot agree on what the bible teaches.

Its real simple IF JESUS said we do , if he called something adultery IT IS .    And so on and so forth .    A small child just obeys HIS LORD .   They don't question , they OBEY .

and now a word FROM JESUS .    Lest ye be converted as small children , you can in NO WISE enter into the kingdom of heaven .   Folks can squabble all day to find a way to defend their sin .

As for me and those who love Christ , its simple , we do we obey What and who we love .   Just that simple .     

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

5 hours ago, 1sheep said:

What is your point? 

You are pointing out the obvious arent you? There will always be naysayers. Is this supposed to be a news flash?

But what I want to know is why would you be stuck on pointing out the obvious? ? 

Why not participate in a thread without dragging in the straw man? Is it beneficial and to whom?

What are you trying to accomplish here?

I asked you questions last night that you have yet to answer? Care to enlighten me?

Me thinks he might be trying to accomplish that ROME mission of learning to set aside differences type stuff and just having unity .     The fellow is roman catholic ,  is he not .

Create the dilemma , then offer the solution .    BUT we don't heed ROME or emergent or anyone lined up in that stuff .   

Guest 1sheep
41 minutes ago, LuftWaffle said:

I'm aware of the ECT prooftexts. It's basically two sections in Revelation that are visionary symbols, but must be read at face value to support ECT. One parable in Luke (The rich man and Lazarus) which doesn't describe the fate of the unsaved, and then about five or six passages that require eternal conscious torment to be read into them before they can be used as proof texts, but in actual fact are better support for my view when understood in their context. Is that what you're referring to?

If so, I'm aware of those verses and I've studied them very carefully, but I'm always happy to discuss it with honest enquirers

Why would I enquire into what I already can see? 

You cant cherry pick scripture to conclude what you think you know. 

What does eternal punishment mean in matthew 25:46? 

Guest 1sheep
4 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Me thinks he might be trying to accomplish that ROME mission of learning to set aside differences type stuff and just having unity .     The fellow is roman catholic ,  is he not .

Create the dilemma , then offer the solution .    BUT we don't heed ROME or emergent or anyone lined up in that stuff .   

I think you give out too much credit here. Some are simply parroting what they wrongly learned and come to bring division.