Renewing the mind

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hello.   I am trying to renew my mind with G0ds word.  But I keep getting the old thoughts that strike again.   Also i woke up today just feeling somethings missing.  I tried to rest in Gods love this morning but i could figure out how.   I feel that Gods love is the solution to these evil thoughts that i have.  do you have any advice friends? i also really want to read Gods word more but i just cant find the drive.

Ps i have a job that i am not doing so well at.  i am thinking of quitting.  at first i thought it would motivate me to pray to God more..... but now im not so sure.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Here's something I do when I can't concentrate on the actual words of scripture. I put it on in the background and listen to the Word. I started this yrs ago when I bought the Bible on cassette. But today it's easier. Biblegateway has several audio Bibles that you can just leave on as you go about your day. You might even absorb certain principles by doing this. Try it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 10/21/2018 at 10:29 AM, Tyler22 said:

Hello.   I am trying to renew my mind with G0ds word.  But I keep getting the old thoughts that strike again.   Also i woke up today just feeling somethings missing.  I tried to rest in Gods love this morning but i could figure out how.   I feel that Gods love is the solution to these evil thoughts that i have.  do you have any advice friends? i also really want to read Gods word more but i just cant find the drive.

Ps i have a job that i am not doing so well at.  i am thinking of quitting.  at first i thought it would motivate me to pray to God more..... but now im not so sure.

Hi Tyler22. You have shared before and that is good as it helps all of us to better "see"  what you are about and how you progress in this world.

Most people do not use  phrases like "renew my mind" except as an attempt at  "Christian speak" that some utilize. While it may come from the letter of Paul known as Romans and found at chapter 12, renewal of the mind in of itself is not a complete process at all. It may be that it is not even a Godly renewal. So perhaps a look at the idea of renewal will be of benefit, if you seek out a study for yourself, something to peak  your interest in the Bible and in God's guidance for you.

From Bible Hub  comes this excerpt of just one commentary on renewal:

"... By the renewing of your mind.--"The mind" (i.e., the mental faculties, reason, or understanding) is in itself neutral. When informed by an evil principle, it becomes an instrument of evil; when informed by the Spirit, it is an instrument of good. It performs the process of discrimination between good and evil, and so supplies the data to conscience. "The mind" here is not strictly identical with what we now mean by "conscience;" it is, as it were, the rational part of conscience, to which the moral quality needs to be superadded. The "renewedmind," or the mind acting under the influence of the Spirit, comes very near to "conscience" in the sense in which the word is used by Bishop Butler.

Prove.--As elsewhere, "discriminate, and so approve." The double process is included: first, of deciding what the will of God is; and, secondly, of choosing and acting upon it.

What is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.--The "will of God" is here, not the divine attribute of will, but the thing willed by God, the right course of action. Are we to take the adjectives "good, and acceptable, and perfect" (with the Authorised version), as in agreement with this phrase, or are they rather in apposition to it, "that we may prove the will of God, that which is good, and acceptable, and perfect"? Most of the commentators prefer this latter way of taking the passage, but it is not quite clear that the former is impossible, "that good, and acceptable, and perfect thing, or course of action which God wills." "Acceptable," that is to say, to God Himself." ....

That is just an excerpt the more complete presentation is at www.biblehub.com/romans/12-2.htm  Just keep scrolling down past the ads to get to the commentaries on the scripture.

As to the job- Keep it, do it far better than you are doing it now! Make your employer- supervisor stand up and take notice of your new work habits and change of attitude that you might be projecting now. Do seek out a better job, and when you find it you will leave behind a good sense with your old employer that you were an asset to them. Thank them for the opportunity to have worked for them and move on  to a higher and better personal challenge. Also ask an immediate supervisor for a letter of recommendation that you may keep for your resume.

Always seek out a new job while still employed, never ever quit a job without already having another first. Not having a job makes it harder to become  accepted by  a potential new employer. Who wants a quitter if there are others fully employed that one can select from?  Employers pay more to already employed workers to entice them than they will offer to unemployed individuals- just the way it is. Play it smart, not emotional, play harder than ever before, and be an assset that they will miss when you are gone on to new things in life.

May God bless.

Edited by Neighbor

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

Tyler 22 for what its worth I would get me a Good commentary study Bible. I would get a couple of real good devotionals with daily scripture. I would recommend Our Daily Bread for one. Make time every morning to spend time in prayer not being afraid to ask God to help you grow in your knowledge and understanding. Erase you thoughts about the many things you have to do so you listen To God without distractions. After you have prayed sit down and do the daily devotion.  God withholds nothing to they who seek Him from the heart. Be patient Our perseverance will be tested.

Blessed are thows that Hunger and thirst for righteousness. 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

welcome to the war...

2 Cor 10:4-7

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

7 Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.
KJV

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Rom 12:2  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Eph 4:17  This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, Eph 4:18  having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; Eph 4:19  who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Eph 4:20  But you have not so learned Christ, Eph 4:21  if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: Eph 4:22  that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, Eph 4:23  and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, Eph 4:24  and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

Eph 4:25  Therefore, putting away lying, "LET EACH ONE OF YOU SPEAK TRUTH WITH HIS NEIGHBOR," for we are members of one another.

Eph 4:26  "BE ANGRY, AND DO NOT SIN": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, Eph 4:27  nor give place to the devil.

Eph 4:28  Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.

Eph 4:29  Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

Eph 4:30  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Eph 4:31  Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.

Eph 4:32  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Eph 5:1  Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.

Eph 5:2  And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

Eph 5:3  But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; Eph 5:4  neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Eph 5:5  For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Eph 5:6  Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

Eph 5:7  Therefore do not be partakers with them.

Eph 5:8  For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light Eph 5:9  (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), Eph 5:10  finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.

Eph 5:11  And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.

Eph 5:12  For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret.

Eph 5:13  But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.

Eph 5:14  Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light."

Eph 5:15  See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, Eph 5:16  redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Eph 5:17  Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

Eph 5:18  And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, Eph 5:19  speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, Eph 5:20  giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Eph 5:21  submitting to one another in the fear of God.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 10/21/2018 at 8:29 AM, Tyler22 said:

I think that every Christian goes through dry periods where it seems like we're just not in tune with God. For myself, I sometimes find that I am trying to lead God instead of allowing Him to lead me. I don't know if that makes sense but it's how I feel at times.

Also, it helps at times to read the Bible out loud to myself. It makes me concentrate.

As far as the job goes, have you asked God if you should? Just a thought.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 10/21/2018 at 10:29 AM, Tyler22 said:

1) Thoughts are different than sins (it takes TIME to renew the mind fully, and the mind is truly only fully renewed when Jesus transforms us, at the Rapture).

2) Feelings are different than facts (the Bible reality if you've trusted Christ is God loves you and you're saved, which is different than FEELING something is lacking on a given day).

3) Will reading MORE help you or will reading BETTER help you? Pray that Jesus will help you get more out of your Bible study, not that you will have endurance to study longer.

4) Don't quit your job now, because key decisions should be made when unemotional. Also, don't quit your job unless you first get another job!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I feel you here. The mind is a place of chaos and it's a place i'd really rather not be.

However, the way I see it, you are what you focus on. I've still got problems because I spent quite some time being a non-believer, and all that nasty, awkward, or stupid stuff I did or watched still surges back to the forefront of my mind, more often than i'd prefer it to. I'd like to think i've gotten better with time, though. That is what we both need: time. Not only time to learn and grow, but a time to rest and reflect as well. Not that a drive isn't a good thing, but driving too hard will just wear you out, you know? It's like when you're running track and field; pace yourself. Freaking out will do more harm than good.

What I find tends to help is to try and find things to distract myself with. Either actual labor or just challenging things to think about. Go for a walk, do a puzzle, maybe just try to think about life, those kinds of things. I also like to write poetry, which works wonders. Prayer, of course, but it never hurts to have a distraction.

As for the job thing... Everyone here has given decent advice, but most folks forget that getting a job has much to do with confidence. Not overconfidence, mind you, but you just need to have that general attitude of "I know I can do this, I can do this". A reserved confidence, I like to call it. It's true that employers are absolutely doofy about who they do or do not hire, but whether you keep your job or not, just keep that in mind. I've had terrible endings to jobs before and i've sprung back, not only because of that reserved confidence, but also realizing that the Lord provides. If it is meant to be, so shall it be.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

Welcome to salvation Tyler. Be peaceful in your heart because God will never let you go. It will be tough, but you always have your God. Read the Bible and pray every day. You must. It’s a hard life either way, choose LIFE!  Don’t let go.