Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

There is a funny video of a california mountain lion in a garage that got chased off by 2 chihuahuas.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Debp said:

Yes, poisoning is certainly not a solution.   Where my friend lives, even though in a city, she gets deer, rabbits, Bobcat, perhaps a few stray cats.   She hasn't seen Racoons yet but another friend South of this friend has Racoons visit nightly.

One Christmas our friends took us around to see Christmas lights.   We saw a coyote in a park..... about 20 feet away from the coyote were a few guys enjoying chatting at a picnic table in the dark.    They had no idea there was a coyote nearby.... probably there were others in the shadows.

Some years back a family was having a picnic in a public area at our Griffith Park.   A coyote came out and started to drag their young child away!    The child wasn't injured but it was surprising it happened in the daytime.

My, my, my! I didn't even mention it and you guessed it!

Another alternate that I believe would work, is maintaining constant presence and contact with small children and pets, especially at night. I believe there's only one or two recorded cases where coyote "packs" attacked and killed an adult human; and they were found to be coyote / wolf hybrids. I don't believe cities / urban areas have a 'pack' problem, but individuals foraging. I think it would be out of the animals nature (unless rabid) to attack something much bigger than they. 

Of course my opinions are based on what I've read and all the coyotes around here. I have to admit though, when I take the dog out to do her business at night, I would miss all the howls, barks and yapings. Just like the skunks, raccoons, opossums and turkey vultures around here, they perform a valuable service many do not take into consideration.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

On 11/5/2018 at 4:19 PM, Debp said:

Here in L.A., some city areas have a coyote problem.   They were in my friend's yard at night, and had a live, small dog in one of their mouths!    My friend tried to scare them hoping they would drop the dog....but they ran off with it!

I hope she will get some information from her city on what they can use to defend themselves.  They have a small dog.

Anyone here have a coyote problem or have any ideas?   I thought of stun gun stick (not sure they are legal), maybe pepper spray?

I live rural, and coyotes are common in my area, and they can be a problem occasionally.  I feel for those in the city.  In my neck of the woods, that is why we own firearms.   Was talking with my wife the other night when we had quite a few of them around our place talking up a storm, that I may look into getting a infrared rifle scope and mount it and I can get up one of the several buildings on our property and take a few shots.  Shotgun with #4 buckshot the most likely option.  Probably will get a electric calling device to draw them in closer.    

But no one is going to get close enough to use a cattle prod or pepper spray.  If they think they can, they do not know anything about coyotes.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

16 hours ago, OldCoot said:

I live rural, and coyotes are common in my area, and they can be a problem occasionally.  I feel for those in the city.  In my neck of the woods, that is why we own firearms.   Was talking with my wife the other night when we had quite a few of them around our place talking up a storm, that I may look into getting a infrared rifle scope and mount it and I can get up one of the several buildings on our property and take a few shots.  Shotgun with #4 buckshot the most likely option.  Probably will get a electric calling device to draw them in closer.    

But no one is going to get close enough to use a cattle prod or pepper spray.  If they think they can, they do not know anything about coyotes.

Our coyotes are more confident about approaching humans.   One man and his dog were surrounded by about four coyotes....he had to run into his home.

My friend's daughter....she could hear the Coyote's feet on the pavement behind her!!!   She is small so even if she would have turned to face him, I don't know if she could have scared him off.    I told her mom she needs to makes alot of noise, scream, make herself big, etc....but this was after I heard about the incident.

So if my friend's daughter had a stun gun stick or pepper spray, the Coyote was near enough to her.   She was blessed to have that man suddenly appear on her dark, deserted street and scare the Coyote off.  Her dog was old and had heart trouble so couldn't do anything.

Then I would suggest Bear Repellent.  It is stronger and shoots a farther, more direct spray.  It’s either that or start packing heat.  

Then all the neighbors show up to city hall with pitchforks and torches and demand your hired help take care of the problem or find another job.

Edited by OldCoot
  • Brilliant! 1

7 minutes ago, OldCoot said:

Then I would suggest Bear Repellent.  It is stronger and shoots a farther, more direct spray.  It’s either that or start packing heat.  

Then all the neighbors show up to city hall with pitchforks and torches and demand you hired help take care of the problem or find another job.

I was wondering about bear repellent, thanks, I'll mention that to my friend.    Is it very hard to press down to get the spray to work?  My friend's young adult daughter has small hands.   They have a piddle pad for their new little dog to use at night.   Also, their back yard has very tall walls and fences so maybe the Coyotes can't hop them?   They wouldn't leave their dog out alone though, just let him wee wee.

There are different size cans of the stuff and some have a trigger type of application.   Check the major outdoor sports places or gun shops.  You can find it online, but state laws may prohibit shipping.

if one uses this stuff on a predator like a coyote (or even a two legged predator), it will definitely ruin their day.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, Debp said:

I was wondering about bear repellent, thanks, I'll mention that to my friend.    Is it very hard to press down to get the spray to work?  My friend's young adult daughter has small hands.   They have a piddle pad for their new little dog to use at night.   Also, their back yard has very tall walls and fences so maybe the Coyotes can't hop them?   They wouldn't leave their dog out alone though, just let him wee wee.

I have seen coyotes climb trees.

5 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

I have seen coyotes climb trees.

Oh well.....guess the tall walls, fences aren't a help.   I'll tell my friend.   I already told her to keep her wood and French doors shut as they will come into the home if they see her little dog.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the major natural enemy of the coyote is the mountain lion.....    you can get mountain lion Pee on Amazon.com.....   spray it around your fence and it may well keep the coyotes away.