Is Hell Real?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hell Real?

I have heard that many Christians do not believe that hell is real. I found this to be absurd, but I am open to hearing both sides of the argument. So that is what has lead me to proposing this question, is Hell real?

If it is or is not please explain.

P.S. I for one do believe it exist. Sorry for the pun in the poll but is just too much for me to resist.

It has to exist, or God isn't just.

All those who raped, murdered, stole. They would be set free without a punishment.

If Christians go to heaven, then where to sinners go? 

As to what hell is really like, only your imagination can tell.

Edited by Follower Of Jesus
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, PepperS said:

Hell is not a place of punishment. It is the place people are sent to await judgement. At the end, Hell will be thrown into the Lake of Fire and burnt up. Hell is not a place of eternal punishment. 

Revelation 20:10 "And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, PepperS said:

Hell is not a place of punishment. It is the place people are sent to await judgement. At the end, Hell will be thrown into the Lake of Fire and burnt up. Hell is not a place of eternal punishment. 

Matthew 25:46  "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, PepperS said:

Yes the devil, the beast and the prophet will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

These are not regular sinners. 

This is from the verse you quoted.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

That includes all who were judged. Which is every man.

Again, what is the lake of fire? It's the place of eternal punishment

• Thumbs Up 2

Hell IS a place of punishment and it IS eternal.  But don't take my word for it.

[1]  Jesus said so - "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” This after explaining how God will judge the "sheep from the goats".  Matthew 25:41

[2]  Jesus said so - "It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into shell,  ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’ For everyone will be salted with fire."  Mark 9:44-49

[3] John said so - "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, 10 they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. Revelation 14:9-11

[4] Paul said so - "In flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction..."   2 Thessalonians 1:8-10.

There's more, but you will either believe it or you will not.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 2

2 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Hell IS a place of punishment and it IS eternal.  But don't take my word for it.

[1]  Jesus said so - "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” This after explaining how God will judge the "sheep from the goats".  Matthew 25:41

[2]  Jesus said so - "It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into shell,  ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’ For everyone will be salted with fire."  Mark 9:44-49

[3] John said so - "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, 10 they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. Revelation 14:9-11

[4] Paul said so - "In flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction..."   2 Thessalonians 1:8-10.

There's more, but you will either believe it or you will not.

AND WE BELEIVE IT .    CAUSE JESUS SAID IT .    I could care less what men say ,  mans opinions nor judgement counts .    BUT THE JUDGE stands at the DOOR

AND HIS WORDS DO COUNT .   THEY ARE LIFE and they are SPIRIT .   And by HIS WORDS which HE has spoken shall all men BE JUDGED on HIS DAY .   HE SAID THAT TOO .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PepperS said:

The lake of fire is a place of eternal torment for The Beast, the prophet and the devil.

Hell is burnt up and no more. 

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Malachi 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

When you read others passages, especially OT. Make sure you read in context. They can be referring to physical death.

"13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."

The sea gave up the dead which were who? All sinners.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."

- Death and hell which were the deliverers, were cast into the lake of fire (eternal punishment)

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Who is not found in the book of life? All sinners. Where do they go? Lake of fire (eternal punishment)

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jesus said that, are you going to argue against Jesus' word?

• Brilliant! 1

2 hours ago, Your Brother In Christ said:

I have heard that many Christians do not believe that hell is real. I found this to be absurd, but I am open to hearing both sides of the argument. So that is what has lead me to proposing this question, is Hell real?

P.S. I for one do believe it exist. Sorry for the pun in the poll but is just too much for me to resist.

The question should not be, 'Is Hell real?' but 'What is Hell?' For the word, 'Hell', is the translation of four words (Hebrew / Greek). The middle English word hell was chosen to translate these words, for it fitted perfectly: it simply means 'to hide away', and was the perfect word to translate what was, 'the place of the dead', or, 'gravedom': either in the grave, or the fires of Gehenna where the bodies of the dead will be placed for destruction following judgement during the end time.

If you look at the references within Scripture which refer to 'Hell', with the original meaning, 'to hide away' as a description of the place of the dead, in mind, without the meaning which tradition, Greek philosophy and general misuse has placed upon it: you will be left in no doubt as to what Hell actually is, and in so doing you will glorify God, and not malign Him with a doctrine which is contrary to Scripture and the nature of God Himself.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by Christine

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Your Brother In Christ said:

The importance you place on Hell will determine the importance you place on Jesus.  

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Behold
      Interesting title, isn't it?
      So, here is a little teaching info about "sin", that you might contemplate.
      There are worse sins, then others..    Tho... im sure you were taught that sin is sin is sin, its all just sin, and in fact, if the context of the discussion is the Blood Atonement, then in fact, sin is just sin, and the Blood covers and redeems you from them all, no matter what you've done, and no matter how many times you've done it or will do it. 
      Always remember, Saint, that confessing your same sins over and over does not erase what God through the Blood of Jesus, does not hold you accountable for, in eternity.  Understand ?   IN fact, if you read and believe Romans 4:8, you'll discoverer an amazing truth regarding your eternal redemption, and that is......even tho you sin, God does not hold you, the born again,  accountable for any of them, in eternity.   Down here, you reap what you sow....but that is not God's judgment, that is the law of "reaping and sowing" harming you for what you do wrong and won't stop.     In fact, God does not even charge you for your sin after you are born again.  Romans 4:8.  And why not?  Because He has already judged Christ for them all, on the Cross.  So, if you are the victim of a very self righteous type of "christian upbringing" that has you believing that you need to always be confessing your sin so that the salvation you lost again can be returned, then once you realize that you dont have to do this, and instead recognize that Jesus is your Savior, now, yesterday, and forever.....you're going to feel a lot of relief.   Now, should you have a talk with God about your bad behavior?  Of course.  Its good for the soul and clears the CONSCIENCE.
      So, how do you know that some sins are worse or greater then, others?   = Because Jesus said so... in John 19:11.    Read it.   
      And here is something that is interesting about sinning...   You don't have to literally do it, to be charged for doing it, as if you literally did it.   This is because God is a judge of the thoughts, motives, and intentions of your heart.  In fact, the "intent of your heart", is the main thing with God, and not so much you lifestyle.   And the reason is.  "As you think in your heart, so ARE YOU THAT".....   And this is interesting, because it can actually be the case that a person on the outside seems like a saint, and inside they are a devil.   Many are like this.  Many believers have their Christian Act down to an art , and can speak fluent Christianese in a pulpit or write it on a forum as if they invented righteousness. Yet, they are horrible people, inside, where it truly counts......where you can't bluff or fool the Almighty.     Remember when Jesus said that " if a person lusts after a woman in their HEART". Well, this is the same as actually engaging in the lust with her.
      There are 2 types of sinners.   One is the person who is usually head sinning, but never or seldom actually does the deed in real life, and then there is the person who is always doing the dirty deed.   In the 2nd case, the law of "reaping and sowing" is going to cause a lot of hurt once it arrives.
      And how do you know there are 2 types of sinners?   Well, its because God said this.... 1.) "if the unrighteous will turn from their THOUGHTS", and the 2.) "wicked turn from their DEEDS", God will have mercy on them. Isaiah 55:7
      2 types.
    • By Behold
      Matthew 6:33 - : 
      Matthew 6:33 King James Version (KJV)
      33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
      -
      Interesting verse.
      I thought i would share with you a view of it that you probably have not been taught.
      Typically, this verse is used by lost people, religious people, carnal ministers,  and barely saved Legalists to try to teach works in place of Salvation.
      Let me paraphrase the verse as would a carnal Christian. :   "if you live a righteous enough life, and seek God first always, then God will give you more blessings".   or " If you work hard enough for God, and put away all your sin, and live holy as you should, then God will not only accept you, but He will bless you as well, abundantly, and let you be a part of His Kingdom".
      Have you ever heard this verse preached in this fashion, or in this regard, or similar.?
      Ok, well, if so, you were taught wrong, and so, lets give you the verse's meaning   so that it will actually seem very simple to understand.    See, Saint, the way revelation of the Word works, is that God gives you Light so that a verse makes the most perfect sense, in simplicity, as it should.    Both Jesus and Paul were not teaching verbal Calculus.....ok?  They were teaching the doctrianal BASICS, in simplicity........So,  suddenly, when God's Light comes in....a verse that seems/seemed obtuse, or difficult to penetrate, suddenly seems clear as a bell, and simplified.
      That is the word being revealed to your inner man.
      So, what is the key to this, to getting the Light, .....?   How do you do it, so that verses "pop": and light up, and become easy to SEE ?
      Well, very simple.   You have to understand Grace. You have to be utterly theologically grounded in Grace .. (Hebrews 13:9)  And once you do have the true revelation of Grace, and are grounded.... then most verses in the NT, will become amazingly clear.   The best translator of the NT, is The Holy Spirit and GRACE.
      So, lets read this verse, thru the revelation of Grace, and you, i hope will SEE it in a way that it makes sense, clearly, in a way that it perhaps didnt before.
      Let me take the verse in parts...
      1. "seek first the kingdom of God".    And what is this all about?    Well, think of the verse as directed towards a person who is seeking God, and is not yet saved, and wants to be...
      God is saying..."seek my Kingdom".......by faith.
      2. "and His Righteousness"........ so once again, this is an admonition to SEEK after God and His Righteousness...
      How do you find God?   You SEEK. You KNOCK.   You BELIEVE the Gospel..

3. """and"", here this word is used like this.     1+1 EQUALS something.....       Like this.    let me paraphrase....."if you seek My kingdom and My righteousness (not yours) but MINE.....by Faith, then i will SAVE YOU, and you will become born again, and then ..........here is the 1+1 EQUALS.........."I God will ADD these , both of them, to you, as yours".  = I will save you.  You will become born again, and this blood atonement creates you to be now a part of the Kingdom of God and you will receive my RIGHTEOUSNESS.
      This verse is an admonition to believers and an offer to unbelievers..........very unique... God is explaining what to SEEK, and by Seeking He will GIVE THEM.... 1. Righteousness 2. Kingdom of God.........to the SEEKER.  by Faith..... if the seeker is Lost.
      So, now look at the verse..... this way.........  "If by faith, you will seek ME and MY Righteousness, and my Kingdom (same thing), i will give them both to you, .. i will make them a part of you, and you a part of them"...(both of them will be ADDED to You)..   
      And someone says....."ok, but why did you only direct this verse's POV at, towards, an unsaved person"?
      Well, its because if you are born again, you are already God's righteousness and you are already "translated from Darkness to Light", = and are already a part of the Kingdom of God.  IN other words, you already have it, both God's righteousness, and God's Kingdom of Light, (Kingdom of God) and that is why you , the born again, are referred to as "Children of the LIGHT"....
      But the unbeliever, does not have the righteousness of God, nor are the yet a part of the Kingdom of God, BUT, if they will SEEK, (By Faith) Yeshua, and believe, then God will add to them, the offer He is offering in the verse. 
    • By Bam2001
      Before reading, just know that is a long text, and may seem like something ridiculous and not needing to bother with to most of y'all, but this means a lot to me, and I keep hoping to find answers, but can't find any, so that's why I'm here...
      Hey, Everyone! I am fairly new to this Forum and excited to be a part of it! I was born into the faith, and have been a Christian my entire life (I'm 17 years old, lol). It wasn't until around I was about 12 or 13, though, that I began to become more interested in Christianity and the Bible, and at the age of 15, I discovered Apologetics, which helped me retain my faith that I was struggling with at the time. Thanks to that, I now have learned much more about Christianity than I ever thought I would, and I am so happy to know that Christ is Lord and that I am a Follower of Him! 
      So y'all are probably wondering "what does any of this have to do with Tupac Shakur, as named in the title?" Well, that's where the questions come in.

For any who don't know, Tupac Amaru Shakur (1971-1996) was a rapper who went by the stage names MC New York, 2Pac, and Makaveli. He was born in New York, and then moved to Maryland where he attended the Baltimore Academy of Arts (I believe that's what it is called), but then moved to California at the age of 17, where he was introduced to the drug and ghetto culture, where dealing, gang violence, sex, and robberies were frequent and even promoted. He was brought up as a thug, due to this, and incorporated this message in many of his songs. 
      Unlike many rappers today though, when Tupac rapped about drugs and crime, he didn't do it in an attempt to glorify them, he did it to show the consequences of dabbling with them and tried to show those that didn't live that lifestyle, what it's like to live it. Tupac even made songs that, to me, were very powerful. His songs such as: Changes, Dear Mama, Brenda's Got A Baby, Until the End of Time, etc. are enough to make one tear up (I did with Brenda's Got A Baby). Me, being born into the ghetto and being raised in a household of domestic violence, I began to feel extremely attached to his music and his message. I began to binge several of his interviews, videos, albums, films, etc. It got to the point to where he felt like a friend of mine, or even, family.

Then, I saw an interview where he was asked his religious views, and this is where it gets downhill. His songs and poems show that he was an extremely strong believer in God, but when he is asked about what he follows, he responds, stating that he believes that if you are good in your heart and do good things, then you are closer to God. But if you're evil in your heart and do bad things, then you're closer to the Devil. But he then went on to say that the Bible, he believes, was made by a person who wanted to find a way to control people. He says that the Bible says that certain people (prophets, patriarchs, etc) are good because they suffered a lot. He then went on to say that he got shot 5 times, and that he was 'crucified' by the media, and he 'walked through with the thorns on', and he told the thief (probably someone in the jail he was in) that 'this ain't supposed to happen, I'll come back for you.' Then he clarified by saying that he ain't saying he's Jesus, but that people go through that type of 'stuff' everyday. He then went on to attack a lot of what he sees as selfishness by megachurches and gigantic cathedrals who won't help homeless people who need God (although I don't have an issue with that point). During this interview, he was quick to make sure that he wasn't trying to disrespect anyone's beliefs, and that these things he's saying are simply his opinions only.

This broke my heart. I thought Tupac, someone who I see as an inspiration, was a full on believer! I began to overspeculate, and came to several conclusions, one of which was that Tupac wasn't being entirely truthful in the interview, as he does have different tones with different interviewers, and that he truly did believe in the Bible, but then I felt like I was lying to myself. There several factors that contribute to my continued belief that Tupac was a Christian. Such as:
      - He had a giant tattoo of a cross on his back
      - He had a tattoo of a cross, along with Jesus' face, with the words "Only God Can Judge Me" on his arm
      - His most frequently worn necklace was a necklace of a cross
      - He was extremely close to his mother, who was a very devout Christian, who even claimed that the group she was in (Black Panther Party) failed because they didn't involve God
      - In many of his songs, he implements Christian tones: "Hail Mary", "Only God Can Judge Me", "Black Jesuz", "Ghetto Gospel", "I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto"
      - Many of his lyrics point to a Christian belief: 
      "Father please forgive me for my life of sin, my hard stare seems to scare my sister's kids.." (Until the End of Time)
      "Get on yo knees to pray, Oh Lord, Help me change my ways, and show a lil mercy on judgment day, it ain't me I was raised this way.." (Hell 4 a Hustla)
      "Is there a ghetto in heaven or do I go to hell?" (Gotta Survive)
      "Picture a world where black babies can survive past five, but we must keep hope, quotin the reverend from the pulpit.." (Everything You Own)
      "Question for the Lord, why don't He like me, please guard my soul" (High Speed)
      "Just another lost soul stuck callin Jehovah.. Father how the hell did I survive these five shots?" (All Out)
      "and I wonder if the Lord ever heard of me.." (Po N*gga Blues)
      "and I pray to black Jesus to please take the rest of me.." (As The World Turns)
      "Before I go to sleep I pray and thank the Lord for another fruitful day.." (F*ckin with the Wrong N*gga)
      "Dear God I been feeling like I'm close to Jesus.." (Catchin Feelings)
      "And God said He should send His one begotten son
      to lead the wild into the ways of the man
      Follow me; eat my flesh, flesh and my flesh" & "Catch me father please, cause I'm fallin," (Hail Mary)
      "Cry later but for now let's enjoy the laughter
      God bless the dead" (God Bless the Dead)
      "Dear Lord..How can I survive? Got me askin white Jesus
      will a  brotha live or die, cause the Lord can't see us
      in the deep dark clouds of the projects, ain't no sunshine
      No sunny days and we only play sometimes" (Still I Rise)
      "Keep yo' head up and try to keep the faith
      And pray for better days" (Better Dayz)
      "Searchin for Black Jesus
      It's hard, it's hard
      We need help out here
      So we searchins for Black Jesus
      It's like a Saint, that we pray to in the ghetto, to get us through" (Black Jesuz)
      "Who do you believe in?
      I put my faith in God
      Blessed and still breathing
      And even though it's hard
      That's who I believe in
      Before I'm leaving
      I'm asking the grieving
      Who do you believe in?" (Who Do You Believe In)
      These things often comfort me. In regards to Christianity, the closest he ever came to "insulting" it, is saying that the Bible wasn't "written by God". He harshly criticized pastors, priests, and especially televangelists, but he never once, not once, ever spoke bad about Jesus Christ. And even though he didn't hold the Bible in the same regard as we do here, he never insulted any prophet or person in the Bible that is shown as good. 
      What's strange though, is that, in an interview after this, Tupac, while acting in a movie called "Gang Related", states that his faith is in "Black Jesus" and that he has "been gifted by God, by Black Jesus". Here, Tupac refers to Jesus as God, (the reason he uses the term "Black Jesus", is because he wants to make it clear that he doesn't have the same thought pattern as WASP Christians) (also, note that this interview isn't part of the movie, lol).
      In an interview with MTV (I believe this was his last interview before he was eventually shot and killed), he compares Judas' Betrayal to his competition in the music industry. I don't remember what he said exactly, but it's easy to find online, and it's very short.
      After he was shot, he didn't die on the spot, but instead, fell into a coma and was rushed to the hospital, where he was alive for about 3-6 days until he eventually died from his wounds. During this time, he was visited by his mother, Afeni Shakur, and his aunt, Gloria Cox, both of whom were devout Christians, and they had with them, in Tupac's hospital room, an Evangelist, who was Tupac's aunt Gloria's cousin, who visited Tupac all the time and prayed over him, and also put oil over him and put a healing cloth on him, while he was still shot up and unconscious, but still alive. He eventually passed away, with the last ones seeing him pass on, being his mother and aunt.
      Now some of y'all may have a question of your own when reading this: "Why do you care so much?". Well, because I feel extremely close to Tupac, and he touched on so many things that meant a lot to me, and what he said are things that I very much relate to. He feels kind of like a best friend, or even a brother sometimes. I don't let this cloud my judgement, though, as there are aspects of him that I don't agree with. I don't want to follow the life he lived, and I believe that Biggie handled their feud in a much more mature manner and tried to calm people on both sides down, whereas Tupac, due to growing up in the ghetto and already being shot 5 times, became extremely paranoid and reacted somewhat militantly (though, only verbally, not physically). But as Tupac said, he didn't want to be seen as a role model, but instead, show the world what he alone was like.
      With all this being said, there are some questions I have regarding this.
      1) Tupac promoted songs and messages of righteousness, with some gangsta-type themes, only so he could connect and reach out to the people who lived in ghetto hood areas. First and foremost, 2Pac believed in helping the poor, and fought for those who couldn't, but often times his anger did get the best of him, and he would act out on it, but then regret it later on. ~ Does this make him more of a no good thug rather than someone who can be seen as good?
      2) Despite him not believing the divine context of the Bible (at least not at the time of the interview), do you think he could still be considered a Christian? He held a very strong and firm belief in God, and believed in the teachings of Christ as well. His Gang Related interview shows him calling Black Jesus, God. Maybe he could've been what is called an "Agnostic Christian"? What is the minimum requirement to being called a "Christian"?
      3) Would you say that Tupac made it into Heaven? Or that it seems like He could've? He did exactly what Jesus taught people to do in His Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, but he didn't seem to believe in Biblical authority, but he did refer to Jesus as God. This means he took Him as his "Lord", but I'm not sure if he then also took him as his "Savior". His body art and songs seem to show a promotion of Christian belief, though. I remember reading about King Solomon who was once righteous in the Eyes of God, but then turned to idolatry and had several women as his wives and concubines. I don't think Solomon would've landed in Hell though, so I don't think that what Tupac did, would've landed him in Hell (but I'm not the one to make that judgement).

Sorry for seeming somewhat dramatic, and over thinking the faith and actions of one man, but the reason I do this, is because I love Tupac and I genuinely care about his condition and his faith. If there's anyone here, especially a fan of 2Pac who may also know about his life, who can give an answer, then as Tupac said in Dear Mama, "you are appreciated". I kindly ask for as many answers that can be received as possible. Thank you, and God Bless!