Sign in to follow this  
Willa

Describe your first apartment

Our first apartment cost $40. per month!  My how things have changed!   We didn't have as high expectations as some have now, though.  It was in a nice/safe area of town.  However, in those days we didn't always lock our doors, either.  It was on the second floor and was pretty small, having been converted to an apartment during the depression.  There was a balcony, a large bathroom with a super sized tub on clawed feet.  It had a dinette and a micro kitchen.  That is to say, if the oven door was open I couldn't get inside the kitchen.  If the refrigerator door was open I couldn't get in.  And it was impossible to have both doors open at the same time.   The living room had a furnished couch and chair.  But the bed pulled out of the closet like a giant drawer, and if it was out, we couldn't walk around to the other side because the couch was in the way.  It was an apartment with tons of uniqueness.

• This is Worthy 1

@Willa :) Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Good topic. :thumbsup:

Amen. Things have definitely changed. Miss those simpler, safer times.

I once had an apartment with one of those old-fashioned tubs with clawed feet. Loved that thing! 

Near a college. A yellow apartment complex. Very average. Many, many years go.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:49 PM, turtletwo said:

@Willa :) Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Good topic. :thumbsup:

Amen. Things have definitely changed. Miss those simpler, safer times.

I once had an apartment with one of those old-fashioned tubs with clawed feet. Loved that thing! 

Yah, they are so big and comfy.   Or maybe I was just smaller then.

• Loved it! 1

Our first apartment was two rooms and a bathroom in a complex of many apartments all alike., was hard to find my own sometimes. Cost $63 a month including utilities. That was ninety cents less than my car payment.

There were no overtime laws and we were "salaried". I was paid $325 a month to be on duty  most of the time (Funeral business). I had two Sundays a month off plus one and a half Saturdays. Gasoline was usually 25 cents a gallon. 

My first three bedroom two bath home cost only $24,600 brand new.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

Our second apartment was slightly worse than the first, but it was clean shelter. There were ten starkly plain buildings all in a row at this place, all alike no landscaping, no night lighting, all the same color, with two driveway  entries one at each end of the complex, and all parking was in one plain unmarked lot in the back, just one big lot with no reserved spaces. It was a miserably plain place atthe  Anaheim California of the early 1960's, back when the area still smelled of cows and orange Groves. 

We lived in the first apartment of building six from the east, the buildings themselves were not numbered nor lettered. One late night after pulling a 36 hour shift plus some extra hours into the night with no sleep I returned to our unit, missed the first driveway entry at the east, went in the second one to the west, and managed to count six buildings from the wrong end. I went to "our" apartment but the key didn't work. Tired, I banged on the door for my wife, it echoed down the space between the buildings late at night, but I got no answer. I banged some more till I heard, "hey idiot you live in the next building that unit is vacant." I had been banging on the door to the first unit of building six from the west. Oh my yes an idiot all right, and it is me.

Well yes I had,... but just one shot ( Well maybe a big one). We all had one in the back office at the end of the shift just to unwind after receiving a record for us 12 calls in one shift. We knew Monday was going to be a fierce day for all of us.

48 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Our second apartment was slightly worse than the first, but it was clean shelter. There were ten starkly plain buildings all in a row at this place, all alike no landscaping, no night lighting, all the same color, with two driveway  entries one at each end of the complex, and all parking was in one plain unmarked lot in the back, just one big lot with no reserved spaces. It was a miserably plain place atthe  Anaheim California of the early 1960's, back when the area still smelled of cows and orange Groves. 

We lived in the first apartment of building six from the east, the buildings themselves were not numbered nor lettered. One late night after pulling a 36 hour shift plus some extra hours into the night with no sleep I returned to our unit, missed the first driveway entry at the east, went in the second one to the west, and managed to count six buildings from the wrong end. I went to "our" apartment but the key didn't work. Tired, I banged on the door for my wife, it echoed down the space between the buildings late at night, but I got no answer. I banged some more till I heard, "hey idiot you live in the next building that unit is vacant." I had been banging on the door to the first unit of building six from the west. Oh my yes an idiot all right, and it is me.

Well yes I had,... but just one shot ( Well maybe a big one). We all had one in the back office at the end of the shift just to unwind after receiving a record for us 12 calls in one shift. We knew Monday was going to be a fierce day for all of us.

recently that happened in a neighboring town but the guy was really drunk, and he was shot to death by the occupant after he broke down the door.  Tragic. He also didn't speak English.   You are oh so lucky it was vacant.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Willa said:

recently that happened in a neighboring town but the guy was really drunk, and he was shot to death by the occupant after he broke down the door.  Tragic. He also didn't speak English.   You are oh so lucky it was vacant.  

Yep, blessed and also protected more than lucky. 

• Loved it! 1

Small.  We had to have our bed in the living room because the bedroom was too small for it.

Sign in to follow this