• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Berean said:

So, you would expect the writer of Gen. 1:2 to expect his readers to interpret it according to Jer. 4:23 which had yet to be written and would not be written for quite some time?  Shouldn’t the passage containing the so-called "HEBRAIC THOUGHT" (whatever that is) in Jer. 4:23 be understood by the "HEBRAIC THOUGHT" given in Gen. 1:2 and not the other way around since Gen. 1:2 was written at a much earlier date than Jer. 4:23? For centuries the Jews understood that Gen. 1 referred to the creation of the universe and continue to do so and yet for some reason you persist in believing otherwise. Interesting that.

You misunderstand. If I understood you correctly you implied or insisted that Jer. 4:23 referred to judgment. My contention is how could God place anything under judgment when He called it good? I rather doubt He would have done so. I don't know where or how you could have understood any of what I wrote referred to the angelic rebellion since I never made such an assertion.

Why would I ask that? Evidently after Adam sinned and the curse was pronounced he and everything else ceased to be "good".

You misunderstand. Why would God create anything which would be and is good and pronounce judgment on it during the process or shortly thereafter?

I doubt you fully understand the import of that verse but then that's not surprising.

So, you are using proper hermeneutics because you say you are using proper hermeneutics. I’m convinced! Anyway, such is not the case here when the passage in question is clearly taken out of context as is evidently the case here. Proper hermeneutics is only of use when applied properly. Many a false teacher has, and no doubt would have claimed to be using proper hermeneutics. Merely stating that you are doing so proves nothing.

Not if they’re lifted out of context as is the case here.

I’m sure you knew that’s not quite what I meant.

I’m finding this whole discussion tedious. It’s become quite clear that you intend to persist in your error no matter what. So be it. You injure no one but yourself. I shall leave you to your confusion. I just hope that no one has subscribed to your error. Blind leading the blind and all that. Goodbye.

"So, you would expect the writer of Gen. 1:2 to expect his readers to interpret it according to Jer. 4:23 which had yet to be written and would not be written for quite some time? "

Which "readers" are you referencing?

We "readers" have the ability to properly inform our conception of Hebraic thought with a LONG history and trail of evidence subsequent to the time of the writing of Genesis.

The original "readers" did not have that privilege....

So, we interpret in the context of the body of information available to us....those with greater information can properly USE that information.

It's ok!  Paul applies Torah to 1st-century applications (e.g., 1Cor.9:9-11)....even though Moses may NOT have had all those applications in mind when he wrote Torah to His readers centuries earlier.

Again, it's OK to understand that future revelation can properly inform our interpretation of past revelation (Da.12:9).

"Shouldn’t the passage containing the so-called "HEBRAIC THOUGHT" (whatever that is) in Jer. 4:23 be understood by the "HEBRAIC THOUGHT" given in Gen. 1:2 and not the other way around since Gen. 1:2 was written at a much earlier date than Jer. 4:23?"

Rather, BOTH passages use the SAME TERMS....so BOTH PASSAGES give us interpretive options for those terms.

And, if "formless and void" can mean what it means in Jer.4:23....then "formless and void" can mean the same thing in Ge.1:2....unless we have compelling contextual reasons in Ge. 1:2 to suppose otherwise....but I don't see any such compelling reasons.

We need not assume that the style of usage of "formless and void" in Jer.4:23 is DIFFERENT than it has been at any time in the past....

Rather, we may view usage of "formless and void" in Jer.4:23 as evidence that "formless and void" may well have ALWAYS been properly used in that same style.....

After all, it's the same general language, culture, context, and Spirit inspiring the words....

So, the answer to your question is "NO".  The direction of Hebraic-thought-informing-considerations goes BOTH WAYS.  Use can use OLDER texts to inform later texts, AND vice versa.

"For centuries the Jews understood that Gen. 1 referred to the creation of the universe and continue to do so and yet for some reason you persist in believing otherwise. Interesting that."

Don't be so confident in your interpretation of Gen.1!  There are probably THOUSANDS of interpretations...and a PLETHORA of views regarding what "the Jews understood" about Gen.1.

Walton's theory is just another option for us to ponder....and Walton claims that his interpretation is what the ancient (even PRE-Jewish) audience may have understood....

After all, Gen. 1 was NOT written to the "Jews" as the original audience....Genesis LONG pre-dates Judah.

And, we have no good reason to suppose that all historical "Jewish" theological viewpoints are correct.

And, I never said Ge.1:1 can not be taken as reference to the creation of the universe.

I DID, in effect, say that Ge.1:2 implies that MUCH may have occurred between Ge.1:1 and Ge.1:2.

"My contention is how could God place anything under judgment when He called it good?"

Genesis 1 does NOT call the rebellion GOOD!

So, your contention misunderstands my position and the facts of Genesis 1.

A rebellion is NOT something God created in Ge.1:1!

A rebellion is evidently something God JUDGED in Ge.1:2.

Moreover, the rebellion judged in Ge.1:2 (for all we know) may have had its origins in something "prior" to physical creation of the universe....i.e., it could be just the latest stage in an ongoing cosmic battle between God and evil supernatural beings which pre-date physical creation of the universe.

So again, the GOODNESS of the creation in Ge.1:1 is NOT inconsistent with the EVIL of rebellious beings whose rebellion may have pre-dated that very creation, or whose rebellion may have occurred AFTER Ge.1:1 so as to be inferred in Ge.1:2.

God is VERY BIG.....Let's not pretend this is the only universe He ever created....that would be an unjustified assumption on our part....

Just look at Ezekiel's vision...or John's.....there's LOTS of mysterious things going on....and that's probably just barely scratching the surface....

"I rather doubt He would have done so."

Sure, God would probably not call a rebellion GOOD....but that's not my position....so I'm ok.

"Evidently after Adam sinned and the curse was pronounced he and everything else ceased to be "good"."

That's in reference to MAN....but there are many beings who are NOT human.....the GOOD and BAD which pertains to them may well be in different timing than in the case of man....

Why assume all non-human rebellion occurred at EXACTLY the same time Adam and Eve sinned?  I see no good reason to suppose that....and LOTS of reasons to disagree....

"Why would God create anything which would be and is good and pronounce judgment on it during the process or shortly thereafter?"

I never said God created the rebellion inferred in Ge.1:2.

I never said that God said the rebellion inferred in Ge. 1:2 is good.

God can create a GOOD physical creation.

AND!

Non-human entities can potentially do BAD things: (1) PRIOR to that creation, (2) DURING that creation, and (3) SUBSEQUENT to that creation.

The CREATION is good....the REBELLION is bad.

"I doubt you fully understand the import of that verse but then that's not surprising."

Rather, Ge.2:18 proves that NOT everything created by God was ALL-GOOD from the beginning...thus disconfirming your apparent claim to the contrary.

I'm surprised you haven't acknowledged my apparent disconfirmation of your position.

"So, you are using proper hermeneutics because you say you are using proper hermeneutics. I’m convinced!"

Rather, it should be evident and agreeable to YOU that Paul's usage of a term in ROMANS can inform his use of a term in CORINTHIANS.

WHY?  Because it's the SAME language, context, and Spirit inspiring a consistent message.

Or do you DEMAND that EVERY VERSE be interpreted as it's own island?

THAT would be silly!

But you can be silly if you like.....modern biblical scholarship (particularly the "liberal" scholarship) sometimes manifests elements of this very silliness...thus modern scholarship is, in many ways, considerably askew.

You can choose any hermeneutics you like!

Choose wisely....because if you're not honestly seeking....well....then that's your fault.

"Anyway, such is not the case here when the passage in question is clearly taken out of context as is evidently the case here."

NOT out of context.

Rather, context is INFORMED by meanings of words in a LANGUAGE.

And, meanings of words in a language are determined by usage THROUGHOUT the extent of that language's usage....

That's just how we do it!

You can't just interpret every little passage as it's own island.....

In that case, virtually EVERY usage of JESUS in the Gospels could refer to a DIFFERENT PERSON!  Because hey....you can't use Scripture to inform Scripture, right?  That would be "out of context"!!!

See the problem?

"Many a false teacher has, and no doubt would have claimed to be using proper hermeneutics. "

And your failure to properly use a language's widespread usage as evidence of linguistic meanings IS a concern regarding the improper hermeneutics you evidently uphold.

"Merely stating that you are doing so proves nothing."

It's not mere assertion!

You can't just interpret every little passage as it's own island.....

In that case, virtually EVERY usage of JESUS in the Gospels could refer to a DIFFERENT PERSON!  Because hey....you can't use Scripture to inform Scripture, right?  That would be "out of context"!!!

See the problem?

That's why my hermeneutics is better than your "every passage is an island" hermeneutics.

That's why your "out of context" objection is unfounded.

" It’s become quite clear that you intend to persist in your error no matter what. "

Then you don't even know me.

Justify your position as better than mine...I'll happily conceded!

I've nothing to lose...but my ignornace, if you can better inform me.

But I MUST follow the evidence where it leads...

And right now, your hermeneutics appears unjustified....so I can't go there.

" You injure no one but yourself. I shall leave you to your confusion. I just hope that no one has subscribed to your error. Blind leading the blind and all that. Goodbye."

Ok then...when you're ready to defend your position against the reasonable objections I've set before you....let me know!

blessings...

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Content Per Day:  3.70

Isaiah 45:17 But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; HE HATH ESTABLISHED IT, HE CREATED IT NOT IN VAIN, HE FORMED IT TO BE INHABITED: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

Isaiah 45:19 I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I the LORD speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.

Job 38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

Job 38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Job 38:8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?

Job 38:9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,

Job 38:10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,

Job 38:11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?

Job 38:12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;

Job 38:13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

Job 38:14 It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.

Job 38:15 And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    And

Revelation 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

Revelation 12:2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.

Revelation 12:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

Revelation 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth

Jeremiah 4:19 My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war.

Jeremiah 4:20 Destruction upon destruction is cried; for the whole land is spoiled: suddenly are my tents spoiled, and my curtains in a moment.

Jeremiah 4:21 How long shall I see the standard, and hear the sound of the trumpet?

Jeremiah 4:22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

Jeremiah 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. (Noah still had sun and stars)

Jeremiah 4:24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly.

Jeremiah 4:25 I beheld, and, lo, THERE WAS NO MAN, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. (There of course was not only Noah during that flood, but also others)

Jeremiah 4:26 I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger.

Jeremiah 4:27 For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.

Big changes come at the end of "an age"

2 Peter 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

2 Peter 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, PERISHED:

2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Where did hE come from?
Genesis 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

So we are sure who we are speaking of
Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Themelios
Never used of the world (kosmos) or the earth (ge)

Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Luke 6:49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Luke 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luke 14:29  Lest haply, after He hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,

Acts 16:26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.

Romans 15:19 Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

Romans 15:21 But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand.

1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 3:12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Ephesians 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

Ephesians 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

1 Timothy 6:18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

1 Timothy 6:19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

2 Timothy 2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Hebrews 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Hebrews 11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Revelation 21:14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Revelation 21:19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;

Corrresponding Verb
Themelioo

KATABOLE

Matthew 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Luke 11:50 That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;

John 17:24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Hebrews 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

Hebrews 11:12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.

Hebrews 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

1 Peter 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

VERB KATABALLO

2 Corinthians 4:9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

A comparison of all these passages (especially 2 Corinthians 4:9, and Revelation 12:10) will show that kataballo and katabole are not the proper terms for founding and foundation, but the correct meaning is casting down, or overthrow.

Consistency, therefore, calls for the same translation in Hebrews 6:1, where, instead of "not laying again", the rendering should be "not casting down". That is to say, the foundation already laid, of repentance, etc., was not to be cast down or overthrown, but was to be left—and progress made unto the perfection.

Accordingly, the Noun katabole, derived from, and cognate with the Verb, ought to be translated "disruption", or "ruin".

Copied from the rain.com, I think, the above from my bible

The remarkable thing is that in all occurrences (except Hebrews 11:11) the word is connected with "the world" (Greek kosmos.), and therefore the expression should be rendered "the disruption (or ruin) of the world", clearly referring to the condition indicated in Genesis 1:2, and described in 2Peter 3:5, 6. For the earth was not created tohu (Isaiah 45:18), but became so, as stated in the Hebrew of Genesis 1:2 and confirmed by 2 Peter 3:6, where "the world that then was by the word of God" (Genesis 1:1), perished, and "the heavens and the earth which are now, by the same word" were created (Genesis 2:4), and are "kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment" (2Peter 3:7) which shall usher in the "new heavens and the new earth" of 2 Peter 3:13.

"The disruption of the world" is an event forming a great dividing line in the dispensations of the ages. In Genesis 1:1 we have the founding of the world (Hebrews 1:10 = themelioo), but in Genesis 1:2 we have its overthrow.

This is confirmed by a further remarkable fact, that the phrase, which occurs ten times, is associated with the Preposition apo = from seven times, and with pro = before three times. The former refers to the kingdom, and is connected with the "counsels" of God; the latter refers to the Mystery (or Secret. ) and is connected with the "purpose" of God (see John 17:24. Eph. 1:4. 1 Peter 1:20).

Ample New Testament testimony is thus given to the profoundly significant fact recorded in Genesis 1:2, that "the earth became tohu and bohu (that is to say, waste and desolate); and darkness was on the face of the deep", before the creation of "the heavens and the earth which are now" (2 Peter 3:7).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Adam's sons married their own sisters as Abraham did. It's not considered a sin at the time when this is necessary to extend humanity (to extend the Jews in the case of Abraham and even Lot). God will have to give His bless such that even we can tell from today's Jews that they are clever if not cleverer.

However it's a sin out of pure personal desire when humans don't have to rely on a marriage between close relatives for humanity to survive. In this case God's bless will be removed, and the marriages may give deformed children.

At the time of Moses it became a law.

Leviticus 18:9 (NIV2011)
Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

Edited by Hawkins
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

On 10/9/2018 at 10:29 AM, Berean said:

Just a thought, how could they have cousins or close relatives if they were the only ones?

I doubt the Bible wrote down every person that was born to anyone.   If you compare genealogies there are gaps.

https://biblearchaeology.org/images/Genesis-5-and-11/Sexton_JETS_61.1_Evangelicalisms_Search_for_Chronological_Gaps.pdf

https://archive.org/stream/ArticleByRev.ProfessorWilliamHenryGreen/Green-PrimevalChron-BibSac_djvu.txt

"Biblical chronologists had been interpreting the genealogies in Genesis as intact chronologies since before Christ (e.g., see the histories of Demetrius and Eupolemus). This ultra-majority understanding of these biblical texts held sway for millennia. In 1890, William Henry Green of Princeton Seminary published his influential essay Primeval Chronology, in which he concluded that “the Scriptures furnish no data for a chronological computation prior to the life of Abraham” (193). With vital support from B.B. Warfield, Green’s theory eventually supplanted the long-held chronological view in conservative scholarship. Today, Green’s article is often lauded by evangelicals as the definitive and final word on why Genesis 5 and 11 should never have been used to construct a chronology from Adam to Abraham...  "

https://biblearchaeology.org/research/biblical-chronologies/4351-primeval-chronology-restored-revisiting-the-genealogies-of-genesis-5-and-11

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,899
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/10/2018 at 3:27 AM, Tristen said:

Genesis 5:4

After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters.

In eight hundred years a couple can have hundreds thousand offsprings.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80

On 10/9/2018 at 1:34 PM, Berean said:

Where did the sons of Adam find wives?

Shalom @Berean,

Forgive me if this question has already been answered by someone else.  But, if not, please allow me to offer an opinion.

The Book of Jubilees was one of the most found books amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls.  It serves as a commentary of Genesis from a different perspective - not contradicting it at any point but establishing important topics that Genesis covers briefly.

Now, in the Book of Jubilees it states that the daughter of Adam and Eve, Awan, married Cain, whilst their other daughter, Azura, married Seth.

I hope that helps.

Love & Shalom

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

On 10/9/2018 at 5:34 AM, Berean said:

Where did the sons of Adam find wives?

Consider. It is not deemed scripture, but it is plausible. Shalom. 

1st Book of Adam and Eve

Chapter 75:11 When the days of nursing the children were ended, Eve again conceived, and when her days were accomplished she brought forth another son and daughter; and they named the son Abel, and the daughter Aklia.
12 Then at the end of forty days, Adam made an offering for the son, and at the end of eighty days he made another offering for the daughter, and did by them, as he had done before by Cain and his sister Luluwa.
13 He brought them to the Cave of Treasures, where they received a blessing, and then returned to the cave where they were born. After the birth of these, Eve ceased from childbearing.

2nd Book of Adam and Eve 

Chapter 1:WHEN Luluwa heard Cain's words, she wept and went to her father and mother, and told them how that Cain had killed his brother Abel.
2 Then they all cried aloud and lifted up their voices, and slapped their faces, and threw dust upon their heads, and rent asunder their garments, and went out and came to the place where Abel was killed.
3 And they found him lying on the earth, killed, and beasts around him; while they wept and cried because of this just one. From his body, by reason of its purity, went forth a smell of sweet spices.
4 And Adam carried him, his tears streaming down his face; and went to the Cave of Treasures, where he laid him, and wound him up with sweet spices and myrrh.
5 And Adam and Eve continued by the burial of him in great grief a hundred and forty days. Abel was fifteen and a half years old, and Cain seventeen years and a half.
6 As for Cain, when the mourning for his brother was ended, he took his sister Luluwa and married her, without leave from his father and mother; for they could not keep him from her, by reason of their heavy heart.
7 He then went down to the bottom of the mountain, away from the garden, near to the place where he had killed his brother.
8 And in that place were many fruit trees and forest trees. His sister bare him children, who in their turn began to multiply by degrees until they filled that place.
9 But as for Adam and Eve, they came not together after Abel's funeral, for seven years. After this, however, Eve conceived; and while she was with child, Adam said to her "Come, let us take an offering and offer it up unto God, and ask Him to give us a fair child, in whom we may find comfort, and whom we may join in marriage to Abel's sister."
10 Then they prepared an offering and brought it up to the altar, and offered it before the Lord, and began to entreat Him to accept their offering, and to give them a good offspring.
11 And God heard Adam and accepted his offering. Then, they worshipped, Adam, Eve, and their daughter, and came down to the Cave of Treasures and placed a lamp in it, to burn by night and by day, before the body of Abel.
12 Then Adam and Eve continued fasting and praying until Eve's time came that she should be delivered, when she said to Adam: "I wish to go to the cave in the rock, to bring forth in it."
13 And he said, "Go and take with thee thy daughter to wait on thee; but I will remain in this Cave of Treasures before
p. 61
the body of my son Abel."
14 Then Eve hearkened to Adam, and went, she and her daughter. But Adam remained by himself in the Cave of Treasures.

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

read