Good Book to Start in the Bible for Beginners

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

As the title suggest whats a good place to start. Ive barely read any of the bible and i want to start. What do you suggest?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Here's what I wish I would have done when I first started out reading the Bible.

First, pray before every time you  open the Bible and read.  Pray for God to bless your reading and for him to speak to you and show you what he wants to you know.  Pray for an open heart, mind, and spirit.  Pray for an uncluttered mind.

[1] Read the book of John and Acts.  Not at the same time, but separately.  [Take notes as you go as to what God says to you and to the questions you have.]

[2] Then, after that, because the Old Testament explains a lot of the New Testament [and vice versa] start with Genesis and Matthew, reading a chapter or two each day [or each time you get a chance to read] of each.  [Also take notes of what God says to you each day and questions you have.]

[3] Keep going until  you finish.  I will take longer than a year if you do it that way, but that's how I wished I had started out many, many years ago and not more recently. 

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

21 hours ago, QuirkyPanda said:

As the title suggest whats a good place to start. Ive barely read any of the bible and i want to start. What do you suggest?

Read John:

1) Ask Jesus to help you understand what you read

2) Be sure to trust Jesus personally for salvation--no one can enter a utopia behaving as they do now, Jesus died a horrible death and rose to pay our sin, guilt and shame--trust Jesus for eternal life

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I think it best to go from front cover to back cover, as it was intended. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

On 12/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, QuirkyPanda said:

Personally, I would start in the New Testament with the gospel of Matthew.  Take your time, don't read too much at once, perhaps a chapter or two a day so that you retain and think about what you have read.  I would read all four of the gospels in order, as one may speak more to you than the others do, which is probably why God provided us with four different accounts of the same events from four very different writers.

God bless

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,381
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I feel like the Gospels are a good start, particularly John. He really gets the love element down. It's prominent in his epistles as well.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,867
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I recommend reading John, then Acts, then Genesis then Matthew and the rest of the New Testament then the rest of the old....

From day one, once a day flip over to proverbs and read two or three verses randomly.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/5/2018 at 5:01 PM, QuirkyPanda said:

Shalom Panda,

I have literally just posted this to someone else here. I think this is the best plan for you to read the Bible from cover to cover to get the complete story.

I must add, if this is your first or one of your first times, skip over the genealogies for now, skip when you get to long lists of names and work your eyes back to the narrative of the story. Following this plan is in an order that will help you get the main message from cover to cover.

• Genesis
  • Exodus 1-20:17
  • Numbers 11-14 & 20-24
  • Joshua
  • Judges
  • 1 & 2 Samuel
  • Hosea
  • 1 & 2 Kings
  • Ezra
  • Nehemiah
  • Ecclesiastes
  • Luke
  • John
  • Acts
  • Romans
  • 1 Peter
  • Revelation

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,867
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

if you are going to read the Bible from front page to back you need to not take two years to do it.   If you can do it in three months that is a good way to read it, but there is too much in the New Testament that you really need to know to wait for any time to understand it.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

I'd throw my vote behind the Gospel of John as many have already :)   That's as good a starting place as any I know of.  There is another option for the daring :)   Get yourself in a quiet place and ask Him where to start.  Then listen, as long as it takes to hear His  answer.

But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

The quicker you realize and believe that He is THE Teacher and available to you to explain everything you're about to read, the quicker that living Word will begin to blossom in your understanding.  Not to mention just the incredible experience of His  presence....  :)

• Loved it! 1