• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/15/1960

In Acts 21:4 if Paul was told not to go to Jerusalem then why did he go anyway?

Acts 21:4, "And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem." Not to be argumentative but those that told Paul not to go were under influence of the Spirit so this should mean that they were not venturing their own opinion.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Berean said:

In Acts 21:4 if Paul was told not to go to Jerusalem then why did he go anyway?

I can't say whether Paul was right or wrong.  I can only answer your question and say one other word.

"Why did he go?"

• Paul had already resolved to go to Rome and already knew it would be bad.  Acts 20:22-24 = "And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
  • Paul was in a hurry to get there.  Acts 20:16 = "...Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus, so that he might not have to spend time in Asia, for he was hastening to be at Jerusalem, if possible, on the day of Pentecost"

Maybe the Holy Spirit was actually preparing Paul's heart, mind, and soul for what was to come by having those who loved him plead with him and having the man use the belt to outline what would happen.

And Paul surely did write a lot of the scriptures while he was imprisoned there.

God used Paul even though Paul would die there.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 hours ago, Berean said:

Acts 21:4, "And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem." Not to be argumentative but those that told Paul not to go were under influence of the Spirit so this should mean that they were not venturing their own opinion.

This is actually a very good apologetic to the truth of God's Word... if Hebrews was penned by Paul then over half the New Testament was inspired by God through Paul. Yet God does not garnish or hide the pure truth of His Word but says it as it is... After all Paul struggled with sin like all the rest of the children of God Rom 7; this too highlights the glory of Jesus The Son of Man Who for 33 years kept everything to the submission of Spirit and Father and then through the only way possible offered that perfect life to all of us by dying 100% to self as man.... He wears the right of King of Kings and Lord of Lords...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, Berean said:

The Spirit show the people in that congregation that this was the last time to have fellowship with Paul..

Paul had stayed with them for a few days and they like him and wanted him to come and visit him agained ...

And looked forwards to to that and prayed and asked the Lord to sent him to them again very soon...

So the Lord wanted them to know that this is the last time they are going to see him, and perhaps prepared Paul for what is going to happened to him in Jerusalem, in case Paul had build some expectation that many would believe and that the time had come for the nation to turned to Jesus Christ..

So the Holy Spirit show them the things to come...

They were not instructed to tell Paul not to go to Jerusalem, they did that out from their own good protecting heart, thinking that it was their duty and they did good to tell him that because they love him and so on...

But they did not know that the Lord had told and guide Paul to go to Jerusalem...

On the other hand, Paul had open comunication with the Holy Spirit who had taken Paul away from other missions and sent him to Jerusalem..

Paul he did not need anyone to tell him the will of God, he was guided by the Holy Spirit, as he mentions many times, that he goes where the Spirit sents him. 

Paul was told earlier that he will bring the Gospel to Rome and proclaimed it to the Emperor and the Palace...

So as a result of Paul going to Jerusalem we see how the Lord plan his trip to Rome and made the appointment to appeared before the Emperor...

With the protection of the Roman soldiers from the Jewish group who had take an oath never rest till they kill Paul..

So Paul safely made it to Rome and he was guarded by the Romans in a house arrest and he was safe from the Jewish assasins. 

This is also one of the mysteries, Jesus let him see what is going to happen in the future .

He let him know and meet the people who at first they prosecute the faith but on later like as it had happened with him they will be the torch bearers of the Gospel.

That it is the Roman Emperor and the Roman kingdom that they will make Jesus Christ the King and the Lord of their Nation.

That is not going to happened with the Jewish Nation but the Roman Gentiles are chosen for this Glory..

And when Paul met the Roman Emperor the Lord must have told him that one day the Roman Emperor will be converted to the faith and like Elias will distroy all the Idols and make the Roman Nation the Nation of Jesus Christ...

So the Lord sent Paul to Jerusalem to show him that this Nation is not the Nation Jesus had chosen for his Glory and then take him to Rome to Show him the Nation which will make Jesus Christ their Lord and be desired to be ruled by him...and distroy all the idols in their land...

As it was foretold, this nation will be desolate and briers and thorns will cover the land. 

And the land who was cover with briers and thorns will become the bless land of the Lord, .

Paul understood that the Gospel needs to be given to the individual jews and nit be preach in their synagogues...

Throw the perls to the swine....they will trouble over them and seek to kill the messager. .as always...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Some people think that Christians should be free from all trouble (and the logical conclusion to draw is that if God warns us of difficulties ahead, we should assume that He wants us to avoid them). But Paul saw things differently; he saw Agabus' prophecy not as guidance but as a test of his commitment. Going to Jerusalem was very important to him because he was taking the money collected from his churches to help the poor in Judea - a vital demonstration of the unity of the Jewish and Gentile sections of the Church.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

They were not instructed to tell Paul not to go to Jerusalem...

Yes they did. It says so right there in the verse I quoted.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

Some people think that Christians should be free from all trouble (and the logical conclusion to draw is that if God warns us of difficulties ahead, we should assume that He wants us to avoid them). But Paul saw things differently; he saw Agabus' prophecy not as guidance but as a test of his commitment. Going to Jerusalem was very important to him because he was taking the money collected from his churches to help the poor in Judea - a vital demonstration of the unity of the Jewish and Gentile sections of the Church.

Very good insight.

• 3 years later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

This is a good question.  I am not sure if the "Holy Spirit" influence/came upon Paul of the others in his company.  Regardless, this seems a bit similar to the account at Matthew 16:21-23.  Also, consider Acts 21:14.