Alcoholics Anonymous?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

What are members of Worthy’s thoughts on AA?  I have some, but I’d like to hear your thoughts. Oh! Unless drinking is only a problem for the lost and unsaved?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

I have no strong thoughts on AA either way..

Drinking is a problem to anyone who has a weakness for drinking to excess.. 

Adstar I appreciate your response. I think Jesus makes all things new. But I understand people needing people also. My issue with it is having folks repeat every time: hi! I’m an alcoholic. I believe Jesus redeems us from alcoholism. Oh! And also homosexuality. We should no longer call ourselves those things. 

Edited by Kristin
Typos

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Kristen.

Great Question.

1 in 10 people are born with Alcoholism

If there's 200 people living in your street, 20 are Alcoholic.

They may all not be excessive drinkers, one might be a high court judge, another a garbage collecter, another a school teacher

and there might be a few unemployed that drink around the clock., Alcoholism doesn't discriminate, with Job title.

Those that find AA only,  1 in 5 remain abstinent from Alcohol (Ethenol) that stuff you put in your car.

Those that remain sober,  go on to live a productive and happier life.

They have learn't to forgive other's  and continue to do there own Personal Inventory ,

they commence  service work, or reach out to the still suffering Alcoholic. (I am sure Jesus Loves this)

Bill W was the Founder of AA in 1935, shortly before that,  he had a Epiphany in hospital after being three days sober.

Not many had hope for him before that, but that moment in Hospital changed his Life forever.

He was a stock brocker on Wall Street intelligent Man, and a Atheist, untill that night when God made himself Present.

AA has restored thousand's of lifes since. I have seen People that were written off  from society,

only to go on and live there Dreams, become Editors of large Magazine Company's etc etc,

Familys reunited, children with there spirit back,  thanks to AA.

AA is Great, because you are mixing with people with a common thread, people that have walked in your shoes.

They know what your going through, it's like you don't go talk to a Doctor, when your Car breaks down,

you go talk to a Mechanic. It's like trying to describe the taste of a Guava, to someone that's never tasted that fruit.

Alcoholics are born very sensitive people, they will often give the shirt off there back, they are beautiful hearted people

thats why we drank, we didn't want to feel the pain  of  the World.   Alcoholism  Preys on people

with wonderful Gifts  from God.  So AA is all about putting God into your Life,  every step of step 12,  is walked in unison with God.

There's a saying.   You can go through the suffering of change, or go through suffering the way you are.

AA works, i am a Living example, just about to get 10 years sober early next year, and Gratefull to God, and those in

AA that reached out to me. The only Friends today i have in my Life, are Christian Friends and  my Loyal AA mates,

they have proved there Friendship from the unconditional love they shone upon me. I wish my old Drinking mates,

had found AA,  but there Deceased unfortunately.

I hope this Message has helped with your  Question.

Blessings Friend.

Edited by BrotherIan

Thank you BrotherIan. I see what you mean. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

9 hours ago, Kristin said:

What are members of Worthy’s thoughts on AA?  I have some, but I’d like to hear your thoughts. Oh! Unless drinking is only a problem for the lost and unsaved?

One of the foundations of AA is that addiction cannot be controlled by human effort alone, but that one must yield to "upstairs". 

The best is a Christian/Bible centered recovery program, IMHO.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

10 hours ago, Kristin said:

The extremely short version of my shameful testimony with drinking and AA is as follows.

Started drinking beer shortly after I was in the military in 1970. Grew worse and worse over the years and decades naturally causing great personal problems in my life. Over those decades I believe I literally drank enough beer to fill an Olympic size swimming pool. I can't begin to tell you the number of hangovers I had, the marriage and employment problems, making a fool of myself, setting an example for my children, etc. There was no real joy or happiness in my life, just the next beer and getting drunk. Then not many years ago my only brother committed suicide. 

I won't go into detail, but I had felt the Holy Spirit working on me for some time. Every time I drove by this certain church (I drove by many), I'd hear a little whisper (or thought), Dennis, you need to attend a service there. I resisted.

Almost two years ago next month, it was a beautiful clear sunny day and I had nothing particular on my mind. All of a sudden something I can't explain (at the time) came over me. Side note: I'm a Vietnam combat veteran, spent many years in the military, and always projected myself as tough and hardened, I've never been a weak person.

On that day just about two years ago now, out of the blue, for no apparent reason and against everything I thought I was... I broke down like a little baby bawling uncontrollably, I was broken and needed fixed and dropped to my knees humbly seeking the Lord and His help. Among asking the Lord into my life I confessed my sins and repented and couldn't do anything by myself. 

I asked the Lord for three things, the first was I asked the Lord to take the taste of beer out of my mouth, I was an alcoholic. The second request I asked was He direct me to a Bible believing Gospel preaching church He would have me attend. The third, well I won't go into it because it was supernatural.

After my confession I immediately felt wonderful and new, instantly I had joy and happiness return to my pitiful life. Over the next few days I tried drinking a few beers but not get drunk. No doubt, this was the work of the Lord, beer had always tasted great to me, now it was bitter and bile and I couldn't stomach it anymore. I'd say I stopped completely cold turkey, but it wasn't me that did anything, it was the Lord that saved me. I completely and immediately lost my taste and desire for alcohol; I had no shakes, withdrawal's, cravings, nothing. Tell me, can AA do that?

Shortly thereafter, I stopped and attended this little country Baptist Church I felt the Holy Spirit prodding me toward for quite some time. What a wonderful church preaching the Gospel and friendly brothers and sisters in Christ. I've recently become a member of that church.

So, to answer the question of "thoughts on AA"? My response is; who needs a 12 step program with moderate success rates with secular thinking and treatment? When you can take it to the Lord and get a 100% healing and not look back. What AA 'might' be able to help some with over a long period of time and cooperation. The Lord can accomplish immediately with a 100% success rate!

The Lord has done so much for me, and by faith I will follow Him until He calls me home.

EDIT: I don't want the above to seem I'm disparaging AA, I'm stating my own personal experience. I know little about their program and wasn't aware if the Lord is part of their program or not.

Edited by Dennis1209
Edit Note

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thanks for sharing your Story.

Great to hear your Sober today.

Edited by BrotherIan