IGNORED

Hymns

I just love them. I have a number of hymn books at home. I read hymns as prayer and inspiration. I look up about the writers as there are so many that had exceptionally interesting lives. 

Does anyone else have this interest? I am not very good at praying you see. Thiugh i pray daily. Hymn writers say it so much better! 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,458
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I just love them. I have a number of hymn books at home. I read hymns as prayer and inspiration. I look up about the writers as there are so many that had exceptionally interesting lives. 

Does anyone else have this interest? I am not very good at praying you see. Thiugh i pray daily. Hymn writers say it so much better! 

You too ?

Not an awful long time ago from the pulpit during a church sermon, our former Pastor relayed a story about a hymn and tied it into his message. Until that time I never paid attention or looked at the top of the hymnal song to see whom wrote it. Since then, when we're directed to turn to a certain page in out hymnals to sing, I always glance up and look at who wrote it. Sometimes I'm surprised to see who wrote it. 

I've been meaning to purchase a hymnal or borrow one from our church and go through it and research some of the history and lives of those who wrote it and how the hymn came about. I believe I've only done one so far, "It is Well", by Horacio Spafford, 1873. That's an interesting story!

By no means am I criticizing or condemning it; it's most likely my age and upbringing, but I don't care for this modern Christian music during Sunday worship services, with very loud volume with drum beats, etc. I've often wondered what worship music and instruments the Lord prefers to hear? I have an inkling the answer is found in the Psalms? 

I love many of the traditional hymns, some of them bring tears to my eyes singing them, such as "It is well". 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

I love traditional mainly. But there are some truly fine modern hymn writers such as Tim Dudley Smith. I don't like happy clappy. Thoughtful deep hymns based on scripture are my idea of praise. 

Hi Melinda

Fairest Lord Jesus...written 1677...author unknown--my favorite old hymn

Oh I just remembered another...

A Mighty Fortress is Our God

by Martin Luther !

AND The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Love this thread...wish there was room to post all the lyrics

Edited by In Him

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

You too ?

Not an awful long time ago from the pulpit during a church sermon, our former Pastor relayed a story about a hymn and tied it into his message. Until that time I never paid attention or looked at the top of the hymnal song to see whom wrote it. Since then, when we're directed to turn to a certain page in out hymnals to sing, I always glance up and look at who wrote it. Sometimes I'm surprised to see who wrote it. 

I've been meaning to purchase a hymnal or borrow one from our church and go through it and research some of the history and lives of those who wrote it and how the hymn came about. I believe I've only done one so far, "It is Well", by Horacio Spafford, 1873. That's an interesting story!

By no means am I criticizing or condemning it; it's most likely my age and upbringing, but I don't care for this modern Christian music during Sunday worship services, with very loud volume with drum beats, etc. I've often wondered what worship music and instruments the Lord prefers to hear? I have an inkling the answer is found in the Psalms? 

I love many of the traditional hymns, some of them bring tears to my eyes singing them, such as "It is well". 

There's so much more meaning in the older hymns,it's all glorifying the Lord ..

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, SelahSong said:

Hi, Melinda! :th_wave:

I love them, too. Here’s a favorite: Thank YOU, Jesus!

Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
T'was blind but now I see
T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear
And Grace, my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
Through many dangers, toils and snares
We have already come.
T'was grace that brought us safe thus far
And grace will lead us home,
And grace will lead us home
Amazing grace, Howe Sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found
T'was blind but now I see
Was blind, but now I see.

Amazing Grace is the most superb hymn. Look at who wrote it and why. It says it all for me kneeling in front of Christ. My soul awake for Him.  

How i wish those hymn singers of old could see how much their words are still appreciated and see how the power of their words can transform and illuminate the glory of God. 

I always notice authors of hymns as we sing at church. I jot them diwn then take a quick look on Google at home. I like knowing who they were. They live on each time we sing their work. 

Today i needed comfort. I read Rock of Ages and looked up the magnificent name of the writer. He had a brief but wonderfully productive life in Christ. The words he wrote are so powerful. I got the comfort i need, a comfort only Christ can bring. 

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

I love traditional mainly. But there are some truly fine modern hymn writers such as Tim Dudley Smith. I don't like happy clappy. Thoughtful deep hymns based on scripture are my idea of praise. 

One reason I love the hymns is because they are so full of good biblical theology and people learn from music than they do preaching.  70% of theology we learn in church comes from the hymns.  I learned that from an old church music professor many years ago. 

It's also wonderful to know that so many of our great hymns were not written by theological giants, but by ordinary people who suffered, who had tragedy in their lives.  "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" and "It is Well With My Soul" are two examples of hymns that came from great tragedy. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  1

Hi, I too like the old hymns, especially the ones listed here, however, I like some of the new praise songs too, Ps 22 tells us that today, in the Church, Jesus is the choir director and Father comes to listen to the songs we sing, I know Jesus only sings the songs He wrote Himself, ...with every Revival the Holy Spirit inspires/gives the music, ...from the Revival in Southern California during the late 60's early 70's there are alot of songs inspired from the Psalms, some of my favorites are, One Thing Have I Desired Ps. 27:4, You Are the Rock of my Salvation Ps 89:26, As the Deer Pants Ps 42:1,  Hear My Cry o'LORD  Ps 61:1-3,  Jesus, Allelujah...

Edited by JustPassingThru
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

'Tis the season . . . SOME Christmas Carols are similarly full of theology, and worthy of consideration, even if they do focus more on the birth of the Savior. However, you are all right, that nost of the older hymm are way better that a lot of the yippee I am a Christian song of modern time, but there are a lot of modern songs that are still quite good. If they have sound theology, and help you to praise and worship God, then they are good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2