bryan

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Suppose you have a friend or acquaintance who had sworn off traditional churches.  Maybe they had really bad experiences with them when they grew up or such and they now view Christianity to blame for it.  What are some creative ways to introduce them to the lessons of Jesus and Christianity in general to show them how it 'should' work instead of what they experienced?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

First: Let me say that like many I have been mistreated badly enough over the year by some churches that I am amazed some times that I still want to go to church. That is not me. That would be the Lord's work in me.

Second: Pray for them that the Lord would soften their heart toward the local body of believers and that they would see and understand how things are supposed to work in it.

Third: Show them the passages in throughout the NT where believers are worshiping/serving together in a community. Paul's letters to the various churches are good here. Might be a good subject for a Bible study for yourself or a small group too.

Fourth: Continue to pray and let the Holy Spirit and the Word work on them. A believer's heart will change over time when they are taught the word of God.

I've seen this work many times over the years for folks who've sworn off of "church" for one reason or another. One that come to mind in particular is a young man who was raised in a crazy strict Pentacostal church and swore vehemently he'd never darken the door of a church again. The Lord had him back in church within 6 months, and he said the Spirit had really made him miserable until he went.  :laugh:  Funny how that works . . .  :)

• Loved it! 1