Sin

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I asked this question once before or very similar and I want to get advice again. I was raised to believe in the Church of God they believe when the scripture talks about backsliding in Romans that means you can lose your salvation. That salvation is a choice given freely and God won't take it away but that you can walk away from it and lose your salvation. I then switched to Baptist were they believe you ask God to forgive you it can never be taken away but at the same time I found by speaking with them they feel if you really are seeking Christ and following after him the desire to sin should not be there buy that you won't lose it if you do sin. I guess my question is this why does it seem we put a measure to sin when God doesn't he sees them all the same in His eyes. So why is it some seem ok but others are not. I am a little confused where I stand I feel that if someone anyone believes and accepts that once he or she is forgiven then they are saved. I guess where I am going with this is there is a sin that seems worse than others but in Gods, sin is a sin. Does anyone out there believe that if a person is a homosexual that they can go to heaven when they die if they have asked God to forgive them for there sin? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

There's a whole lot there and I don't think I could perfectly unpack it all, but here are a few thoughts.

1. I think it's possible to believe you're saved and not be. I think too often a lot of churches (I grew up in Baptist churches and it's a problem there IMO) are focused on "alter calls," where the pastor preaches whatever message and then calls people to come forward and repent and ask for salvation. But unless it's a very thorough message on salvation, do these people really know what it means and entails? I said a prayer for forgiveness and salvation when I was a child, but I didn't really understand what it all meant. But I thought that was it; you recite the words and boom, you're saved. But I and a lot of people felt like that and so, as you might expect, there was little change in my heart and life. It wasn't until a few years ago that I heard really good teaching on salvation that struck me and turned me around. It's not just about reciting the right words. God knows your heart. He knows if you're truly penitent and are truly ready to make a change and follow Him and His will. A true salvation is one that will without exception create a noticeable inward and outward change in a person. That does not mean perfection, but I am curious about people who "walk away from the faith." Were they truly, truly saved in the first place? I know some will disagree with that and I would not be dogmatic about it, because I am not God and I cannot know people's hearts as He perfectly does.

2. About homosexuals, here is another area where there may be some disagreement. But after doing a lot of thinking and reading myself and purposefully seeking out teaching from well-respected pastors, I don't believe that homosexual urges, or desires or temptations or whatever word you might want to use, are sinful. We would not say that a man who is tempted towards adultery with a woman has sinned, or towards gluttony or whatever else, if he does not ultimately act on that temptation (be it in real life or in his heart/mind, which is of course possible as Jesus taught). If a man is attracted to another man but does not lust after him or physically act upon it, if he rejects those urges because he knows they are wrong and he wishes to do right in God's eyes, I cannot find any justification in scripture to condemn him as having sinned simply for being tempted in that way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Actually I don't think God Himself views all sins to be the same. It's one of the reasons why He gave us the 10 commandments.

To answer your 2nd question, most people I have talked to told the belief that the attraction itself isn't a sin, however if you act on that attraction then you are sinning. If you feel those types of attractions, and yet you refrain from acting on them your entire life, and you also remain a Christian, then I believe you will go to Heaven.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Sin separates us from God. 

Scripture teaches that there will be degrees of punishment in Hell as far as remorse and torment of the conscience is concerned (Matt. 10:15; 11:22; 12:41; 23:14; Mark 6:11; 12:40; Luke 10:14; 11:31, 32; 20:47).

These degrees of punishment will be because of the kind of sins committed by one that were not committed by another. No man will be punished or could have remorse over something he did not do. They will all regret rebelling against God and man and failing to believe in Jesus, and repenting of sin.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/15/2018 at 7:12 AM, Pencil24 said:

I asked this question once before or very similar and I want to get advice again. I was raised to believe in the Church of God they believe when the scripture talks about backsliding in Romans that means you can lose your salvation. That salvation is a choice given freely and God won't take it away but that you can walk away from it and lose your salvation. I then switched to Baptist were they believe you ask God to forgive you it can never be taken away but at the same time I found by speaking with them they feel if you really are seeking Christ and following after him the desire to sin should not be there buy that you won't lose it if you do sin. I guess my question is this why does it seem we put a measure to sin when God doesn't he sees them all the same in His eyes. So why is it some seem ok but others are not. I am a little confused where I stand I feel that if someone anyone believes and accepts that once he or she is forgiven then they are saved. I guess where I am going with this is there is a sin that seems worse than others but in Gods, sin is a sin. Does anyone out there believe that if a person is a homosexual that they can go to heaven when they die if they have asked God to forgive them for there sin? 

Jesus revealed that there was only 1 unforgivable sin.. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.. This was revealed in the following scriptures::

Mark 3: KJV

"22"¶ And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils. {23} And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan? {24} And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. {25} And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand. {26} And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end. {27} No man can enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house. {28} Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: {29} But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: {30} Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit."

Therefore the sin of homosexuality must be a forgivable sin for the one who has believed Jesus and trusts in the Atonement Jesus secured for their salvation..

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

On 11/15/2018 at 6:12 AM, Pencil24 said:

Does anyone know what heaven is? 

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

1Jn 5:16  Wuest  (16-21) If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which is not in its tendency towards death, he should ask, and He will give him life, to those who are sinning not with a tendency towards death. There is a sin which tends towards death. Not concerning that one do I say that he should ask. Every unrighteousness is sin. And there is a sin which does not tend towards death. We know absolutely that everyone who has been born of God and as a result is a regenerated individual does not keep on habitually sinning. But He who was born of God maintains a watchful guardianship over him, and the Pernicious One [evil one] does not lay hold of him.

The sin leading to death is ascribing to satan the work of the Holy Spirit to save heal and deliver people.  To harden one's heart to the saving work of Jesus on the cross also leads to death.  A person can continue to harden their hearts till they no longer even care.  To scorn God's loving work in a person's life to set him free and to ascribe it to satan takes a degree of hardness that is likely beyond reach.  

Here we are reminded that Jesus watches over and keeps all that the Father has given Him, protecting them from the evil one.  Some churches teach that we have to be saved again should we slip and fall.  We only need to be saved once and surrender to Christ as our Lord and King.  Should we sin unknowingly the blood of Christ cleanses us.  Should we give in to temptation and sin knowingly we need to confess it as in 1 John 1.   But a person who continues in habitual sin with no desire or intention to cease was likely never saved at all.  

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

Any homosexual that sees that he is a sinner and chooses to be saved In God’s proscribed manner— believing that Jesus shed His Blood to pay the price for those sins and also believes that Jesus rose from the dead will be saved. No different than a heterosexual.  1Cor15:1-4.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/07/1946

On 11/14/2018 at 11:12 PM, Pencil24 said:

Hi, You say:  "why does it seem we put a measure to sin when God doesn't he sees them all the same in His eyes." Did God tell you this?  I would not be sure about that even though most people are and ready to quote the Scripture. The point is that God is unsearchable. You can not corner God even with quotation from the Scripture. He is a living God and there are many instances in the Bible when He makes decisions. He is not a program and if He makes a sudden decision about human beings, who will be against it? I suppose that apart from punishment there will be billions of disappointments when people are judged.  You are more safe if you fearful. There is a notion of deadly sins and in some churches there is a gradation of sins. This is an open question. I only know that if you change churches you do not change things as they are in Heaven. I always reserve from saying anything for God Himself. As for salvation it is possible but it is not guaranteed whatever you are thinking about yourself. A person who is too sure may be punished for his pride.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, Pencil24 said:

I asked this question once before or very similar and I want to get advice again. I was raised to believe in the Church of God they believe when the scripture talks about backsliding in Romans that means you can lose your salvation. That salvation is a choice given freely and God won't take it away but that you can walk away from it and lose your salvation. I then switched to Baptist were they believe you ask God to forgive you it can never be taken away but at the same time I found by speaking with them they feel if you really are seeking Christ and following after him the desire to sin should not be there buy that you won't lose it if you do sin.

The comfort of the Scriptures:

James 2:10

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
KJ
V

You are correct in sin being sin... and the born again know that sin wars with our s/Spirit

John 3:6-7

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
KJV

John 6:63

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
KJV

Rom 8:5-14

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
KJV

I guess my question is this why does it seem we put a measure to sin when God doesn't he sees them all the same in His eyes. So why is it some seem ok but others are not. I am a little confused where I stand I feel that if someone anyone believes and accepts that once he or she is forgiven then they are saved.

We all are under this truth 

1 Cor 8:2-3

2 And if any man think that he knoweth anything, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
KJV

as we all grow and learn we are cast deeper into the Love of God and the fruit of The Spirit increases in us...

I guess where I am going with this is there is a sin that seems worse than others but in Gods, sin is a sin. Does anyone out there believe that if a person is a homosexual that they can go to heaven when they die if they have asked God to forgive them for there sin? 

all sin can be forgiven... but the practice of makes us a liar and the truth is not in us

1 John 2:2-6

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
KJV