• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Not me said:

Scripture says; John 5,39-40

39 "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.”

We are told here that just “searching the scriptures” is not enough. We are told that what also is necessary is “a coming to me (Christ) that you might receive life”.  This is being a “doer of the Word”. It says it is necessary to actually go to Jesus so that He Himself would give those things that are promised and spoken about in scripture. For the purpose of scripture (the written Word of God) is to instruct one where to go to receive those things spoken in Scripture. It is to point away from itself to the Living Word of God which is Him that can give those things spoken about in scripture. It is a going to Jesus to have and to grow this fellowship with Him that we are called to. This “one and one” relationship with Him, is that that causes growth. Scriptures are like a map to a certain city. They can tell you where and how to go, but they are just instructions of where and what you are to do. They have no life in themselves, only as one is obedient to doing of what is in them will they find life. For scripture says “be doers of the Word not hearers only deceiving your own selves”.

For we all have encountered and know people who know scripture upon scripture, can quote chapter and verse on most any subject, yet when you conversate or have dealing with them or you watch them as they deal with others they lack any evidence of Christ in their lives. They have no joy. The Fruits of the Spirit are lacking, and all you receive is humanity covered over with the words of scripture. But no “life”. Not to say these, are, or aren’t believers. This is what the Pharisees claim to fame was,  they knew the scriptures, yet not the One the scriptures spoke of. This is what the above scripture is speaking to. Knowing what the words of scripture say does not make one a follower of Christ. It is going to Him that we might receive the life that only He can give. 

Scripture speaks of the stubbornness of those that have great knowledge of scripture yet are “unwilling to come to me (Christ)”. Emphasizing the fact that there are those that regardless of how much scripture(s) they know they utterly refuse to go to Christ to have that personal relationship with Him that is absolutely necessary for a believer to grow.

Blessings to all that are willing to see and search out this truth for themselves.  

Much love in Christ, Not me 

First, Jesus is speaking to His people, a people ALREADY in Covenant with Him and are all awaiting the Promised Kinsman-Redeemer and Messiah - to sit on David's throne and rule all the world, and people, and tongue, and tribe. This "come to me" has to do with relationship, not salvation.

Edited by jeremiah1five

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

13 hours ago, Not me said:

This is so true. God is just so awesome in that way. We can read the same scripture a dozen times, and we just understand it according to what the words say. But when God, “as it were” turns the light on. We see in such a deeper way. 

Blessings, that we could understand all scripture that way. 

This is called Illumination, when the Holy Spirit works internally in us as we read and hear the Word of God.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, Debp said:

This is called Illumination, when the Holy Spirit works internally in us as we read and hear the Word of God.

Yes, but that’s a big word and I’m a simple man. Lol 

Just joking ❤️?

But it is such a wonderful thing when God does open up scripture to us. Can’t have enough of it. More God more!!! 

• Loved it! 2

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

55 minutes ago, Not me said:

Yes, going to God is the way/path/thing. But still more, it is a continual “going to God” that that is what the heart of God is after. Even after one is saved, to continue to “go the God”.

“Turn to me and I will turn to you” is a continual process. To the degree one “turns to God, is to the degree God “turns to them”. Would to God that we His body would turn to Him with all our strength, soul, mind, hearts, our very “selfs”. So the statement “all of Him and nothing of us” would be a true and living one in each of our hearts and lives. 

@notme Thanks for this good post.

:thumbsup: This is a very worthy (:Dpun intended) topic.

A couple of my favorite scriptures come to mind:

"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you." James 4:8

"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

7 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Faith is believing a promise of God .......Here’s one.Nice and simple.I believed this promise and it saved me.It will save you also....”Turn to Me and I will turn to you”

“ How often I wanted to gather you to myself as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings.But you would not.”

Just GO to Him

with a contrite heart.....He will do the rest.....if you trust Him

Yes .   While we on that promise lets look at something John said .     IF you ask Anything according to HIS WILL   He will answer you .

The key ,   according to HIS WILL .   

So let all pray today .   Lord we desire to know ONLY TRUTH .   If it is not your pure Truth O LORD let it be burned out of our minds .

Let not a foot slip .   Let us walk as you Did .    Let all who name the name of Christ depart from inquity .

And let us not be led into temptation .     For God desires His children to walk in righteousness and His SPIRIT , the spirit of grace teaches us to deny ungoldiness

wordly lusts and to be living righteously , soberly and godly in this world as we await our Lord .

And here is another Promise .    If mankind being evil can give good gifts unto their children ,   HOW much MORE shall MY Father give the HOLY SPIRIT unto those who ask .

Let all be refreshed , let all pray that if anything has slipped IT BE RESTORED , the FIRST LOVE and walking in pureness of heart andmind .

Let all pray ,   LORD if their by any way in me that is contrary to You , let me not heed that , BUT HEED ONLY YOUR SPIRIT .

IF we pray things according to HIS WILL ,   HE WILL HEAR and answer that prayer .   Thus let whatever is lame BE HEALED.

Let every man and woman return to BIBLE reading and bible loving .    For those reminders , those pure reminders DO STIR ONE UP .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@notme Thanks for this good post.

:thumbsup: This is a very worthy (:Dpun intended) topic.

A couple of my favorite scriptures come to mind:

"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you." James 4:8

"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

Thanks turtletwo! ?

Those are some of my favorites also. ?

Seeing how God is more willing to give, than we are to ask.  Going to Him is the best thing in life!  

Blessngs.

Edited by Not me
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

5 minutes ago, Not me said:

Thanks turtletwo! ?

Those are some of my favorites also. ?

Seeing how God is more willing to give, than we are to ask.  Going to Him is the best thing in life!  

Ask , seek , knock , press in ,  draw nigh to GOD and HE will draw nigh to you .

Think about this not me .     WHO even Gives us the desire to seek GOD .       THE SPIRIT DOES .

And also ponder this .    God also , BY HIS SPIRIT , uses people to STIR UP others too .

SO ,   SEEK < KNOCK , ASK , let all press in .    Submit to GOD , resist the devil and he will flee.

The more we read that bible and daily , the more we get those pure REMINDERS and thus are sharpened daily .

GOD answers every prayer according to His will.    The more we also learn JESUS and them apostels ,  THE MORE we are reminded what IS HIS WILL for us .

If we notice  , every time JESUS or the apostles made mention of sin ,     IT was never once , not once said , God understands so just try and sin a lil less .

IT was GO and sin no more .   Gods desire is not that we sin but that we follow and OBEY THE SON , THE SPIRIT .

Notice when paul said ,   THE LORD knows those who are HIS , thus let ALL who name the name of CHRIST ,   DEPART from inquity .

Notice paul said in another letter , LET not these things be named even ONCE among you as becometh saints .

Notice JOHN said , I write these things THAT You sin NOT .

And they all reminded that if any was in error , if any erred from the truth ,   TO CORRECT that one .  A pattern JESUS had set up

was followed and obeyed .  FOR IF the SPIRIT is in a man ,  and one is LED of the SPIRIT , they walk as did Christ .

Notice in one part it says LED of the SPIRIT .   IF you be LED of the SPIRIT .   How can one be LED of the SPIRIT

if its not the SPIRIT they are following .  These reminders are not to condmen anyone who is in error , BUT TO quickly remind them

OBEY THE SPIRIT , walk after the SPIRIT and not the flesh .

GOD will hear any prayer that is according to his will .  Christ is able to succor , give aide to us , so that we can overcome any temptation .

But if a man believes not this , then their trust in HIM is lacking .   JESUS came to set us free and that means free.

But if we don't believe we can be set free from the power of sin , then we are doubting HIM , HIS POWER , the POWER of HIS BLOOD .

I say these reminders , because most will not ,   most will not POINT and REMIND that we have ALL THINGS WE NEED to overcome IN CHRIST .

• Praise God! 1

@frienduff thaylorde

Thank you for the reminder(s). 

Yes, it is our one and one relationship with the Lord Jesus that causes growth, (so that we might walk sinless before Him, and do His will). To the end that He would be be “formed in the heart” that all men might see Him in us. 

Blessings as we, and hopefully all His body, as you mentioned  “ask, seek, knock, press in. So that we might know,  not just what the scriptures say, but the One to whom they speak of.  

Blessings. 

Edited by Not me
  • Praise God! 2

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

2 hours ago, Not me said:

@Not me :)Praise God! An encouraging thought. Thanks for sharing it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

I know About Billy Graham. I've read a lot about him.

I KNOW my wife. I have a personal relationship with her.

For me, the whole thing comes down to that. As a Christian, there are only two things that matter: My relationship with my creator and, a subset, my relationship with my fellow man. Everything else is something that enhances or damages one or both of those two things.

• Loved it! 1