• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,355
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

Happy after Thanksgiving to everyone that celebrated:

What does it mean to take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5)? Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

https://www.gotquestions.org/take-every-thought-captive.html

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,355
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

6 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

I understand it to mean that we need to learn to discipline our thoughts, rejecting anything not of God.

You are correct.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/06/1970

21 minutes ago, SelahSong said:

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare arenot [a]carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

We all have some negative thoughts which enter our minds at some point or another and so, although most people probably know what this means, how does one actually put this into practice?  How would somebody go about doing this, when negative thoughts keep entering their minds?

44 minutes ago, SelahSong said:

...and so, when our thoughts condemn us, we should focus our thoughts on Jesus' obedience at the Cross...and thank Him.

Hallelujah and Amen!  Thanks be to Jesus, our Lord and Savior!

Thanks so much SelahSong for explaining this to me and for many others who also did not understand this!  Thanks Sister.  Praise God!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, maryjayne said:

I understand it to mean that we need to learn to discipline our thoughts, rejecting anything not of God.

And with that....Romans 12:1-2 come to mind. ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,060
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is The Scriptures needful filling of our mind and ways... The Authority, The only Authority!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/20/1972

6 hours ago, LivingbyFaith said:

We all have some negative thoughts which enter our minds at some point or another and so, although most people probably know what this means, how does one actually put this into practice?  How would somebody go about doing this, when negative thoughts keep entering their minds?

I was always taught, "you can't stop a bird from flying overhead, but you can stop it from building a nest in your hair." That being said, continually fill up your mind with the word of God, and soon there will not be room for the bad thoughts. It does take time, but keep at it, and you will succeed. Also remember that the Bible says, to cast down the wrong thoughts, that is an action statement. Not just action but violent action.

• Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

31 minutes ago, Faithbuilders said:

I was always taught, "you can't stop a bird from flying overhead, but you can stop it from building a nest in your hair." That being said, continually fill up your mind with the word of God, and soon there will not be room for the bad thoughts. It does take time, but keep at it, and you will succeed. Also remember that the Bible says, to cast down the wrong thoughts, that is an action statement. Not just action but violent action.

Thanks Faithbuilders, will do as you suggested!  Thanks heaps! :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I personally agree with 'got questions' explanation. We also contend with lusts of the flesh and fiery darts thrown at us. 

It's complex, but I've often wondered, if Satan and his minions can read our thoughts? Evidently technology these days are about capable of reading our thoughts. Dark forces are much more knowledgeable and capable than our technology will ever be. 

Most of my research and questioning on this subject suggests that Satan can not read our thoughts directly, but can accurately predict our actions; as he probably knows us better than we know ourselves and human nature. It's my understanding the demonic world can tempt us through our senses (eyes, ears, sound and smell), in addition many believe they can implant thoughts (fiery darts). 

At any rate, that's why the Lord commands us to put on 'all' the armor of God, resist the devil and he will flee, and take our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ. The supernatural world is much more powerful than ourselves and we don't stand a chance of victory on our own. 

• Praise God! 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/20/1972

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

It's complex, but I've often wondered, if Satan and his minions can read our thoughts? Evidently technology these days are about capable of reading our thoughts. Dark forces are much more knowledgeable and capable than our technology will ever be. 

I was always taught that the devil could not read your mind; but I have never found any scripture to back that idea up, (perhaps I am missing something) I look at it this way; if the devil can put thoughts into our mind, why would he not be able to read them!