• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Received this email from my children's school today, looks like the war has finally arrived in our Australian Christian schools here in Australia. The opposition government wants to outlaw or "amend/reform" our Christian faith so it doesn't offend the LGBT community and their children. Children are dear to us, and yes they need our protection, but they also deserve to be taught truth, We cannot allow diluting the word of God, which is the TRUTH, to accommodate and appease those who hold un-Godly views. I send my children to a Christian school for a Christian education, should we lose this battle then the word of God in our school will be compromised and heavily restricted so as not to offend others with differing beliefs. 

Dear Parents
I’m sorry to be contacting you at this busy time of the year but we urgently need your help.

You would have seen the coverage in the media over the last few weeks about proposals to amend the Sex Discrimination Act to protect students being expelled because of their sexuality.  Firstly, I want to make clear, our school has not expelled a student on the basis of their “same sex attraction”.  We have never sought the right to do so, we have only sought the ability to be a genuinely Christian school.

The problem with the proposed changes to date that have sought to provide these protections is that they have far broader consequences.  The advice we have received is that they would compromise our ability to –

• teach from a Biblical perspective, including about issues or morality, sexuality and sexual conduct – but not limited to them;
  • enforce behavioural standards within our community consistent with our faith, values and beliefs.

Earlier this week the Opposition introduced into the Senate legislation that again seeks to provide these protections but still has these same problems.  The Government has since announced proposed amendments to that Opposition Bill which would address the most critical of our concerns.  The Government’s amendments –

• ensure that, when determining if an action was 'reasonable' if indirect discrimination is alleged, the faith context of the school is considered provided that:
    • the school has published a policy dealing with the issue, and
    • the best interests of the child are considered.
  • ensure that it is clear that faith-based schools can continue to teach 'in good faith in accordance with the doctrines, tenets, beliefs or teachings of a particular religion or creed'

The Senate will be debating the Opposition Bill and the Government’s amendments on Monday, 3 December – with all debate to be finalised by 12:50pm.

We are asking all parents and carers to contact the Senators in our state and encourage them to support the Government’s amendments as soon as possible – but certainly before 12 noon on Monday.
At the same time, or no later than 12 noon on Tuesday 4 December, we are asking that you convey the same message to you Federal MP in the House of Representatives. 

• Contact details for all Senators can be found here
  • Contact details for all MPs can be found here
  • Sample letters from parents or carers to use in corresponding with Senators and MPs are here.

Once again, we are sorry to be asking this of you at this busy time of the year, but your support is vital if we are to remain an authentically Christian school.