Lilfox

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I know that we are each on our own journey with God and that things can be interpreted differently depending on our life experiences. Last night as I was struggling to sleep and pray. Some thoughts came to mind and I wondered if others had a list of things they wished they had learned in Church or that could've been taught better?  This is one of those lists that I didn't know that I didn't know, if you know what I mean?  I have come to some understanding with this list but thought it would be insightful to see other's lists.

Here's mine:

- How to pray  -- Some say anywhere and anyway that you can, others have a ritual to it. Give thanks, ask forgiveness, and let our requests be known. I pray both ways, hopefully it's ok. I was stuck in the more ritualistic side of prayer and really needed to know it was okay to pray throughout the day or just talk to God in general. I have found he answers prayer either way.

- Why memorizing Bible verses is important.  We teach our children to memorize verses, but do we tell them why? It is also just as important for adults to memorize verses, this is our best defense against worry, depression, stress and attacks.

- How to get through suffering and the loss of a loved one (my church really let me down on this one, took me 8 years work through this and it is only by God that I was able to accept it)

- Why God sometimes doesn't answer prayer and that we should ask for understanding when he doesn't.

This is not meant to be a negative post about Church, more a post on how we can help each other learn things that may or may not be commonly talked about or is assumed knowledge at church. Up until 8 years ago, I went to church weekly  for most of my adult life and didn't know the above until just this past year. 

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Partial list, anyway... Also, not trying to be down on the Church. :)

-that trials are the norm in a Christian's life

-the importance of holy living

-not to put anyone on a pedestal, including those in ministry (since we all have feet of clay and are capable of falling/failing)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Lilfox said:

I know that we are each on our own journey with God and that things can be interpreted differently depending on our life experiences. Last night as I was struggling to sleep and pray. Some thoughts came to mind and I wondered if others had a list of things they wished they had learned in Church or that could've been taught better?  This is one of those lists that I didn't know that I didn't know, if you know what I mean?  I have come to some understanding with this list but thought it would be insightful to see other's lists.

Here's mine:

- How to pray  -- Some say anywhere and anyway that you can, others have a ritual to it. Give thanks, ask forgiveness, and let our requests be known. I pray both ways, hopefully it's ok. I was stuck in the more ritualistic side of prayer and really needed to know it was okay to pray throughout the day or just talk to God in general. I have found he answers prayer either way.

- Why memorizing Bible verses is important.  We teach our children to memorize verses, but do we tell them why? It is also just as important for adults to memorize verses, this is our best defense against worry, depression, stress and attacks.

- How to get through suffering and the loss of a loved one (my church really let me down on this one, took me 8 years work through this and it is only by God that I was able to accept it)

- Why God sometimes doesn't answer prayer and that we should ask for understanding when he doesn't.

This is not meant to be a negative post about Church, more a post on how we can help each other learn things that may or may not be commonly talked about or is assumed knowledge at church. Up until 8 years ago, I went to church weekly  for most of my adult life and didn't know the above until just this past year. 

Hullo Lilfox,

I'm hoping you will minister to the problems you list. If you can associate with and gather with like-minded people to address any issues that you discern then you will be functioning in the body of Christ as God intended. It maybe that God is speaking to you about something he wants you to pursue for His glory. It's easy to say, "It's not my problem", until God says "Well I'm making it your problem, so trust me to use you to be part of the solution." 

Edited by Michael37
s
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

2 hours ago, Lilfox said:

Here's mine:

The things you list are actually not that easy to 'teach' through sermons. How to pray is a very individual matter - everyone has their own approach and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way. Getting through suffering - again, everyone is different, and there are no 'rules'. These things can really only be learned through getting to know other Christians, hearing their stories and following their examples. Which all takes time. A church can help by making space for testimonies and encouraging small group meetings, where Christians can get to know one another more easily.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

Anybody that thinks they are good enough for Heaven are damned......that little nugget mystifies the world and much of the Church World......

I may not be perfect—— but I ain’t as bad as that guy locked up in the Penitentiary! I’m good enough to make it to Heaven—-Motto of the Fool’s Paradise.....home of the damned

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, Lilfox said:

...   more a post on how we can help each other learn things that may or may not be commonly talked about or is assumed knowledge at church. Up until 8 years ago, I went to church weekly  for most of my adult life and didn't know the above until just this past year. 

The biggest thing in my life was finally learning that God created us each as unique individuals meant to walk with Him in a way unique to each of us.  I spent over 30 years as a Christian defining myself by gifts, talents, ministry roles, Christian obligations, and in general viewing my value in life as how much fruit I was bearing, how holy I was or was not living, and of what use I was to God and other Christians.  I failed to see that God loves us each as the unique treasures and works of art that He has made to be to reflect His glory in some way unique to each of us and that He wants us to walk with Him as that unique person.  We are a new creation in Christ meant to be a unique person walking in freedom and liberty from our old lives to be able to walk with God in our new lives.

It's too long to discuss in detail, but I've observed that the majority of evangelical churches and most Christians unintentionally teach and practice a cookie cutter method of being a Christian that views our value and success as Christians as believing the right list of things, behaving the right way, and effectively being busy enough to produce results.  We start with defining ourselves as some biblical definition of what a Christian is supposed to be, conforming ourselves to that as much as possible, and then trying to figure out what God wants us to do.   Rather than seeing all of this is as the natural result of being a new creation in Christ, we see it as an obligation to be lived up to as best we can.   It's become about being busy doing the right stuff the right way rather than becoming the unique person God created us to be in Christ.  Most of us are taught to ask "God, what do you want me to do (or not do)?" rather than "God, who did you create me to be in Christ?" 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

That The Word of God was the most necessary food of LIFE... to know it and do it 'IS' the practice of life... to not is the practice of death.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

How to pray is a very individual matter - everyone has their own approach and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way.

KJV

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

LEB

You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, in order that you may spend it on your pleasures.

TLB

And even when you do ask you don’t get it because your whole aim is wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure.

MSG

You wouldn’t think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you’d be asking for what you have no right to. You’re spoiled children, each wanting your own way.

MOUNCE

You ask and do not receive because you ask for the wrong reason, that you can spend it on · your pleasures.

NASB

You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.

NIV

You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

NLV

Or if you do ask, you do not receive because your reasons for asking are wrong. You want these things only to please yourselves.

Hi, Well, perhaps there is a wrong way and a wrong motive. Seems like it is so to me anyway.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Lilfox said:

Here's mine:

Hi, No I do not have a list of things I didn't learn at church and wish I had been taught by others.

I have a list of apology to God for the things I have not taken time to learn  throroughly yet.

I have nothing but praise for the pastors, elders, teachers that have lived up to their appointed and anointed responsibility of church office, and that have done their very best to shepherd the local flock at the body of Christ that the Holy Spirit has led me to be part of and to participate in.

Many have shown me the way. I have not always availed myself of that reveal, to my shame not theirs.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

12 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, No I do not have a list of things I didn't learn at church and wish I had been taught by others.

I have a list of apology to God for the things I have not taken time to learn  throroughly yet.

I have nothing but praise for the pastors, elders, teachers, that have lived up to their appointed and anointed responsibility of church office, and have done their very best to shepherd the local flock at the body of Christ that the Holy Spirit has led me to be part of and to participate in.

Many have shown me the way. I have not always availed myself of that reveal, to my shame not theirs.

Know ye not that ye are the Temple and the Spirit of God is in you. Since there is so much diversity among believers and pastors we must lean on the Holy spirit to guide and direct us. Seminaries teach according the denom's they want to be of. The Holy Spirit teaches the things of God   

• Thumbs Up 1