IGNORED

Is it biblical to cut contact with a fellow believer?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

The context is cutting all contact with a fellow Believer who fell into sin for a season. After having repented, that Believer is still cut out because the Believer/s who cut them off believe they are not fully right with God in other areas.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

3 minutes ago, r_ch_l said:

The context is cutting all contact with a fellow Believer who fell into sin for a season. After having repented, that Believer is still cut out because the Believer/s who cut them off believe they are not fully right with God in other areas.

I cannot advise wisely without more specifics:

1) Follow Matthew 18: a) go to the brother/sister who sinned against you b) if there is not repentance, bring along an un-involved second c) if repentance is still lacked/sin still indulged, go to the church elders for possible church discipline

2) NO ONE is fully right with God in ALL AREAS except Jesus Christ--more specifics are needed here to judge

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, r_ch_l said:

... believe they are not fully right with God in other areas.

Who is?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, r_ch_l said:

if it is as simple as you put it, I would think he needs to find a new group....    that's what I would do personally.

• Topic Count:  763
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,897
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, r_ch_l said:

What sin did he do ?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

15 hours ago, r_ch_l said:

It is definitely biblical to cut contact with professing Christians who are not walking in the Spirit, but giving themselves over to the flesh.

Gal 5:1
(1)  Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Gal 6:1
(1)  Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, you which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
1Co 5:7-13
(7)  Purge out therefore the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, as you are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
(8)  Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
(9)  I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
(10)  Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must you needs go out of the world.
(11)  But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
(12)  For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not you judge them that are within?
(13)  But them that are without God judges. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Thank you all for your replies.

I guess the main issue I have is no so much the cutting contact, because I do believe that can be biblical in the right circumstances. But the issue of not welcoming the believer back into fellowship again once they've repented of the sin they were cut off for.

I fell into sin for a season, for which I am thoroughly ashamed and will never condone. But the fact I have repented and am still cut off from my born-again sister (including her husband and kids who I adore, and have been there for all their lives until 7 months ago) and 2 other very important people in my life, has kept me in a place where it feels impossible to move forward and have faith I'm truly forgiven by God. It's only been recently I started picking up my bible again, because I've been feeling so much condemnation inside. To have already repented and be trying to continue my walk while remaining this tainted person who is not allowed to see or speak to them because of my past. It's so difficult and has been affecting me more than I think they know.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  533
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,397
  • Content Per Day:  4.99
  • Days Won:  206
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

pray for forgiveness for THEM   Remember what Christ said when he was asked how many times to forgive  so if they are unwilling to follow Christs own words it doesn't say much for their walk with God 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, r_ch_l said:

One of the great purposes of fellowship with brethren is the ongoing dispensing of spiritual gift-usage and the knowledge of having someone near and dear. We need access to each other's spiritual gifts and all they are in Christ. There are circumstances that require dis-fellowship and rejection but one who is not dead is still alive in Christ and needs Doctor Jesus being possessed by Christ in the other brethren to strengthen and support. The difference as to when the brethren overcomes their sin or not can all be had in the assistance of their brethren - no matter what shape their lives - spiritual and natural - are in.

As with Peter, Jesus said, "when you recover, strengthen the brethren."

And so on and on. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

5 minutes ago, PromisesPromises! said:

"He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor punished us according to our iniquities.  For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; as far a son the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us" (Psalm 103:10-12)

Hallelujah and praise the Lord!  You repented of your sin, and God holds it against you NO MORE!  ?  I am certain that many of your brothers and sisters in Christ are rejoicing with you.  Unfortunately, some others, who may be weaker, or who may have been hurt by your sin, cannot yet reach that level of forgiveness.  Just be patient and pray for them.  Perhaps God will restore the friendship in time, but perhaps He has other plans, other friends for you in mind.  Stay close to Him and you will find peace in this situation.  

God has never 'held sin of the Elect against them.'

Never. God is Immutable (does not change.) He contemplated His named-Elect as holy and sinless and that is the way He has ever seen us and them.

Always.