existential mabel

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-the-number-666-is-related-to-Roman-Emperor-Nero

in the first century AD, the Emperor Nero *specifically* was seen as a horrible person and persecutor of Christians. Christians of the first century had such strong negative feelings towards Nero that some even feared that he would come back from the dead to terrorize them more. To Christians in the first century, the imagery in Revelations would have been obvious. The “Whore of Babylon” who sat on seven mountains (Revelation 17:9 “The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.”) would have obviously represented the city of Rome itself, which famously sat on seven hills.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

7 hours ago, existential mabel said:

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-the-number-666-is-related-to-Roman-Emperor-Nero

in the first century AD, the Emperor Nero *specifically* was seen as a horrible person and persecutor of Christians. Christians of the first century had such strong negative feelings towards Nero that some even feared that he would come back from the dead to terrorize them more. To Christians in the first century, the imagery in Revelations would have been obvious. The “Whore of Babylon” who sat on seven mountains (Revelation 17:9 “The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.”) would have obviously represented the city of Rome itself, which famously sat on seven hills.

The author of Revelation identifies himself as John, four times.  He writes from exile on the isle of Patmos, a place where early writers report that John was exiled during the persecution of Christians under the Emperor Domitian.  Nero died in A.D. 68.  John reportedly was released after the death of Domitian in A.D. 96 and returned to Ephesus, where his writing, Revelation,  was sent around to the 'seven churches of Asia." 

Based on what I can discern, since it was written after Nero's death, and John referred to Revelation as prophetic; in the future, I do not think the person referred to in Revelation 13 was Nero.  In the context of the descriptions of this man having power to control what is bought or sold requiring a mark, or name of his beast cohort, or the number of his name, we are given the clue that his number is 666, and many have tried to interpret that different ways, Nero's name is one of those interpretations.  It may be that this person's name will have a numerical application similar to the method assigning the number 666 to Nero, but I do not think it was referencing Nero.     

Revelation is a book that promises a special blessing to those who read or hear it read so it must be important to study.  Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have made it more complicated because they can't imagine what it says will happen.  Some say it is historical; trying to match it to events in early church history, or preterist; current to the first two or three centuries of the church, and others that it is an idealist; symbolic of good over evil.  Then there are literal interpretations; pre-millennial, post-millennial, a-millennial, sequential, cyclic, pre-tribulation, mind-tribulation, post-tribulation, partial rapture, and pre-wrath rapture.  Because of all this, Revelation feels confusing to many. 

In Revelation 17 it talks about a "great whore" a symbolic woman.  Whenever Revelation is speaking of something symbolic, later the symbolism is always explained.  If it is not explained, I assume it is literal, as hard as it may be to imagine some of those things being literal, they could certainly happen.  As technology and things like genetic manipulations continue, it gets easier and easier to envision. 

In verse 17:18, the angel explains the woman represents a "great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth."  So, a great city over kings, got that.  Earlier we are told in verse 17:9 the "seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth."   From this we can know that the city sits on seven mountains, but what are the mountains?  Is it representing Rome?  The Greek word for "mountain" is "oros, not a hill, which is "bounos" in Greek.  Rome has hills, more than seven hills, and none are mountains.  It would have been easy for John to say "hills" in Greek, or Rome even, if that was what the angel said. 

The angel said in verse 17:7, "I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which had the seven heads and ten horns."  and remember in verse 17:9, "the seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth."  To me, it seems the mountains are the kings, and the angel continues explaining, "And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come, and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.  And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition."  So what does this mean? 

Since one of the kings "is", that one, would have been present at the time of the writing, and the five that were "fallen" were in the past, and then the "other is not yet come", is someone in the future. 

The angel explains, "and when he cometh, he must continue a short space", so he's not going to last a long time.  The angel explains "the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven", so this is the beast cohort of the ruler in Revelation 13, both he, the seventh, and the beast, the eighth. 

The angel then explains the "ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.  These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast."  The angel explains these kings will make "war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful."  It's pretty clear this is talking about Jesus. 

Now we are in verse 17:15, and the angel is still explaining what John saw, "The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues."  so, this great city, which had five kings, then one that was present at the time John wrote this, and a king that would come, "the seventh", and another at the same time, and after; "the eighth", has rule over everyone. 

The angel goes on, "And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore".  So the ten kings who gave their power over to the beast, and went to war against Jesus will eventually hate the city, "and make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.  For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.  And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth." 

So where is this city?  In 17:5 it is called;  "Mystery, Babylon the Great, the mother of harlots and abominations of the earth."  This city is "drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus."  Babylon is referred to in Revelation as an actual city; Revelation 14:8, 16:19, and 18:10.  Babylon was still a city when John wrote Revelation.  Today it is mostly in ruins, in Iraq, but Saddam Hussein attempted to restore it, and Iraq had ambitions to make it a capital of Islam. 

Babylon the city is thought to be the location where the Tower of Babel was built, and the reference of "tongues" seems to fit this assumption.  There were certainly powerful kings who ruled this area over the centuries, and it was where the first false religion took hold, so it could be considered the mother of false religion, one that would spread in many different forms throughout the world when the peoples were disbursed from the tower.  Geographically it remains an area in conflict, with a false religion, and much blood has been shed in its soil and because of its rule from the start of its existence to present day. 

For all these reasons, no, I do not think it is Rome, or Nero these verses are referencing.                                                                   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,458
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, God's Servant said:

The author of Revelation identifies himself as John, four times.  He writes from exile on the isle of Patmos, a place where early writers report that John was exiled during the persecution of Christians under the Emperor Domitian.  Nero died in A.D. 68.  John reportedly was released after the death of Domitian in A.D. 96 and returned to Ephesus, where his writing, Revelation,  was sent around to the 'seven churches of Asia." 

Based on what I can discern, since it was written after Nero's death, and John referred to Revelation as prophetic; in the future, I do not think the person referred to in Revelation 13 was Nero.  In the context of the descriptions of this man having power to control what is bought or sold requiring a mark, or name of his beast cohort, or the number of his name, we are given the clue that his number is 666, and many have tried to interpret that different ways, Nero's name is one of those interpretations.  It may be that this person's name will have a numerical application similar to the method assigning the number 666 to Nero, but I do not think it was referencing Nero.     

Revelation is a book that promises a special blessing to those who read or hear it read so it must be important to study.  Unfortunately, I think a lot of people have made it more complicated because they can't imagine what it says will happen.  Some say it is historical; trying to match it to events in early church history, or preterist; current to the first two or three centuries of the church, and others that it is an idealist; symbolic of good over evil.  Then there are literal interpretations; pre-millennial, post-millennial, a-millennial, sequential, cyclic, pre-tribulation, mind-tribulation, post-tribulation, partial rapture, and pre-wrath rapture.  Because of all this, Revelation feels confusing to many. 

In Revelation 17 it talks about a "great whore" a symbolic woman.  Whenever Revelation is speaking of something symbolic, later the symbolism is always explained.  If it is not explained, I assume it is literal, as hard as it may be to imagine some of those things being literal, they could certainly happen.  As technology and things like genetic manipulations continue, it gets easier and easier to envision. 

In verse 17:18, the angel explains the woman represents a "great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth."  So, a great city over kings, got that.  Earlier we are told in verse 17:9 the "seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth."   From this we can know that the city sits on seven mountains, but what are the mountains?  Is it representing Rome?  The Greek word for "mountain" is "oros, not a hill, which is "bounos" in Greek.  Rome has hills, more than seven hills, and none are mountains.  It would have been easy for John to say "hills" in Greek, or Rome even, if that was what the angel said. 

The angel said in verse 17:7, "I will tell thee the mystery of the woman, and of the beast that carrieth her, which had the seven heads and ten horns."  and remember in verse 17:9, "the seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth."  To me, it seems the mountains are the kings, and the angel continues explaining, "And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come, and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.  And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition."  So what does this mean? 

Since one of the kings "is", that one, would have been present at the time of the writing, and the five that were "fallen" were in the past, and then the "other is not yet come", is someone in the future. 

The angel explains, "and when he cometh, he must continue a short space", so he's not going to last a long time.  The angel explains "the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven", so this is the beast cohort of the ruler in Revelation 13, both he, the seventh, and the beast, the eighth. 

The angel then explains the "ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.  These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast."  The angel explains these kings will make "war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful."  It's pretty clear this is talking about Jesus. 

Now we are in verse 17:15, and the angel is still explaining what John saw, "The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues."  so, this great city, which had five kings, then one that was present at the time John wrote this, and a king that would come, "the seventh", and another at the same time, and after; "the eighth", has rule over everyone. 

The angel goes on, "And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the whore".  So the ten kings who gave their power over to the beast, and went to war against Jesus will eventually hate the city, "and make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.  For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.  And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth." 

So where is this city?  In 17:5 it is called;  "Mystery, Babylon the Great, the mother of harlots and abominations of the earth."  This city is "drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus."  Babylon is referred to in Revelation as an actual city; Revelation 14:8, 16:19, and 18:10.  Babylon was still a city when John wrote Revelation.  Today it is mostly in ruins, in Iraq, but Saddam Hussein attempted to restore it, and Iraq had ambitions to make it a capital of Islam. 

Babylon the city is thought to be the location where the Tower of Babel was built, and the reference of "tongues" seems to fit this assumption.  There were certainly powerful kings who ruled this area over the centuries, and it was where the first false religion took hold, so it could be considered the mother of false religion, one that would spread in many different forms throughout the world when the peoples were disbursed from the tower.  Geographically it remains an area in conflict, with a false religion, and much blood has been shed in its soil and because of its rule from the start of its existence to present day. 

For all these reasons, no, I do not think it is Rome, or Nero these verses are referencing.                                                                   

Hey God's Servant,

That's a very good analysis and explanation and it could be correct, and you've certainly done your homework. Here's my thoughts: Personally, I've always held on to my life long traditional view that "Mystery Babylon" was Rome. Naturally based on the 'seven hills', and the blood that the RCC has spilled throughout history (much more than Islam). In addition, the Apostle John and others would not be disparaging to the Caesar or to Rome, because if they were caught, they would face prison or death. A distinct possibility is they used code words to mask the identity of Rome? 

The great Colossus of Nebuchadnezzar's dream that Daniel interpreted; the two legs of 'iron', I've also held to the traditional view of the iron as symbolic of Rome. With the two legs representing the Western and Eastern divisions of the empire, of which the Eastern leg lasted 1,000 years longer than the West. The ten toes of 'iron mixed with clay' as a loose confederation of European states, etc. (the traditional view).

Anyway, we know Daniel's prophecies were sealed until the time of the end (and knowledge shall be increased), and in addition to our technical knowledge and advancements, I believe that it also includes biblical knowledge and understanding increasing.

However, there's been a number of scholars and smart Bible teachers that have changed their biblical traditional hermeneutic views of the symbolism. Such as Dr. Kent Hovind and a number of others, whom now believe the two iron legs represent the two major sects of Islam, shia / sunni. And the ten toes the five pillars of Islam, and the Eastern leg of the Roman empire (Ottoman Empire), which are all Muslim now. Of course there's much more to this theory and explanation to get into, but I can't find any major holes in this 'new' interpretation. 

Now I'm sort of on the fence between the two interpretations, but I'm still leaning toward the traditional view of Rome and not Islam. Reason being: Timing... Psalm 83: is a controversial subject of whether or not "another" future war between Israel and its surrounding hostile nations is going to occur. But setting that aside, the Ezekiel 38: - 39: Gog / Magog war is going to decimate Muslim's and the Islamic faith by the Lord striking them down. Russia's military is now comprised of about 40% Muslim. In addition, what's going to happen to Elam (1/6 of SW Iran) and the Bushehr nuclear facility, Egypt and the city of Damascus, Syria, I believe will crush the Islamic faith. 

A thought... What if it's both? Do you see the strong ecumenical movement by Pope Francis and the unprecedented things he is saying? The strong push of getting the 'protesters' back to the "one true church", and passivizing the Muslim's that we all worship the same god? 

Anywho, I don't think we have long to wait and all this is coming together faster than I can keep up with. We see it all shaping up right before our very own eyes with each passing day.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

This might not be scholary advice , but it is something a babe can grasp.    ITS impossible for NERO to have been the beast spoken of in rev chapter thirteen.

I mean AT THE COMING of CHRIST this beast and false prophet are both cast alive into a lake of fire .

And the last time I checked,  NERO is not still alive .    NO ,   it speaks of the END DAYS .   But mark my words ,  the dark spirits are already at work

preparing both a mindset and a system , to make ready the world for this beast .     OH YES , don't look back ,    Its not in the past ,   THE SPIRIT of inquity

only works harder and faster NOW to make ready a system and people for the beast .

6 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Hey God's Servant,

That's a very good analysis and explanation and it could be correct, and you've certainly done your homework. Here's my thoughts: Personally, I've always held on to my life long traditional view that "Mystery Babylon" was Rome. Naturally based on the 'seven hills', and the blood that the RCC has spilled throughout history (much more than Islam). In addition, the Apostle John and others would not be disparaging to the Caesar or to Rome, because if they were caught, they would face prison or death. A distinct possibility is they used code words to mask the identity of Rome? 

The great Colossus of Nebuchadnezzar's dream that Daniel interpreted; the two legs of 'iron', I've also held to the traditional view of the iron as symbolic of Rome. With the two legs representing the Western and Eastern divisions of the empire, of which the Eastern leg lasted 1,000 years longer than the West. The ten toes of 'iron mixed with clay' as a loose confederation of European states, etc. (the traditional view).

Anyway, we know Daniel's prophecies were sealed until the time of the end (and knowledge shall be increased), and in addition to our technical knowledge and advancements, I believe that it also includes biblical knowledge and understanding increasing.

However, there's been a number of scholars and smart Bible teachers that have changed their biblical traditional hermeneutic views of the symbolism. Such as Dr. Kent Hovind and a number of others, whom now believe the two iron legs represent the two major sects of Islam, shia / sunni. And the ten toes the five pillars of Islam, and the Eastern leg of the Roman empire (Ottoman Empire), which are all Muslim now. Of course there's much more to this theory and explanation to get into, but I can't find any major holes in this 'new' interpretation. 

Now I'm sort of on the fence between the two interpretations, but I'm still leaning toward the traditional view of Rome and not Islam. Reason being: Timing... Psalm 83: is a controversial subject of whether or not "another" future war between Israel and its surrounding hostile nations is going to occur. But setting that aside, the Ezekiel 38: - 39: Gog / Magog war is going to decimate Muslim's and the Islamic faith by the Lord striking them down. Russia's military is now comprised of about 40% Muslim. In addition, what's going to happen to Elam (1/6 of SW Iran) and the Bushehr nuclear facility, Egypt and the city of Damascus, Syria, I believe will crush the Islamic faith. 

A thought... What if it's both? Do you see the strong ecumenical movement by Pope Francis and the unprecedented things he is saying? The strong push of getting the 'protesters' back to the "one true church", and passivizing the Muslim's that we all worship the same god?  

Anywho, I don't think we have long to wait and all this is coming together faster than I can keep up with. We see it all shaping up right before our very own eyes with each passing day.

It may be something "new", a new world religion of peace to unify the masses.  There are several wars prophesied that are not yet fulfilled in the region which according to scriptures sound catastrophic and God gets the credit.  These wars could upend Islam, as hard as that is to grasp currently, leaving room for something else to take root, and this new leader could very well be drawn to setting their headquarters in the same spot as ancient Babylon, where the roots of false religions sprang from all over the world.  Scriptures say many in this region will turn to God after these wars, but then a leader rises up and the last week begins.   At some point, and there is much debate as to this timing, this leader declares war on anyone who refuses to worship him, two witnesses show up in Jerusalem, the believers are removed and a remnant of Israel is protected, Angels profess the gospel in the air, and the wrath of God begins.   I agree, there isn't much left to be fulfilled and much of it seems to be on a razor's edge of happening any day.            

• Thumbs Up 1

The last week, the 7 year period referred to as the tribulation, in Daniel's vision, and this same time period in John's vision in Revelation isn't an easy study because it requires knowledge of many scriptures before you start, otherwise it won't have meaning to the reader.  It would be like trying to make sense of a long calculus problem when you didn't know how to add yet.  I think that is why some of the scriptures proceed the information with a call to wisdom.  It isn't something I try to explain often because so few people really want to take the time that it takes to break it down.  It is also hard to know where to start because I do not know how much of it they know.  It is considered an open problem in that no one knows the day or the hour but the believer is told to watch for specific signs, so we will not be without wisdom of these things, and more will be revealed as the time draws closer.  So, I will attempt to share what I gleaned from the study of this subject.  I think the best place to start is listing some of the scriptures that hold key information.  Please share any others you think are important.   I will break it down in several posts.   

Here are the first set of scriptures:

Daniel 8:13-14 King James Version (KJV) 13 Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot?  14 And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

Daniel 9:27 King James Version (KJV)27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Daniel 12:11-12 King James Version (KJV)11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days. 12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

Revelation 11:2-3 King James Version (KJV) 2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months. 3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Revelation 11:9 King James Version (KJV) 9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.

Revelation 11:11 King James Version (KJV)11 And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

Revelation 11:13 King James Version (KJV)13 And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.

Revelation 12:6 King James Version (KJV)6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

Revelation 12:14 King James Version (KJV) 14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

Another scripture set:

Luke 21: And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.

And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.

And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:

For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,

As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?

And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:

11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.

12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

13 And it shall turn to you for a testimony.

14 Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:

15 For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.

17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

18 But there shall not an hair of your head perish.

19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

29 And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;

30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.

31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.

36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

And more:

II Thessalonians 2: Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Still more:

1 Thessalonians 5: But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.

For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.