• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 minutes ago, 1sheep said:

Anyways. This thread is about fall and fall cooking. Lets get back to it! Any takers?

YES .    lets call it ONE SHEEPS GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE .    

Just now, frienduff thaylorde said:

YES .    lets call it ONE SHEEPS GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE .    

I love green bean casserole! Lol

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  510
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,178
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, 1sheep said:

The best pizza I have ever had was when I lived in Glendale Az. It was deep dish piled high with fresh ingredients made by a sicilian family!!! I traveled 2 hrs round trip one time to get their pizza  when I moved far west to surprise. Ive never had anything that matched it. 

Haaa, that’s sounds like me when I bought my Goldwing I drove 210 mile, one way, to get a cup of cappuccino. It was a great cup. It came in a styrofoam cup! :)

Much love in Christ, Not me

edit; does cappuccino count as food?

(It does in my world I call it breakfast,  Lol) 

Edited by Not me

39 minutes ago, Not me said:

Haaa, that’s sounds like me when I bought my Goldwing I drove 210 mile, one way, to get a cup of cappuccino. It was a great cup. It came in a styrofoam cup! :)

Much love in Christ, Not me

edit; does cappuccino count as food?

(It does in my world I call it breakfast,  Lol) 

Yeah! It counts because it's yummy for our tummies. Lol

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Well I had a boiled hot dog with mustard and a yellow gator aid at Sunday afternoons Little League Baseball game concession stand. It was just over 95 degrees and a bit cloudy, a little hotter on the field, my grandson "cooked" in his catcher's gear.

Fall food, hmm. Depends on what Criketeeers Restaurant  might have on their  menu I suppose.

10 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Well I had a boiled hot dog with mustard and a yellow gator aid at Sunday afternoons Little League Baseball game concession stand. It was just over 95 degrees and a bit cloudy, a little hotter on the field, my grandson "cooked" in his catcher's gear.

Fall food, hmm. Depends on what Criketeeers Restaurant  might have on their  menu I suppose.

I eat a hot dog once in a blue moon. They are especially good at a ballgame! 

So you dont cook? 

So far no cooks bringing forth fall family traditions or just great things they love to serve their loved ones!  I still have hope .

I was hoping to hear about different ethnic morsels of goodness.:whistling:

Tough crowd. Lol

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I'm making chili tomorrow. Dose anyone eles like to eat  peanutbutter sandwich with their chili? Not sure how i got started on that. Been eating chili with peanutbutter for as long as i can remember. 

• Haha 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I've been thinking of making chili lately....this topic has my mouth watering.   We use ketchup with the ground beef, kidney beans, chopped celery and some chili flakes thrown in.  The ketchup gives it a nice flavor....old family recipe.

LadyKay, never heard of the peanut butter sandwiches with it.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Fall foliage foods eh? Well let me dig into  my heritage a bit, Oh yes It goes by the day and the holiday-

Sundays very early, on the  caste iron wood stove oven, in glass cups, were baked the finest popovers ever, by  my grandfather. I can come close and so could my wife, but lacking that cast iron oven they just never got as crispy on the bottoms nor so tall as his did.

Then there are parsnips cooked in brown sugar syrup and butter, in a caste iron fry pan. Simple fare kind of like dessert right in the main course. 

Cabbage in the double boiler plain cabbage with steamed white onion.

Lamb shoulder roast and green mint jelly.

Turkey with oyster stuffing ( Family had a turkey farm at one time.)

Suet pudding with rum sauce- (We were a bunch  of Englishmen. ) and or Brown bread pudding with dark chocolate sauce.  I'd sample both, generous samplings. All still from the English side of the family.

Best breakfast of all, Grandma's baked beans-Yellow eye beans cooked all night long while we were out trout fishing, and sometimes settling for fifty or so honed pout ( a small  New Hampshire pink meat catfish ). We would come in  off  Big Squam Lake, skin the fish start frying  in good old Cisco with corn meal batter, and have a breakfast of yellow eyed beans and catfish (or trout).

Corn bread, always corn bread, again in caste iron loaf pans or even as cupcakes. -we all had strong wrists from those heavy pots and pans.

Saturdays were baked beans (yellow eyed)  and boiled hot dogs.

My own favorite was eye of the round roast, with  Maine baked potato, and carrots - mostly so I could put the left over eye of the round roast through the hand operated meat grinder along with some onion mix in a little Miracle Whip and make the best sandwiches of all for Moday's lunches. Again strong wrists from cranking the grinder. Never liked cleaning that thing though.

Mince meat pie, no not that raison pie, mince meat (deer). And a choice of either squash pie,  or pumpkin pie, back when real pumpkin was used to make hoosier style pumpkin pie with lots of molasses in the mix.

But the week would start with those popovers at five am, with the firing up the wood stove with some kindling, and a shot of Crown Royal for. Grandpa "Bar" had me put in the kindling  and he would get down that magical looking blue velvet sack, measure one shot of Crown Royal swallow and proceed to make the popover mix just right in that cold linoleum floored back kitchen. It was a Sunday tradition for him and a treat  for me when I was there, having popovers, and then  I think I remember a Bible reading and off to church too, Methodist of that time, Congregational if we were visiting up at Plymouth N.H. 

I was pretty young. All I know for sure is how cold the kitchen was come fall  into winter and how hot were the popovers, - filled them up with butter and jam, usually a home made berry jam, often raspberry.

Bck then I was a skinny wiry kid, never had anything but bone, muscle, and sinew, to me. Now with all the more correct food and dieting and attempts at exercise that fail, I could make nearly two  full sized adults of me, one out of the excess. Well not quite- Maybe the American chop suey got me eh?- Made mostly from  elbow noodles, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, worcestershire  sauce,  ground beef, salt and chopped onion. Or it might have been all those years of Congo Bars with the bitter chocolate bits. I just gained a couple ounces typing that one, made for great hard tack latter.

At New England all was served with a generous helping of fluids, mostly  of the Bourbon family. It was cold damp country that would go to freezing cold  and deep snow come winter which could last from mid September to late April up in the mountains.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

hmm fall foods?
well when i think of fall foods its usually desserts. like snickerdoodles and apple things. I hate pumpkin things.
I love apple cider. I haven't tried squash and I would like to try it sometime soon. I'm sure its good, I just have to find out how to cook it. sometimes i put it in soup with other veggies but i'd like to try it as a main thing sometime.
Usually when fall approaches, since living on my own, my husband and I tend to move towards warm foods like chicken noodles, soups, and other things made in the crock pot like roast or corn beef we bought months before when it was on sale. We end up eating more potatoes and rolls with our dinners; and more veggies in the colder months than the warm which is kinda odd now that I think about it.
This week, we have baked beans with hot dogs cut up in it with a roll. I am not sure anyone eats that anymore but I ate it alot growing up. I think this is the second time my husband and I had this for dinners since being married. we had some baked beans left over from this summer so i thought this is an easy way to get through them. 

• Thumbs Up 1