Debp

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

:thumbsup: So true, Deb. Great scripture and helpful advice. GBU.

1 hour ago, Debp said:

As coals are to the burning coals, and wood to a fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.  Proverbs 26:21

The above is a short verse but speaks volumes.  Have you ever been around a person who seems to have an argumentative spirit?   They are contentious.   It's best to seek to be a peacemaker while in their company.   Don't get led into strife by their contentious words.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 

(Matthew 5:9)

-------------------------------------------------

"If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all." 

(Romans 12:18)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

*An important rule of thumb is to: 

"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry."
James 1:19

1) Quick to listen

2) slow to speak

3) slow to get angry

These are 3 truths/aims we'd all do well to memorize (and of course, practice.):)

*Slow to speak...that is key.

Choosing your words carefully is worth it. For it can prevent much hurt to the unfortunate recipient on the other end of your impassioned rant.

Also, it can prevent deep regret to the one who lashes out in the heat of the moment. I refer to it as the 'you can't unbreak the egg.' dillema.:( Sure, you can apologize to the one you were harsh with and they can forgive you. This should and must be part of the body of Christ's behavior.

However...

Our human brains are a bit like a computer's data base where hurts go into the deep recesses of the operating system... Forgetting is much harder than forgiving, sadly. It's just the way it is. So 'an ounce of prevention now is worth a pound of cure later.' Working to stop something from happening is easier and better than having to try to resolve it later. 

And why give our enemy, the devil a place? We can avoid unnecessary condemnation by Satan, the accuser of the brethren and ongoing bouts with remorse/ guilt by practicing the self control that is one of the fruits of the Spirit. It may sound simple and practical ( a 'no-brainer'); but it is easier said than done, I know :red_smile: ...(that sin nature always standing by)

*Letting the Holy Spirit guide is vital. 

"If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." Galatians 5:25

9 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Don't get led into strife by their contentious words.

:amen:Yep, Debp is so right.

*Words do matter.

"Do not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what you say will do good to those who hear you." Ephesians 4:29 

@Debp Thanks again, sis for this thread. And thanks for being a good role model :thumbsup:of how it ought to be. I so enjoy :emot-heartbeat:your positive influence here on the forums!

Edited by turtletwo
corrected spelling error
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/24/1986

Proverbs 18:21 New King James Version (NKJV)

21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.

Meaning words have power.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, and adds learning to his lips.  Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.   Proverbs 16:23-24

Our words should come from our heart, speaking truth from our inward parts.   Also, pleasant words are to be treasured, and can even benefit our health.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

A small gem from Hudson Taylor:

Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.  Matthew 12:34

Be careful of your attitude and habitude of mind and heart.  Occasional good acts or words signify little; but the half-unconscious and semi-involuntary frames are the true index of spiritual growth, and constitute the essence of character.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

6 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

When I think of this verse, my mind goes to Proverbs 4:23, "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." 

That verse  would probably apply to those who run the forums  oy veying those they dont like over and over because it is passive aggressive attacks. . From out of the heart the mouth speaks

So yeah. I agree with you and Deb! 

:)

Edited by 1sheep

1 minute ago, Abby-Joy said:

Back to topic... 

Proverbs 12:6

“The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright shall deliver them.” 

I AM ON TOPIC.  

HERES A FEW TO MEDITATE ON. THESE PERTAIN TO PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE ACTIONS: 

Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord but those who act faithfully are his delight. Proverbs 12:22

For whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit;… 1 Peter 3:10

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Ephesians 4:31

Staying on topic: 

Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. Philippians 4:4

…if possible, as far as depends on you, living in peace with all men. Romans 12:18

Who says I am discussing you? I dont appreciate your açcusing me.

I havent said one word to you.

I am discussing the topic and what it means to me. 

Heres another I like:Romans 12:

For I say to every man that is among you, through the grace given unto me, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.