• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

You are definitely led by "a" spirit, but it is not the Holy Spirit.  

:24:   I maybe out of line here but that was funny. :24:

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Wrong.   Figures of speech, grammar, literary genre, word definitions are as old as language.  That is common to all languages as old as time.   The term "Hermeneutics" as referring to rules of literary analysis is more recent, but the nuts and bolts of what we now call Hermeneutics is as old as the oldest language.   

Again, you don't know what you're talking about (not that you are going to let ignorance get in the way...)

I suggest everyone do a search on history of Hermeneutics.  Let each man and woman see for themselves.  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 minute ago, LadyKay said:

Are you two really arguing about a diagram? :43:

That poor lil bugger looks like its in a transe .     

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Just now, Butero said:

I suggest everyone do a search on history of Hermeneutics.  Let each man and woman see for themselves.  

Well now I have to google stuff. :read:

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

I'm thinking enoob may want to change the title of the thread.  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,790
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

31 minutes ago, Butero said:

They had better sense back then than to see the need to create a complicated list of rules of interpretation.  I am not disputing the existence of written communication.  What we should be asking is how they got by all those years without Hermeneutics, but they did!  

That was the point of what I was making they didn't get by without it as written language is based on grammatical rules: nouns, verbs, subjects, predicates, direct objects, indirect objects, participles etc....

I am not disputing the existence of written communication.

in a way you are by deny principles themselves that make up written communication.... contextual literary analysis has been in operation since written language began or else there would be no way to decipher it... You use all of this in reading and writing and denying it at the same time :noidea: 

20 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

I'm thinking enoob may want to change the title of the thread.  :rolleyes:

No I don't give much attention to superstition or folklore :) 

Below quoted material:

Hermeneutics

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

"Philosophical hermeneutics" redirects here. For other uses, see Hermeneutics (disambiguation). For the history of hermeneutics, see History of hermeneutics.

Hermeneutics (/ˌhɜːrməˈnjuːtɪks/)[1] is the theory and methodology of interpretation,[2][3] especially the interpretation of biblical texts, wisdom literature, and philosophical texts.[4][5]

Modern hermeneutics includes both verbal and non-verbal communication[6][7] as well as semiotics, presuppositions, and pre-understandings. Hermeneutics has been broadly applied in the humanities, especially in law, history and theology.

Hermeneutics was initially applied to the interpretation, or exegesis, of scripture, and has been later broadened to questions of general interpretation.[8] The terms hermeneutics and exegesis are sometimes used interchangeably. Hermeneutics is a wider discipline which includes written, verbal, and non-verbal[6][7] communication. Exegesis focuses primarily upon the word and grammar of texts.

Hermeneutic, as a count noun in the singular, refers to some particular method of interpretation (see, in contrast, double hermeneutic).

Etymology[edit]

Hermeneutics is derived from the Greek word ἑρμηνεύω (hermeneuō, "translate, interpret"),[9] from ἑρμηνεύς (hermeneus, "translator, interpreter"), of uncertain etymology (R. S. P. Beekes (2009) suggests a Pre-Greek origin).[10] The technical term ἑρμηνεία (hermeneia, "interpretation, explanation") was introduced into philosophy mainly through the title of Aristotle's work Περὶ Ἑρμηνείας ("Peri Hermeneias"), commonly referred to by its Latin title De Interpretatione and translated in English as On Interpretation. It is one of the earliest (c. 360 B.C.) extant philosophical works in the Western tradition to deal with the relationship between language and logic in a comprehensive, explicit and formal way.

The early usage of "hermeneutics" places it within the boundaries of the sacred.[11] A divine message must be received with implicit uncertainty regarding its truth. This ambiguity is an irrationality; it is a sort of madness that is inflicted upon the receiver of the message. Only one who possesses a rational method of interpretation (i.e., a hermeneutic) could determine the truth or falsity of the message.[12]

Folk etymology[edit]

Hermes, messenger of the gods.

Folk etymology places its origin with Hermes, the mythological Greek deity who was the 'messenger of the gods'.[13] Besides being a mediator between the gods and between the gods and men, he led souls to the underworld upon death.

Hermes was also considered to be the inventor of language and speech, an interpreter, a liar, a thief and a trickster.[13] These multiple roles made Hermes an ideal representative figure for hermeneutics. As Socrates noted, words have the power to reveal or conceal and can deliver messages in an ambiguous way.[13] The Greek view of language as consisting of signs that could lead to truth or to falsehood was the essence of Hermes, who was said to relish the uneasiness of those who received the messages he delivered.

1zz.jpg.10b6f8085a9e15338b879c1be433ecd5.jpg

1z.jpg.ce6f23249ae798a574542b8f4a64497b.jpg

Let Scholarship be reduced to folklore and will just forget the 'study to show yourself approved' and what everyone thinks or feels will be the rules ….

Guest shiloh357
54 minutes ago, Butero said:

The problem is that you think that the term   "Hermeneutics" and the process of literary analysis came into being at the same time.  

Every language from time immemorial had a grammar system, a idioms, syntax, cultural references, figures of speech, plays on word and they all poetry, law, prophecy, proverbs, historical narratives, everything that any modern language has.    So even before we called it "hermeneutics" the process of interpretation and literary analysis has always existed. 

The problem for you is that hermeneutics robs you of control.   You're very domineering and controlling and you demand it be your way or the highway.   Anything that robs you of power or control, you seek to denigrate.

1 hour ago, Butero said:

No it is not.  The history of Hermeneutics can be found at Wikepedia, and I would imagine many other  places as well.  I suppose next you will claim Moses came up with those rules and diagrams?  

God instructed to use written communication unto Moses thus we have the Pentateuch... written communication is a literary aspect bound by rules to decipher intent of writing and it is objective in format by those rules... much of the charismatic influenced people of today disregard this particular aspect of God's written communication and transfer it into I have read it and my heart says, which is to be taken by all else is the communication from The Holy Spirit, and this becomes an untestable subjective extravaganza of self authorized dribble... 

Edited by enoob57