• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

I'm interested in how Christians discipline their children?

I have one child (a son) who is now 19 years of age.  He was 5 years of age when I became a Christian.  My parents used strict disciplinary measures on me and my other siblings, throughout all our childhood years and although I don't agree with how they punished us in so many ways, I still always believed that a "good spanking" when needed, isn't going to kill a child, but rather, do good for that child, then AND in the long run! My parent's disciplinary actions "didn't kill me" and I am actually grateful that they cared enough for us to take us through it.  I was never in trouble by the law or in any school I attended.  I wasn't perfect, but when I did fall out of line, I would always know what to expect!   

The bible says;

Hebrews 12:11

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Proverbs 23:13-15

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol. My son, if your heart is wise, my heart too will be glad.

Proverbs 29:17

Discipline your son, and he will give you rest; he will give delight to your heart.

Proverbs 22:15

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him.

Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

God bless!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,274
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I guess it also depends on the child....some children aren't rebellious and you can just explain to them about why not to do a certain thing.   Other children that just won't listen, maybe a couple of slaps on the butt helps.    I don't believe in getting too harsh with a child.   I had friends whose mother had a leather belt or wooden paddle for them....I don't know if that fear really helped them, they were girls, btw.

My mom always explained stuff to me.   I only remember getting one slap on the butt from her in my childhood.    And she used her hand...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I absolutely agree that it depends on the child. How old is the child? and what sort of offense has he/she done? We can find examples of proper discipline in the bible. Don't believe people like "Doctor" Phil who says that it's NEVER right to discipline your child physically. Ummm . . . that's NOT what the Word of God says! Now I'd take God's Truth over some psychologist any day! The more the men of God were aware of moral absolutes; the greater the discipline they received from God. King David was a man after "God's own heart" -- which meant that he had no "excuse" for sinning against the LORD when He knew full well that he should not have. So for him, he would face greater chastisement from the LORD (cf. 2 Sam. 11).

Our child must first be aware that the chastisement is done out of "Love and Concern" to keep him/her out of future danger and its consequences (cf. 2 Sam. 7:14; Job 5:17; Ps. 94:12; Hos. 10:10; Jer. 31:18-20; Heb. 12:5-11; et al.). Also, discipline does not always have to be physical; it can take the form of a long lecture about what the tolls disobedience can lead to. Exercising discernment on what "type" of discipline is necessary, and when it should be done would have to rely on the one doing the chastising. So if you're dealing with a rebellious child who has a habit of skipping school on occasion . . . the method of discipline would vary depending on the age of the child, and how many times he/she has been told NOT to do so. Just my two cents! :)

In Christ, *Pumpkin*

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

It must depend on the parent and the child. I never had to spank my daughter. My son. Oh my son. I spanked him only once. With a wooden spoon. He never defied me again. He now is studying to be a preacher of the Lord. He wants to, not me. I think God leads his saints. Even if they are frail and incompetent, it’s obvious to everyone they are strong. Lean on God every day and you can’t fail. 

• Thumbs Up 1