• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

Accept discipline from God or situation gets even worse

This is scriptural evidence in the right context that shows He will discipline us from time to time. Notice that He does it as He loves us as His children and it says we should not make light of it i.e. we should take heed of it.

1 John 3:1 (NIV) See what great love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! .....

Hebrews 12:5-6 (NIV) ..... my son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves and chastens everyone he accepts as his son (or daughter).

Real life example:
A young son and his Father are sitting by a log fire in their house and the son is interested in looking at the flames of the fire. The son decides in curiosity to put his hands dangerously close to the flames. The Father then raises his voice at his son and slaps the sons wrist.
The Father then explains to his son why he did that. He said "son, fire can hurt you in a serious way so I did that so that you will remember not to play with fire again".
This brief discipline may seem harsh but but it is actually loving as this son will now never be burned by fire as he has learnt his lesson.

Example of God's discipline:

God can discipline us through situations and circumstances too e.g. if we are stupid and decide to try drugs then God may bring about a situation where you lose one of your material possessions whilst you are intoxicated and out of your mind. If you recognise what happened in heavenlies here and miss the possession that you lost, then you should learn to not do drugs ever again and thus be safe.

If God is disciplining us then firstly, it is horrible for Him if we resist as He finds it hard enough anyway, smacking or raises His voice at His child that He loves so dearly. It is painful for Him to have to keep doing and wondering when it will end or when you will learn.
It is also painful for you as He will not stop until you learn as you have to learn as you have to be right before you can get to heaven. It is absolutely horrible when we resist as it will continue like a deeply sad and grueling fight between two people who love each other.

This post may seem harsh but lets not be in denial about this please. God loves in cuddly way sometimes but also in a stern way too, just like you might see any good earthly Father do.

Shalom :)

Edited by Sharky and George
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

Yes, the Father's discipline can be very painful, but the results (if we don't fight it) are well worth it!  I believe that when we've come through it, it brings us into a deeper relationship with the Lord.  Allows us to walk in more freedom and it changes our character (or inner being) to be more like Jesus!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

True true. I don't know why but some of us receive more discipline than others. I'm one of them. It seems I can't do anything wrong with having my wrist slapped. When I was younger I resented this and I fought God. I soon learned I can't win so I stopped fighting. This is why I'm always saying we must obey the Lord. I think He wants me to keep reminding everyone too.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1