• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

Found this article this morning and thought I'd share. You'll need to use the link as I could not get text to paste without wrecking the formatting.  :)

https://www.challies.com/articles/the-cost-of-surrounding-yourself-with-negative-people/

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

Guest 1sheep

Very good! 

Although I will say If one is not getting their daily bread they wont be much good at fulfilling the call . The light needs fuel. What good is salt that has lost its savor?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Or Osteen’s:

Jesus knew life was too short to waste his valuable time with the wrong people. To reach his highest potential, he had to surround himself with eagles, with people who pushed him forward, people that made him better, people that helped him soar.

WHAT a stink pile of utter rubbish mr olstein .

For starters  ,   no man or woman on earth could help PUSH JESUS FORWARD .   As though the ones WHO were in DIRE NEED of CHRIST could push him forward .

This would be a laughable joke at best , IF it were not  so blasphemous .    This power of positive thought is as the article said , NEW AGE .

IF JESUS had to surround himself with folks that could push him forward .    HE WOULD have been in ISOLATOIN HIS WHOLE LIFE .

as though man can help Christ .     Olstein and many like him are in serious grave danger and know it not .

But how bout this for a POSITIVE THOUGHT .     FOCUS and cast ALL AFFECTIONS ABOVE ON CHRIST and not here on the earth . 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Granted, I haven't read Girl, Wash You Face, but just in the article, I think Tim is mixing apples and oranges.

She said, "I surround myself with positivity."  And she avoids people that generate negative feelings and attitudes.

What I didn't see her saying and that Tim says she is saying is not to associate yourself with lower class people.  He said that this is what she said.  I don't see it in his quotes of hers.

The rich and famous and "upper class" can drag you down if they constantly backbite, gossip, and push others down to lift themselves up.  That's not healthy to hang around with folks like that.

In fact, the Bible says so.  Read Psalm 1.

Maybe I need to read the book myself, but in his quotes of her, I see her saying to avoid people entrenched in negative lifestyles that could affect you and  your mindset and lifestyle.

I don't see where she said to avoid the downtrodden, poor, and people who others look down on.

• Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.92
  • Days Won:  64

I liked the  part in the article about not rejecting people.  We need to be a light to all people.  Some are prone to depression and need to guard themselves and pray not to be influenced in a negative way.  Also negative people, can at times complain a great deal so one has to be careful there also not to be drawn in and start complaining too.  

Praising and thankfulness to God helps negative  people.  Some christians who are negative need prayer and lifting up and encouragement.  

Just a few thoughts.. you probably already know all this :)

10 hours ago, Frances said:

I liked the  part in the article about not rejecting people.  We need to be a light to all people.  Some are prone to depression and need to guard themselves and pray not to be influenced in a negative way.  Also negative people, can at times complain a great deal so one has to be careful there also not to be drawn in and start complaining too.  

Praising and thankfulness to God helps negative  people.  Some christians who are negative need prayer and lifting up and encouragement.  

Just a few thoughts.. you probably already know all this :)

That was the bigger take away for me too. Jesus didn't reject all the "sinners" that surrounded Him during His earthly ministry and we should not either as His followers. Tough calling sometimes, because the negativity can really grind on you after awhile but we have Christ to help us. We were dead in sin before salvation and God didn't reject us.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

On 10/9/2018 at 12:02 AM, walla299 said:

Found this article this morning and thought I'd share. You'll need to use the link as I could not get text to paste without wrecking the formatting.  :)

https://www.challies.com/articles/the-cost-of-surrounding-yourself-with-negative-people/

We are Christians. We are the light of the world. Its our job to be positive. We are by nature surrounded by negative people.

Edited by Archangel Thyos

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

On 10/9/2018 at 11:04 AM, Jayne said:

Granted, I haven't read Girl, Wash You Face, but just in the article, I think Tim is mixing apples and oranges.

She said, "I surround myself with positivity."  And she avoids people that generate negative feelings and attitudes.

What I didn't see her saying and that Tim says she is saying is not to associate yourself with lower class people.  He said that this is what she said.  I don't see it in his quotes of hers.

The rich and famous and "upper class" can drag you down if they constantly backbite, gossip, and push others down to lift themselves up.  That's not healthy to hang around with folks like that.

In fact, the Bible says so.  Read Psalm 1.

Maybe I need to read the book myself, but in his quotes of her, I see her saying to avoid people entrenched in negative lifestyles that could affect you and  your mindset and lifestyle.

I don't see where she said to avoid the downtrodden, poor, and people who others look down on.

God loves the poor. He talks to them. And he walks with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

My mother complains constantly. She’s 80 now, but it’s just her habit for my whole life. She’s not mean, just a crier I guess. I wonder if people have personalities?! Some are happy, some sad, some outgoing, some shy, on and on it goes. I’m naturally melancholy, but you’d never guess it if you met me. 

Edited by Kristin

On 10/11/2018 at 7:35 AM, Archangel Thyos said:

We are Christians. We are the light of the world. Its our job to be positive. We are by nature surrounded by negative people.

Yeah, that was one of the points in the article, and we're not to reject those who Christ accepts. Being dead in sin is before salvation is pretty negative.