Neighbor

Storm Michael

8 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

I thought of Kazakhstan because they were forced to witness multiple nuke tests as part of the ussr. They suffer severe consequences today (50 plua years later) that hiroshima and nagasaki do not face today. They have entire villages that have to be routinely tested for leukemia. They have children who face an almost 100% chance of getting cancer. They cannot export beef because of the cesium content in the bones of the cattle. They have sections of their country that are off limits because of the radioactivity in the area. My husband and I almost adopted 2 kids from there and that is how I learned of the devastation of the region. They had over 400 nuclear bombs detonated in that country.

As bad as hiroshima and nagasaki was, to me what happened in kazakhstan was far worse. Which is why it came to mind when I initially posted. It was not meant as a slur on the japanese who suffered.

As I also understood you, ayin. I had to look up about Kazakhstan as I was ignorant of their predicament. Sounds really tragic.
I just had to reply to the statement;
  "Nuclear bombs are nowhere near as dangerous as people think they are", thus the comment about the Japan bombing, as I'm sure the Japanese would disagree. I believe the poster may have meant the modern nukes have less fall out and are 'cleaner' with less collateral damage, as compared to WWII.  Hope we never have to find out.

Called my cousin in The Panhandle yesterday.  He said they only had alot of rain.  No damage.   He is about a 40 minute drive from the devastation.   Thank God they are ok.   He said authorities are still searching for bodies.

On a lighter note did anyone see where the ceiling was collapsing in one home....and as the family was leaving, four tiny baby kittens fell down from the ceiling!   They were on the news a few times.   The family had no idea the kittens were  in the attic.  They are at an animal shelter and up for adoption.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:09 PM, Badjao33 said:

It's looking like the western half of NC will be hit harder by Michael than what was seen with Florence. It appears there will be a lot of flooding and wind damage this afternoon in those areas. Since the northwest Piedmont is where I am originally from and most of my family is currently living I am watching this closely. 

Unfortunately my prediction came to pass in the part of NC that I am from. Not only did things turn out worse than what was seen with Florence, it was historic. The flooding in my hometown was the worst since 1972 when hurricane Agnes took a similar track through the state.

I have been following things on social media following what friends have been posting over the past couple of days and I also contacted some family members and they had similar stories to share. Fortunately everyone seems to be OK. There are a lot of trees down and several roads were washed out in the county. Thousands are still without power and according to Duke Energy's outage map on their website, it looks like they are giving a target date of Oct 16th at 11:45 PM to get everyone back online. Between 5 and 7 inches of rain fell between noon and 4 pm across most of the county. 

Just across the NC/VA border and just downstream from my hometown in the city of Danville, the situation was even worse. A gauge at the public works reported 6.75 of rain in less than 2 hours which lead to severe flash flooding and many water rescues. The Sandy River crested at its all time level and the Dan River went from 8 feet to 23.5 in less than 3 hours and reached a crest a couple of hours later at an all time record of 30.01 feet beating the old record by well over a foot. Unfortunately there were three deaths because of the flooding there. 

Below is a screenshot of the river gauge at Danville, VA. Usually when flooding occurs in this area it's because of rain falling at the higher elevations to the west and flowing downstream. The rise in the river is normally gradual and takes up to 24 or more hours to reach it's crest so people have plenty of warning and time to prepare in advance. It's pretty incredible to see the river rise as fast it did with this most recent event. 

1367487965_stormdamage2.jpg.b8afd9b3b914a537c31c0603bc7435ae.jpg

One of the most interesting pictures I cam across is from the church where my sister and her family are members. The three crosses were spared when the large Oak that once stood behind it fell in the opposite direction. 

369774904_stormedamage.jpg.bd1861855815796d3b3871fa92c74339.jpg

• Brilliant! 1