• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

Everybody, every single person who has ever lived on earth, has been offended. Not once, but many times. In some cases, many, many times.

Sometimes we may view an offense as being slight. At other times we may be offended and carry a resentment against another for the rest of our lives. Some people hardly seem to notice an offense, maybe because they do not understand its ramifications. Others seem to be able to bear the meanest of personal attacks. Though undoubtedly very hurt, they quickly recover and can continue without resentment toward the offender.

So serious is the subject that Jesus pronounces a solemn "woe" against those "by whom the offense comes" (Matthew 18:7). "It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea" (verse 6).

The apostles also weigh in on the subject. Paul writes about how he strives to avoid giving offense: "If food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble" (I Corinthians 8:13). Offense can lead to bitterness and hatred. John states in I John 3:15, "Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him." If we allow it to go this far without repentance, offense can have eternal consequences. It is serious business!

When we experience abuse from others, our natural response is to strike back. Pride prompts us to return hurt for hurt and insult for insult. However, God instructs us to love our enemies“Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you” (Matthew 5:43-44; see also Luke 6:27-29).

When Scripture speaks of blessing those who curse us, this cursing can include insults, reproaches, and verbal offenses of all kinds. Many people struggle for weeks, months, or even years as a result of wounds caused by curses.

2 CORINTHIANS 12-10

For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Even though we know what Jesus has to said about this matter...Why do so many Christians allow themselves to be offended?? 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, LivingbyFaith said:

Even though we know what Jesus has to said about this matter...Why do so many Christians allow themselves to be offended?? 

I think we need to distinguish different general types of offense.

The first is when we are directly and actually hurt, injured, or wronged by someone.  Something is inflicted on us.  In this case, very real physical, emotional, and spiritual pain is the result.   In this case, anger and offense is a symptom of our reaction to the injury, wound, and pain.  This is a part of evil and sin in the world that affects us all.  Ultimately, forgiveness is needed here.  (Noting too that actual restoration and reconciliation might not always be possible.  Some people don't change and remain dangers to us and others.)   We all at times hurt others ourselves.  God's way is forgiveness and healing of the injury.  Depending on the person and situation, this can be a quick decision and change, or it can be a process that takes a long time depending on the depth of the injury and how much healing is needed.  My sense is that most Christians are aware of things like this and do work on it.

The second is when in our arrogance and pride we become angry and frustrated at someone for who they are, what they do, what they think, what they say, etc. whether they actually did anything to us or not.   This type of anger is rooted in pride, impatience, arrogance, ignorance, and blindness to the sin-nature inside of us.  This type of offense is self-inflicted and self-caused because the reason for the offense is inside of us.  We are often blind to it because we attribute it to good motives.   God's way in this case is a change inside of us to see and treat others differently.  Some Christians can go for a long time being angry, frustrated, and condescending toward particular people and groups because they think it is the right thing to do and don't see a need for change.

Of course, sometimes the two can be mixed together.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

27 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I think we need to distinguish different general types of offense.

The first is when we are directly and actually hurt, injured, or wronged by someone.  Something is inflicted on us.  In this case, very real physical, emotional, and spiritual pain is the result.   In this case, anger and offense is a symptom of our reaction to the injury, wound, and pain.  This is a part of evil and sin in the world that affects us all.  Ultimately, forgiveness is needed here.  (Noting too that actual restoration and reconciliation might not always be possible.  Some people don't change and remain dangers to us and others.)   We all at times hurt others ourselves.  God's way is forgiveness and healing of the injury.  Depending on the person and situation, this can be a quick decision and change, or it can be a process that takes a long time depending on the depth of the injury and how much healing is needed.  My sense is that most Christians are aware of things like this and do work on it.

The second is when in our arrogance and pride we become angry and frustrated at someone for who they are, what they do, what they think, what they say, etc. whether they actually did anything to us or not.   This type of anger is rooted in pride, impatience, arrogance, ignorance, and blindness to the sin-nature inside of us.  This type of offense is self-inflicted and self-caused because the reason for the offense is inside of us.  We are often blind to it because we attribute it to good motives.   God's way in this case is a change inside of us to see and treat others differently.  Some Christians can go for a long time being angry, frustrated, and condescending toward particular people and groups because they think it is the right thing to do and don't see a need for change.

Of course, sometimes the two can be mixed together.

Thanks GandalfTheWise, this is so true, I believe you hit the nail on the head!  I was wondering if anyone would come up with this response.  I also believe there is another type of offense...and that is, when a Christian is living in sin and they are corrected or they have their sin pointed out to them in the nicest of ways, they can be deeply offended, as they don't want to hear that what they're doing is sin, even though it states it clearly in the Bible.  This can cause divisions between Christians, usually because the one that is in sin, doesn't want to repent from their sin, nor be corrected.

Thanks bro, God bless!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  06/28/1980

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Pride. 

Because of emotions

• Loved it! 1

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Nothing wrong with emotions, it's more due to lack of maturity (growth in the Lord).

odd

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

2 hours ago, LivingbyFaith said:

Thanks GandalfTheWise, this is so true, I believe you hit the nail on the head!  I was wondering if anyone would come up with this response.  I also believe there is another type of offense...and that is, when a Christian is living in sin and they are corrected or they have their sin pointed out to them in the nicest of ways, they can be deeply offended, as they don't want to hear that what they're doing is sin, even though it states it clearly in the Bible.  This can cause divisions between Christians, usually because the one that is in sin, doesn't want to repent from their sin, nor be corrected.

Thanks bro, God bless!

There have been a few things that I really didn't like God pointing out my error in my attitude because I really felt justified in my anger.  So I pouted about it and grumbled for  a day or so.  Then my husband told me the same thing!  It was bad enough when God told me, but when my husband told me as well I had to argue a little bit before I repented.  All the time I knew I would have to change, apologize or do whatever was necessary. I just didn't like it.

• Loved it! 1

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Why?

Here's a example today I want to my parents house it seems like new experience but the same my mom and my father Olney recognize me I did not notice anything different why'd you kids often need to impress the family and such I know that sounds weird anyways

19 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I guess God shows you more mercy,  He has my wife go first. LOL

Christ as always proven that love is more powerful then anything  else

Edited by JustJoe1980

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

4 hours ago, Yowm said:

Nothing wrong with emotions, it's more due to lack of maturity (growth in the Lord).

I was going to say something like this. As we mature in the Lord we get offended less and less. I know unsaved man who gets offended over almost anything. I almost can't talk to him. I always forget that 1 wrong word angers him and he also takes revenge. Even when I was unsaved I was never like that. Spiritual maturity doesn't come quickly nor easily but if you're truly saved it will happen. It's worth the effort and the wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06

gee these days i am didnt used to be as bad as this dunno if its in large part to a bereavement 22 months ago. trying to get on top of it but i just dont seem to be able to