Guest 1sheep

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Ya just can’t beat good, ol’fashioned snapping turtle for this time of year .....make sure you use a pressure cooker!

12 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

I had a buffalo steak.  It was like a filet mignon but with out the bacon.   It was really good.   I was actually on a camping trip and cooked it over the fire.  

Cooking anything over an open fire is great! I used to camp quite often. Part of the fun of camping to me was cooking outdoors on a fire.

1 minute ago, PepperS said:

Right now I am cooking BBQ chicken, loaded baked potatoes and corn bread.

Sounds good. No veggies?

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, 1sheep said:

Cooking anything over an open fire is great! I used to camp quite often. Part of the fun of camping to me was cooking outdoors on a fire.

I camped in the Great Smoky Mountains and it was wonderful.   Nothing beats meat cooked over fire.  :)

Guest shiloh357
Just now, Davida said:

Shiloh357 said: 

Ohhh.....so that pic above-- then that is why they are called " the Great Smoky Mountains" ???? 

:24: LOL!

LOL   :24: 

I received my hot sandia green chilies in the mail today frozen on dry ice. I grew up in Nm and lived in Az for 20 yrs or so. I was ready for my hatch green chilie fix again since moving to NC 5 months ago.! I dont know how I survived without them! Lol

Im enjoying an appetizer I make ( as they do in mexico)with hatch green chile, lime juice and salt. SO GOOD. I have a pot of beans on the stove and will add in the chiles in a bit. Thank you Lord for Hatch green chili!!

Whats on your stove today?

1 minute ago, Cobalt1959 said:

I'm going to risk getting burned in effigy, but I didn't understand the"magic" of Hatch green chilies.   Our Walmart carried them for a while and I tried them and I didn't get the impression they were any better than the produce-section Anaheims and Poblanos I usually use.  I am assuming that the Hatch chilies are New Mexico 6's or 9's or some off-shoot of a Big Jim.  I know in New Mexico, many green chilies are unique hybrids to the area they are grown, but evidently my pallet isn't distinguishing enough to tell the difference when a straight green chili is used.

I was born in Phoenix and lived in Glendale until 1981 when I moved to Kingman.  I moved back here in 1991.  I am a green chili person.  I like stuff made with red, but I prefer green.  I make a green chili stew that is an amalgam of a recipe I already had in my 20's and a green chili stew the Hualapai indians made.  Basically just round steak seasoned and fried first and then onions, garlic, green chilies and the regular recipe calls for just water/beef bouillon but I use green chili enchilada sauce as the base.  Then you cook it in a crock pot until the steak is tender.   You can serve it over rice, use it to make a burrito or just eat it by itself.  Now you have me wanting to make a batch while I am on vacation this week.  For that recipe, I usually just use canned chilies.

Many people put the name hatch on their pkg but it isnt real hatch green chili. Walmart doesnt carry real hatch nor does costco although they brand it that way.

Your recipe sounds good!

12 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

The Sandia is a mix between a Numex 9 and an Anaheim.  The "hatch" variety is, evidently, an off shoot of a Big Jim.  I think they can get away with the "Hatch" branding if it's grown in the area.

My Green Chili recipe is a "head" recipe, but if you want me to try and put it in text form I'll give it a whirl . . . 

Well this year I got the sandia because they were hottest avail. Big Jim are med hot if memory serves me well. The reviews this month indicated that the chili this year isnt as hot. It was a splurge for certain buying the roasted and peeled. I missed buying fresh by a few days.

Im pretty sure you are right about area and branding. It fooled me to buy it but I knew right off it wasnt what I grew up with.

Id love to have your recipe! 

Thank you

Edited by 1sheep