• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  4,329
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. 1 Corinthians 10:23

https://biblehub.com/kjv/1_corinthians/10.htm

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

"I have the right to do anything" - but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything" - but not everything is constructive.

Our Christian liberty is not absolute. Just because I have the right to do something doesn’t mean that I should do it; I must take into account not only my own spiritual health but also what effect it might have on other people. Thoughtless actions, even if not ‘wrong’ in a technical sense, can have devastating effects (e.g. Joshua 22).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

12 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. 1 Corinthians 10:23

https://biblehub.com/kjv/1_corinthians/10.htm

GALATIANS.5:11-15 (NKJV) 11 And I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why do I still suffer persecution? Then the offense of the cross has ceased. 12 I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off!

13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!

ROMANS.14:1-4 The Law of Liberty

1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

At ACTS.15:19-29 & 21:20-25, God has liberated new Gentile Christians from the burdensome parts(= non-essential) of His Law or Moses Law, eg circumcision and kosher/clean foods, so as not to cause them to lose their newfound faith. Beginning from the 4 easy and non-burdensome laws of Moses at ACTS.15, they are to gradually learn to keep the other non-burdensome parts(= essential) of God's Law/commandments/Word, especially moral laws, eg the Ten Commandments at EXODUS.20:1-17.

Nevertheless, mature Gentile Christians can still opt to later keep the burdensome laws because God's Law is good and holy(ROMANS.7:12), eg opt to be circumcised or circumcise their male babies and/or to eat only kosher/clean foods. These are the doubtful things mentioned by Paul at ROMANS.14, which should not be judged or condemned as unChristian or demonic practices. Otherwise, this may lead to contentions, rivalries and even wars among the brethren, eg the Catholic-Protestant Wars during the 17th century.

IN ESSENTIALS UNITY, IN NON-ESSENTIALS LIBERTY, IN ALL THINGS LOVE.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

I  saw a quote without context. Were you planning on making an inference as to what Paul is suggesting? 

• Thumbs Up 1