Big Time

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I was going to buy a new Jeep and a house with an indoor swimming pool and a bowling ally.  ? 

Guest Naturebuff
3 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I see this morning that no one won, probably get over 2 billion now?

My attitude: I don't "personally" gamble, I don't want to become instantly rich or wealthy period. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being rich, or a person can't be a Christian and wealthy. I know how my flesh would react and the thoughts of myself, pleasures and greed might conflict with my spirit? I'm quite content living from paycheck to paycheck and depending on the Lord to meet my needs. 

Now for Paul Harvey's, "the rest of the story", a.k.a. my dirty laundry. Decades ago I married a non-believer, I'm unequally yoked but not giving up and working on it since I repented. My wife likes those scratch off lottery tickets, so infrequently, I'll purchase a few of them for her, with the carnal thought of, "happy wife; happy life". 

Yeah, I know what you're thinking, and you're right and I have no biblical defense. What gratification is there getting something you didn't earn anyway, not to mention a camel passing through the eye of a needle.

“What gratification is there getting something you didn't earn anyway”

*applause and Amen*

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Days Won:  0

Hear is what many believers do. They think they must do his work in some way. A worthy ideal, andI did the very thing you think will please. I got a very rude awakening He never told me to do that. It was all about me and a pat on the back.  

God will still use us if we just walk the walk and let him show us how to please Him 

I thought about the two greatest commandments. " Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all your heart mind and soul. and seconed love thy neighbor as thy self.  If we just do this we will please Him 

Edited by Mike Mclees
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

2 minutes ago, Naturebuff said:

“What gratification is there getting something you didn't earn anyway”

*applause and Amen*

I don't disagree with that, but I'll share something that happened years ago anyway.

I was in the Air Force and stationed in Arkansas, going to a great church that was about 20 miles from where I lived. One of the older members there inherited a rather large amount of money - and told no one. He and his wife didn't buy a new house, car, or any of that, but all of a sudden the church started getting mystery donations. These were needed as it was not a "rich people" church. Food, clothing, and other necessities showed up on needy families doorsteps, even though they hadn't asked for help. It seemed strange at the time, but as I look back, I know the couple was doing what Jesus said we should: they weren't letting the right hand know what the left was doing. It created quite a stir because no one knew who the phantom benefactor was at the time. I only found out when they told me during a visit years later. 

They both said they had never had so much fun as they did praying and asking the Lord where the next gift, donation, food box, etc. was supposed to go. It wasn't lotto winnings, but I think their Christian character had a lot to do with why the Lord blessed them with those funds.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  03/26/1972

OK. Good.  I didn't win.  But yeah, I want to do good things for the poor and homeless and my family and close friends, etc.  

Now it's up to 1.6 BILLION!!!  Talk me down, brothers and Sisters, talk me down.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 minute ago, Big Time said:

OK. Good.  I didn't win.  But yeah, I want to do good things for the poor and homeless and my family and close friends, etc.  

Now it's up to 1.6 BILLION!!!  Talk me down, brothers and Sisters, talk me down.

Kind David which was considered a man after God's Own Heart operated this way

2Sam 24:17-25

24:17-25 He builds an altar and stops the plague. David repented again and begged the Lord to stop the plague. God instructed him to build an altar at the threshing floor of Araunah. When Araunah offered to give the threshing floor to David, David insisted on buying it so that his sacrifice to God would not be without personal cost. David's attitude recalls that of Abraham centuries earlier when he bought the cave of Machpelah (Gen 23:1-16). In light of ancient Near Eastern customs, the offer of the gift may in both cases have been only a formality, the seller fully expecting the buyer to insist on paying. The land purchased, David built an altar, and the plague was lifted. 
(from Willmington's Bible Handbook by Harold Willmington Copyright © 1997 by Harold L. Willmington. Produced with permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. All rights reserved.)

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

3 hours ago, Big Time said:

My uncle buys them regularly as he wants to help the entire family....his nieces and one remaining sister (my mom).  He never married or had any children.    He raised two of my cousins who had irresponsible parents...both girls became Christians.

He did without all of his life so he could provide dental work, medical treatment and clothing for some of his nieces.  Meanwhile he lost all of his own teeth and no dentures.   Some of his own clothing is threadbare as told to me by one of my cousins.  Even now at 77 years old and just on a small social security, he is still helping others and wanting to help others more...so he buys the tickets.    As I told the OP, I don't buy them but I won't hit anyone else over the head about buying them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

8 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Not to blast you but- the road to  i think buying lotto tickets with the hopes that God will make you win so you can do His work shows a lack of faith in His ability to provide using His way. Itls like when Sarah tried to get an heir via Hagar. God doesnt need our "Help" to carry out his purpose

no its just another possible opportunity. its better that money is used that way than spent away into debt which is so common among those that win the lottery. I don't see how buying a lottery ticket for an opportunity to win money you wish to put toward others showing a lack of faith in God's ability. I also dont see how it could be said he is "helping" God by buying a ticket either.
This is like saying getting two jobs is showing a lack of faith because you want to put that money towards helping others or that you are trying to "help" God do whatever. granted working is earning while winning is just being given money just because your name was drawn. But I don't understand how you can link these.
at the end of the day, I do still believe generally lottery tickets are unwise.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

So bingo at the church is okay, lotto may or may not be okay, and blackjack is bad.  Very confusing.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

No I did not, to answer your question.