IGNORED

Sermon: What can we learn from the Moravian Revival?

George

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I often wonder what does Christ in God think, when He sees all these wars and faction fights, abuse under the shroud or flag of His "Holy name".Well, we are left in no doubt what God thinks and says "20 Wherever they went, they brought disgrace on my holy name because people would say, 'These are the people of the Lord, but they had to leave his land.'21 That made me concerned for my holy name since the Israelites brought disgrace on it everywhere they went.22.Now then ,give the Israelites the message that I, the Sovereign Lord, have for them:What I am going to do is not for the sake of you Israelites,but for the sake of my holy name,which you have disgraced in every country where you have gone23 When I demonstrate to the nations the holiness of my great name-the name you disgraced among them-then they will know that I am the Lord..I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken."(Good News Bible...Eze 20-23)

I have every reason to believe that this is also applicable under the New Covenant due to the Blood of Christ and that these generally "follow the money" ventures under His Holy Name will not go unnoticed. One only thinks of the scramble to "civilize" Africa, and all the other Continents at the Berlin Conference in the Late 19TH Century. Not only Roman Catholics but so-called "Reformed" Christians as well, where we still sit with "hatred" not "Love" between believers of different color and cultures in conflict with Christ's prayer, "21I pray that they may all be one. Father! May they be in us, just as you are in me and I am in you...23 ...so that they may be completely one, in order that the world may know that you sent me and that you love them as you love me"(Jn. 17: 21;23)I also as believe that this  "love" it seems; will be only  standard,  not how civilized or wealthy any Empire might have been,but how did us brothers and sisters in Christ love each other in terms of one Christ's final prayer request to the Father (above)?

Edited by Tony Hyman
Grammar check

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

A great historical perspective of Zinzendorf and the Moravians. A welcome edition to much-abused topic where  Evangelicals have Strangefire conferences to attack strawmen Charsmatics. As a former Vineyard Christian Fellowship member, I'm pleasantly surprised to find an accurate portrayal of the impact the Moravians had. Thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 11:50 AM, George said:

In the history of the Moravian revival, we read that:

“Zinzendorf was not aiming at organizational unity and uniformity among Christians
and did not desire the dissolution of particular traditions, but rather their binding
together in fraternal charity, mutual respect, communication and communion within a
sort of loose federation.”

As the community, they learned to “agree to disagree” on certain subjects – the one
thing they agreed on was the need for community in love – and this was necessary in
order to fulfill the “great commission”.

So the thought here is a little compromising is okay for the sake of unity regarding the essentials of the Christian faith, a position that is not universally determined or accepted by all "believers".

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,765
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  128
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

32 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

So the thought here is a little compromising is okay for the sake of unity regarding the essentials of the Christian faith,

No compromising on ESSENTIALS of the faith at all!  You can't disagree on the fact that the Bible is the Word of God for example.  Or that Jesus is the way the truth and the life!  Our Essentials are basically our Statement of Faith -- in essence salvational issues.   There may be a few items that are non salvational issues in the SoF, but simply its a core fundamental set of beliefs that the body of Messiah realize covers the essentials of the faith.

The compromise or as the Moravians would say -- Liberty -- is given on such doctrines such as -- is it okay to have a glass of wine?  Do you believe in a Pre, Mid, Post, Pre-wrath, no rapture position? 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

22 hours ago, George said:

No compromising on ESSENTIALS of the faith at all!  You can't disagree on the fact that the Bible is the Word of God for example.  Or that Jesus is the way the truth and the life!  Our Essentials are basically our Statement of Faith -- in essence salvational issues.   There may be a few items that are non salvational issues in the SoF, but simply its a core fundamental set of beliefs that the body of Messiah realize covers the essentials of the faith.

The compromise or as the Moravians would say -- Liberty -- is given on such doctrines such as -- is it okay to have a glass of wine?  Do you believe in a Pre, Mid, Post, Pre-wrath, no rapture position? 

yes meats drinks and days ,  no need to strive over .  in fact I know its okay to eat all things, well cept blood of course ,  and to have a glass of wine every now and then ,

But if a brother thinks no wine should be drank , or eats only herbs ,   Watch how fast I just do as he does .  cause my liberty will not become a stumbling block .

However ,  Geroge , you seriously need to take the very last thing you said , OFF.

Cause a no rapture postion ,   That is serious error and deadly .   We are supposed to be watching and waiting .    Thus a preterist ,  IS a deadly belief.

As for mid , post or pre trib .    I try and reason this out .  However I don't make war over such issues .  but a no rapture ,  yeah THAT IS SUPER DEADLY TO BELEIVE THAT .

Sorry about the bigcaps .   Not only that , but paul said we should comfort one another with this .    

• Thumbs Up 1

• Steward

If you close your doors to those in any form of error that is not a salvational issue -- then how can you possibly recover them?    Do you know how many times I"ve dealt with Preterist's and after 20 minutes of talking their eyes are really BIG and they GET it!  It's not difficult to do ... you just need to know how to do it!  :)

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,072
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The combination of 

John 4:24

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
KJV

John 17:17

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
KJV

This is our stay in an infinite reality of Our Lord … for me The Word of God and The Holy Spirit keep me from error as both are one and cannot be divided out in any way! When only one or other is being recognized there should be an alarm in one's soul to pray....

On 12/29/2018 at 12:28 AM, George said:

I agree there can be no compromising on the essentials of the Christian faith.  The problem is not all nominal Christians agree on what the essentials are.  People are always adding to the ESSENTIALS.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace

• Steward

16 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

People are always adding to the ESSENTIALS.

Perhaps .. but we just start with our Statement of Faith.  :) 

• This is Worthy 1