Faithbuilders

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

I discovered a neat book addressing this issue, and I believe it was this forum where I found out about it.

The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion,     by Tim Challies  Pastor at Grace Fellowship Church in Toronto.
You can get it on EBay, used,  for under four bucks, free shipping. Have read only half so far, scary, and very informative.

Excerpt...by Tim Challies
"Even the least technical among us are being pressed from all sides by advances in digital technology. We rely upon computers, cell phones, and the Internet for communication, commerce, and entertainment. Yet even though we live in this “instant message” culture, many of us feel disconnected, and we question if all this technology is really good for our souls. In a manner that’s accessible, thoughtful, and biblical, author Tim Challies addresses questions such as: • How has life—and faith—changed now that everyone is available all the time through mobile phones? • How does our constant connection to these digital devices affect our families and our church communities? • What does it mean that almost two billion humans are connected by the Internet ... with hundreds of millions more coming online each year? Providing the reader with a framework they can apply to any technology, Tim Challies explains how and why our society has become reliant on digital technology, what it means for our lives, and how it impacts the Christian faith".

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

42 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

I discovered a neat book addressing this issue, and I believe it was this forum where I found out about it.

The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion,     by Tim Challies  Pastor at Grace Fellowship Church in Toronto.
You can get it on EBay, used,  for under four bucks, free shipping. Have read only half so far, scary, and very informative.

Excerpt...by Tim Challies
"Even the least technical among us are being pressed from all sides by advances in digital technology. We rely upon computers, cell phones, and the Internet for communication, commerce, and entertainment. Yet even though we live in this “instant message” culture, many of us feel disconnected, and we question if all this technology is really good for our souls. In a manner that’s accessible, thoughtful, and biblical, author Tim Challies addresses questions such as: • How has life—and faith—changed now that everyone is available all the time through mobile phones? • How does our constant connection to these digital devices affect our families and our church communities? • What does it mean that almost two billion humans are connected by the Internet ... with hundreds of millions more coming online each year? Providing the reader with a framework they can apply to any technology, Tim Challies explains how and why our society has become reliant on digital technology, what it means for our lives, and how it impacts the Christian faith".

One of the reasons I still go to recovery meetings (even though Jesus sobered me up year ago) is the fellowship. People talking face to face - and my friends and I get to share the gospel. That is something that's gotten surprisingly rare today. Its hard to just talk to someone on the street or the bus (unless they're bumming money, cigs, etc. and it didn't use to be that way. It can be just as bad in a lot of churches too: Heard 'em for an hour, then heard 'em out to make room for the next bunch is the norm in many churches in my area today. No one has time for fellowship any more.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, walla299 said:

One of the reasons I still go to recovery meetings (even though Jesus sobered me up year ago) is the fellowship. People talking face to face - and my friends and I get to share the gospel. That is something that's gotten surprisingly rare today. Its hard to just talk to someone on the street or the bus (unless they're bumming money, cigs, etc. and it didn't use to be that way. It can be just as bad in a lot of churches too: Heard 'em for an hour, then heard 'em out to make room for the next bunch is the norm in many churches in my area today. No one has time for fellowship any more.

You are sorta giving away your age, walla.  Yeah, there sure has been major changes in the world, especially the last 10-20 years. My first old brick/bag phone would not fit in any pocket, and my latest tiny one gets lost in my tee shirt pocket. My wife and I on our Friday night date nights have been noticing the cell phone usage while eating out in family resturants. Scary. Everybody. Texting. The people would be better off eating a liquid meal through a straw, or tube, so they won't interrupt their conversation, if texting is considered having a conversation. I've heard that with pregnant mothers always texting so much, some babies are being born now with two thumbs on each hand. Yea, just kidding.........default_cool2.gif.0a77f608505ac93617548969c7294577.gif
I guess we're from the old analog generation, vacuum tubes and telephone poles. I know my forty megabyte hard drive brain memory doesn't cut it any more in this terabyte/exbibyte generation.

According to an International Data Corporation paper sponsored by EMC Corporation (now Dell EMC), 161 exabytes of data were created in 2006, "3 million times the amount of information contained in all the books ever written", with the number expected to hit 988 exabytes in 201

But not even close to what God can do;   One gram of DNA can theoretically hold 455 exabytes 

DNA content of a typical human cell is about 60 grams

Genes are composed of DNA, and it is predicted that there are over 3 billion basepairs in the human genome. Humans have approximately 10 trillion cells, so if you were to line all of the DNA found in every cell of a human body it would stretch from the earth to the sun 100 times!

And this is just a scratch of what God has showed us.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, walla299 said:

your fellowship really helps the others as they see you have worked through the problem from what I have seen in other groups too...

We have many meals a month at Church where we all just sit around and talk....    Sundays after church services when we can think of any reason to do so and every Wednesday night before services.   And Sundays when we don't eat a church several of us go out to different restaurants for lunch and talk.    and some of us do meet on FactBook to add a bit of cyber talk to the mix.