Submitting to parents

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

It’s been a year that I’ve been under the Gospel along with my parents as well. I understand that sometimes I may act childish but my father lets it be known. He will say things like “you haven’t grown” and “I can see the malice in your heart” or “how can you do this, but then go to church and listen to sermons” or “you need to read your bible more”. It’s just every time he throws our Christianity hard in my face and maybe he should, but it discourages me a little because maybe I am not growing at all. He talks about submitting to them as parents, but I honestly don’t know how to because they way they treat me is a harsh to where I just don’t want to be around them anymore. Are there specific scriptures that can help guide me?

thank you.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praying! 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

You feast on your bible .   I promise the more you learn you will understand .    I know chastening may not seem joyful at the time

but IF your parents are truly following Christ ,  then be HAPPY they are .   Cause most are not .   You will grow from this , I PROMISE .

Now you would have to be more specific for me to be able to say more .   Try and remember your parents ARE RESPONSIBLE for your well being and upbringing.

SO as long as they aint telling you things CONTRARY to CHRIST ,   just be patient .   One thing that will make this so much easier .   IS no matter the correction ,

Just be encouraged and don't fight or back talk .   Not saying you DO , but just don't .   Be patient and kind and always ready to hear good pure advice .

Just the attitude of being ready to receive the correction ,   can make things all better .   Example ,  if you are n error, and pops gets mad,

Just be sorry and happy that at least you have a father who is trying to do what is best for you .    Most don't have that either . 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

This really helped me open my eyes as a young women. Your right and they are right I need to feast on my bible. Thank you thank you thank you for your humble advice 

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,016
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,291
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Glad you were helped by Frienduff's advice.

We are to honor and respect our parents in the Lord.... Ephesians 6:1-3, Colossians 3:20.  However, parents are also supposed to use wisdom in how they are correcting their children.   Colossians 3:21 says "Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged."

Personally I think most of us respond more to loving discipline, rather than to harsh discipline.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

12 hours ago, madilynnbrown said:

This really helped me open my eyes as a young women. Your right and they are right I need to feast on my bible. Thank you thank you thank you for your humble advice 

YOU LOVED DEAR SISTER .     Oh let us be encouraged IN THE LORD and let us just feast on our bible and learn From HIM    .     You be encouraged sister .

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Respect their criticism about you, but also read the Bible and/or talk to Jesus about this.  Jesus commands us to honor our parents, but He also wants us to "hate" our parents and follow Him.  ("Hate" means to love God above all things, not to literally hate our parents).  Our parents love us, but God is more capable and is above all, as He is our eternal Father.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

2 hours ago, John_Leung said:

Respect their criticism about you, but also read the Bible and/or talk to Jesus about this.  Jesus commands us to honor our parents, but He also wants us to "hate" our parents and follow Him.  ("Hate" means to love God above all things, not to literally hate our parents).  Our parents love us, but God is more capable and is above all, as He is our eternal Father.

Do you mind providing a scripture?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Hi Madilynn,

you have to submit, in my opinion.

Let's come to talk about violence. In my opinion, there is verbal violence, too.

I'm against all forms of violence against children.

When they said "you've not grown" they didn't criticise an action but YOU. And this is where the threashold is exceeded: They're leaving the subject level. They could have said: "please clean the table next time when you eat!". But they chose to say "you are...". This is violence in my sight.

Paul did it, too. 2. Timothee 2:15. But he has been under attack from the person he criticised personally. So, Paul's words were in response to what has happened against him.

Rest assured: you're made by God, and you are created very special - Genesis 9:6.

Jesus as I see it was against verbal violence, too, as can be seen in Mt 5:22.

Genesis 9:6b:

for in the image of God made he man.

When they criticise you at the personal level, they criticise the image of God (my interpretation of that verse).

Regards,

Thomas

Edited by thomas t
I exchanged "if" for "when"