• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

12 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

how about this then 

https://home.cern/topics/large-hadron-collider

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world’s largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It first started up on 10 September 2008, and remains the latest addition to CERN’s accelerator complex. The LHC consists of a 27-kilometre ring of superconducting magnets with a number of accelerating structures to boost the energy of the particles along the way.

Inside the accelerator, two high-energy particle beams travel at close to the speed of light before they are made to collide. The beams travel in opposite directions in separate beam pipes – two tubes kept at ultrahigh vacuum. They are guided around the accelerator ring by a strong magnetic field maintained by superconducting electromagnets. The electromagnets are built from coils of special electric cable that operates in a superconducting state, efficiently conducting electricity without resistance or loss of energy. This requires chilling the magnets to ‑271.3°C – a temperature colder than outer space. 

this imo has far graver consequences for mankind - the genie is out of the bottle

The first time they detonated the atomic bomb there was genuine fear that it would ignite the entire atmosphere of the earth. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

The first time they detonated the atomic bomb there was genuine fear that it would ignite the entire atmosphere of the earth. 

yes and both have lasting effect and ongoing devastation i reckon and all based on particle physics

• Followers:  4

3 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

yes and both have lasting effect and ongoing devastation i reckon and all based on particle physics

Nuclear bombs are nowhere near as dangerous as people think they are.* Their long term affects have become almost mythical. Still, I wouldn't want a Tzar bomb dropping anywhere near me, but I believe it was just a test of the theoretical limits.

I think the day is coming where tactical nukes will find a place in warfare. They shoot some of those from a canon. 

*Yeah. that sounds crazy, but if you look at the actual blast radius of the bombs in existence today they are really just really big bombs and not all that many of them produce much long term radiation. It's actually a fascinating subject when you really get into it. And they are actually a good thing in at least one way: They've made major "world war" unthinkable, effectively bringing in the longest period of peace, at least to first world nation real estate. 

Well, except for Chicago.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

23 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

I think it would be neat if the media would show/report much more of the heroic and selfless efforts of the common people, the friends and neighbors, and so many strangers, who put their life on hold to help out, during the storms and after, to show the other side of humanity. I personally am very inspired when I see a TV report of some ole redneck looking dude with his jacked up four wheel drive pickup hauling load after load of hospital bound patients through deep flowing waters to high ground. Very scary.  Neighbors, strangers, rolling up their sleeves, and pitching in.     Cool...... 

:) I agree. I've seen this type of coverage once in a great while on TV. Always interesting, inspirational and heartwarming. :thumbsup:

Thank God there are still some who live by the old-fashioned, biblical concept of loving our neighbors as ourselves. 

Thinking back to when God approached Cain about his brother's murder and he sarcastically snapped back at God (my paraphrase) "How should I know? Am I supposed to be my brother's keeper?" Of course, the answer to this is YES. The same is true of humans today. Sadly, the answer is too often the same as Cain's...Not my problem, Not my responsibility.

May we, the church come forward and practice Matthew 5:16:

" In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Still Alive said:

Nuclear bombs are nowhere near as dangerous as people think they are.* Their long term affects have become almost mythical. Still, I wouldn't want a Tzar bomb dropping anywhere near me, but I believe it was just a test of the theoretical limits.

I think the day is coming where tactical nukes will find a place in warfare. They shoot some of those from a canon. 

*Yeah. that sounds crazy, but if you look at the actual blast radius of the bombs in existence today they are really just really big bombs and not all that many of them produce much long term radiation. It's actually a fascinating subject when you really get into it. And they are actually a good thing in at least one way: They've made major "world war" unthinkable, effectively bringing in the longest period of peace, at least to first world nation real estate. 

Well, except for Chicago.

fascinating reg nukes eeeeek, but what about the Chernobyl incident people are still experiencing repercussions... ah  yeah but what about the particle accelerator then that is a constant and in the guise of science (what hog wash)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, Still Alive said:

Nuclear bombs are nowhere near as dangerous as people think they are.

Tell that to the people of kazakhstan.

• Followers:  4

50 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

fascinating reg nukes eeeeek, but what about the Chernobyl incident people are still experiencing repercussions... ah  yeah but what about the particle accelerator then that is a constant and in the guise of science (what hog wash)

Here is a nice link: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/03/why-a-nuclear-reactor-will-never-become-a-bomb/

And this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions

Hydrogen bombs (fusion bombs) really don't have the fallout risk people tend to think they do. Sure, it's not a good thing. but I think of it this way. Nobody wants to get shot, but a single bullet wound will not be all that big of a deal unless it hits something important.

The bad stuff is Gamma radiation because it lasts so long. 

I almost forgot this: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Pick a place on google maps. Pick a bomb and drop it. It will show you the effects by range. 

Edited by Still Alive

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

From CBS online today:

A breakdown by state of the power outages. All numbers are approximate:

326,691 customers without power in Florida

37,966 customers without power in Alabama

133,333 customers without power in Georgia

92,000 customers without power in South Carolina

731,596 customers without power in North Carolina

271,487 customers without power in Virginia

That is a lot of people handicapped and in need of some help. One fireman was killed at Virginia  while responding to a traffic accident that was due to the storm.  The area of concern is vast. Helpers are  at heavy risk to injury. Please pray for the helpers that will be on scene for a long long time to come. Pray for the families they have left in order to help, and please consider praying about providing physical help and financial support if possible along with prayer.

I noticed via  Samaritan's Purse that there is still need of volunteers to help  clean up from Hurricane Florence- help needed for cleaning out  homes, property, businesses, of mud and debris.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

From CBS online today:

A breakdown by state of the power outages. All numbers are approximate:

326,691 customers without power in Florida

37,966 customers without power in Alabama

133,333 customers without power in Georgia

92,000 customers without power in South Carolina

731,596 customers without power in North Carolina

271,487 customers without power in Virginia

My state will likely send crews to help restore power. In the summer monsoon here, we have major power outages with every storm. The utilities here have crews that can fix and restore power within a few hours. They just got back from helping out with florence. I am sure they will head out to help with michael too. 

• Praise God! 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

My state will likely send crews to help restore power. In the summer monsoon here, we have major power outages with every storm. The utilities here have crews that can fix and restore power within a few hours. They just got back from helping out with florence. I am sure they will head out to help with michael too. 

Hi, Praying for their travel safety, that no injuries occur and that their own family's remain safe back at the homes they leave behind in order to help others.

• Thumbs Up 1