• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/17/1958

How many have the contention that Amos 8:11-12 had already been fulfilled?

Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord: 8:12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

Did the word of God actually disappear? Just curious on your thoughts. Not what Doctor so and so had to say on the matter.

Has this one got you scratching your heads?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

this isn't a chat room, people are not on here all the time       give it a day or so to collect posts.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

I have lived WA state for over 70 years and will only go to a church that has good Bible teaching.  Pastor normally teaches a through a book and sometimes takes months to a year or more to study it, depending on the length of the book.   Therefore I don't see this going on here.  But years ago I had been in a couple of mainline protestant churches that had pastors who weren't saved, so they didn't preach the word.  Their uninspired sermons were boring.   Another loved the Lord but simply couldn't preach or teach.  He was called by God into the ministry but probably was gifted for other areas of service.

Some people need milk, and others need meat.  Those that need milk should have an inspiring devotion as well as a grounding in the basics of Christianity.  Who God is, the inspiration of Scriptures, Sin and the fall of man,, 10 commandments and the law of love ,Who Jesus is- the I Am & the God-Man,  blood sacrifices and the giving of Christ for our sin, His resurrection and exaltation, The Holy Spirit--the Person, the work of the Holy Spirit, forgiveness and justification, Baptism, the Lord's Supper, Prayer, our purpose here on earth, and End Times.

Three churches that I have attended over many years in this area have been good Bible teaching churches.  I don't see people going in search of one.  More often they have itching ears for the feel good messages or go to see a side show of the "latest move of the Holy Spirit".  The genuine churches are ministering to each other quietly, praying for the sick, helping the sick with practical needs like food, visiting the hospices, becoming big brothers to foster kids, having home Bible studies, encouraging the disheartened, giving to the poor, going on missions, and interceding for each other praying at all times in the Spirit.  

People on the east coast of the US are more apt to complain of not finding a good evangelical bible teaching church.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just getting used to the format of the board. Thank you other one!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, S.C.1 said:

Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord: 8:12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

Did the word of God actually disappear? Just curious on your thoughts. Not what Doctor so and so had to say on the matter.

I wouldn't say for certain that this is a simple yes or no question, many fulfilled prophecies have a way of repeating themselves at various times in history.  This particular prophecy is generally accepted as fulfilled from the time of the last prophet of the Old Testament until John the Baptist came forward nearly 400 years later.

God bless

• Brilliant! 1

2 hours ago, wingnut- said:

I wouldn't say for certain that this is a simple yes or no question, many fulfilled prophecies have a way of repeating themselves at various times in history.  This particular prophecy is generally accepted as fulfilled from the time of the last prophet of the Old Testament until John the Baptist came forward nearly 400 years later.

God bless

I also don't believe there is any certainty to it myself. So often, if not most times, I look at the prophecy in a literal context. If so, then the words of the Lord did not disappear at the time of Amos, nor in the O.T. and N.T. gap. Not even in the slightest. The words of the Lord have endured, even up to today. So then humor me if you will. What would be the fulfillment of this prophecy in the literal sense.

If you talked to the Fundamentalist Baptist, he would blame the new English versions because he believes that the KJV is the Word of God. If you talked to the many New Version advocates, they would say it's the willy nilly versions that just say what a particular group wants them to say that would cause this.  And I have no idea what the willy nilly camp would say.

Then you have the Mandela Effect guys who are saying that even now, the words of the Lord are being changed right before our eyes, and many are too blind to even see it, and if they do see it, refuse to acknowledge it. I posted somewhere on the forum that "the truth shall set you free" as I remember it to say. But if you read the text (John 8:32 in the kjv), it says, "the truth shall make you free".

Would this be the strong delusion spoken of in the scriptures, or Amos 8:11-12 coming to fruition? This is the thing I mentioned in the welcome area that I had come to study.

7 hours ago, S.C.1 said:

Scriptural perceptions for one. Scriptural memory for another.

It's a worthy study, wouldn't you agree?

Edited by S.C.1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, S.C.1 said:

During the time of Elisha, one of the sons of the prophets found some wild gourds during a time of famine. He put them in the pot and when they started to eat they cried out, "There's death in the pot" Elisha said, "Pour in the grain."  A type of the word of God. One way to look at this is when false doctrine or bad teaching gets into the church, and it's a good church, a good pot so to speak, we fix bad doctrine with good doctrine.  

One thing Amos is telling us is there is such a thing as a famine for the hearing of the word of the Lord. Jerimiah wore a brand new belt, buried it in the Euphrates, went back later to get it and wore it around again. It was a sign to the people that they have rendered the words of God useless. Not that the word of God is useless but the people have rendered it useless.                  

When we recognize the amount of false teaching, deception in the church and how many church organizations don't study scripture or realize its importance in our discipleship and life as a believer we not only have rendered the word of God useless we have created a famine. And as the saying goes, "In a famine people will eat anything." And brother there is plenty of aged unclean road kill on the barbecue these days.                                  

I liken this scripture to the ten virgins, there comes a time when it is too late. The warnings have gone out, the signs have all been being fulfilled and the clock strikes midnight, The word of God doesn't disappear, it's being fulfilled but I believe if we render the word of the Lord useless in our lives there comes a time when God causes it to be useless in our lives. Gods' Spirit will not always strive with man.                

This is a warning and I believe it was fulfilled and is being fulfilled partially as a spiritual principle but also there will be a future fulfilment. It may have something to do with the delusion that Paul speaks of in 2Thess. but that's just conjecture.                                                                                                                                                             

• Brilliant! 1

5 minutes ago, Zemke said:

but that's just conjecture.

And there is so much conjecture as to what is fulfilled or unfulfilled prophecy.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

8 minutes ago, S.C.1 said:

And there is so much conjecture as to what is fulfilled or unfulfilled prophecy.

Well yes but prophecy is not just prediction and fulfilment, which it is, but a pattern. The Abomination spoke of by the prophet Daniel was fulfilled during the time of the greeks but Jesus spoke of it as future and was again fulfilled in 70ad, but there have been numerous abominations over the years but one could say ordaining homosexuals as clergy is an abomination in the temple of God today. But we await a future fulfilment with the son of perdition as the fullness and final fulfilment. The Abomination that makes desolate.

Edited by Zemke