• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

On December 8, 2018 at 6:56 AM, shiloh357 said:

No, you can't enjoy spiritual growth without reading and studying the Bible.  

Response violates the law of the excluded middle 

When we read Luther, or Bonehoffer or even how Plato and Aristotle argued against atheism in their day, we can grow spiritually via the truths we discover. All truth is God's truth, is a quote from none other than the father of Christian philosophy, Augustine! Reaffirmed often and even the motto of many Christian colleges. You seem to be in scarce company on the narrowness of "spiritual" knowledge" above. 

Edited by Uber Genius

Guest shiloh357
38 minutes ago, Uber Genius said:

When we read Luther, or Bonehoffer or even how Plato and Aristotle argued against atheism in their day, we can grow spiritually via the truths we discover. All truth is God's truth, is a quote from none other than the father of Christian philosophy, Augustine! Reaffirmed often and even the motto of many Christian colleges. You seem to be in scarce company on the narrowness of "spiritual" knowledge" above. 

Those writings are beneficial and helpful and inspirational, but our spiritual growth comes only from the Bible as it is the source of our spiritual knowledge and understanding.  It is what produces faith within us (Rom. 10:17).   We are to meditate upon the Word of God day and night.  The Bible puts a premium on surrounding ourselves with wise counsel to be sure, but that is not the source of spiritual growth for the believer.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

On 12/8/2018 at 6:56 AM, shiloh357 said:

No, you can't enjoy spiritual growth without reading and studying the Bible.  

Without the Bible, spiritual growth cannot happen.

The Bible is God's plan for how we live.  It is His commandments and promises.  It shows us the way of salvation.   It is not a "users manual." 

I didn't say it is useful.  I am saying that it is not merely useful.   To teach that the Bible is useful is humanistic and utilitarian.  The Bible is essential for how we live and grow as Christians. 

On 12/8/2018 at 7:13 AM, enoob57 said:

It is The Word of God that renews my mind to be enabled to do The Will of God in Christ Jesus.... it is literal the formation of my s/Spiritual life for His Glory...

On 12/8/2018 at 1:34 PM, Wnl said:

Wnl  Lets keep science simple, you can only discover what God put on earth and all the universe in the beginning.   You CANNOT  discover anything new under the sun to God, because God made all things for man to discover. You can't discover anything that wasn't here in the first place, it's impossible,God wants you to find everything that He made, I believe that discovery will come to an end, that's when I believe Jesus will return by His Holy Spirit  With Love William

On 12/8/2018 at 2:38 PM, FresnoJoe said:

:mgdetective:

Amen~!

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? Revelation 6:12-17

~

Love, Your Brother Joe

4 hours ago, Uber Genius said:

4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Those writings are beneficial and helpful and inspirational, but our spiritual growth comes only from the Bible as it is the source of our spiritual knowledge and understanding.  It is what produces faith within us (Rom. 10:17).   We are to meditate upon the Word of God day and night.  The Bible puts a premium on surrounding ourselves with wise counsel to be sure, but that is not the source of spiritual growth for the believer.

:emot-heartbeat:

Men Lie And Lie

For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. Romans 3:3-4

Time Will Tell

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11

Who Creates

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

And Who

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. Jude 1:14-18

Fibs And Fibs

And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. Ecclesiastes 12:12-14                                                

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Front Of My Gideon Bible

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/15/1945

On 12/9/2018 at 11:48 PM, FresnoJoe said:

:emot-heartbeat:

Men Lie And Lie

For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. Romans 3:3-4

Time Will Tell

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11

Who Creates

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9

And Who

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. Jude 1:14-18

Fibs And Fibs

And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. Ecclesiastes 12:12-14                                                

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Front Of My Gideon Bible

I agree and Amen to your explanation of the Bible and the examples of life within it, but for me Jesus comes formost as He is the only the truth, life and the way that we should follow as did the deciples and others.

I would like to add that you don't just receive teaching from the Bible, but directly from God Him self.

All through the Bible God spoke to His people and He hasn't stopped, so are you LISTENING and obedient to Gods call.

Dont do a Jonah            With Love Wnl

• Loved it! 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 12/9/2018 at 12:58 PM, Uber Genius said:

When we read Luther, or Bonehoffer or even how Plato and Aristotle argued against atheism in their day, we can grow spiritually via the truths we discover. All truth is God's truth, is a quote from none other than the father of Christian philosophy, Augustine! Reaffirmed often and even the motto of many Christian colleges. 

Yes. 

Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, who have not the law, do by nature those things that are of the law; these having not the law are a law to themselves

Romans 1:20  For the invisible things of him, from the creation of the world, are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made; his eternal power also, and divinity: so that they are inexcusable.

Edited by The Barbarian

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, thomas t said:
Dear community,
recently we discussed a science topic here on worthy*, and then it turned out that someone said scientists "manipulate" data, and everyone seemed to be perfectly fine with this claim.

So, do we really think scientists are evildoers manipulating the data coming from their own research - their daily bread?
The problem that I see with this is that scientists may take offence.

If ever someone wants to accuse scientists here again, please back up your claim by using data and sources. Please use one example and be specific. Explain which exact data you think was manipulated. Please indicate your source and explain why you deem your sources to be more trustworthy than the scientists accused. "google this and that" is not enough to back up a claim, I think.

-----
DISCLAIMER.
Personally, I do believe that God created the earth in six literal days some 30 generations before king David, as Bible sais.
But I'm aware of the fact that scientists claim otherwise. For me personally, I reconcile these two thinking that scientists reach the wrong conclusions from the data.
However, I would never go as far as to say that they collected the wrong data or even manipulated them.
I believe the world to look older than it really is, very much in the way it looked older right the first day of it's creation (Genesis chapter one).
I also believe Adam to have looked older than he was in Genesis chapter 2 (one day old only).

Regards,
Thomas

Manipulating science makes no sense unless you want the Nobel prize