IGNORED

Where Is The Best Place To Start In The Bible and In What Order Of Books ?

Guest Luke11

So I have read all the Bible through nearly now Been reading the NIV and I am on Philippians now been reading it all straight from Old Testament Genesis all the way to New Testament Revelation but I have been told that's not the best way to read it, but I know that all the books are actually separate books that make up the Bible so it dosnt really matter what order to read them in, but my thought was I was doing it in the order of events., So when i have read revelation i am going to start again this time with the KJV, So what is the best way for me to read the bible in what order of books is best ?.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I think the best way to read it is to start with the New Testament book of John.  Then read Luke, Acts then the rest of the New Testament but not the book of Revelation.    Then start with Genesis and go through the whole Bible.     I personally think that John introduces you to the divine side of Jesus and Luke the human side then Acts what the Apostles did after the Resurection.   Gives you an overview of Jesus life.   Matthew Mark are backup's of Luke then read the rest of the New Testament which introduces you to Paul and the Gospel to the Gentiles.

Then when you start the Old Testament you have a good idea of where all that leads to.     I would also recommend that you map out all the birth records in Genesis so you can understand who was alive and when leading up to and after the flood...   adds some light as to how information could be transferred down through all the generations.    

One thing to keep in mind as you read that Shem who was the son of Noah actually lived longer than Abraham who was born nine generations later....

Revelation will make much more sense if you read it last....   and when you are through just start over again listening to it instead of reading and you will pick up many things that you missed the first time.....   and even after about a hundred times through the new testament and many the whole book, I find things I didn't put together every time I read it....

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

You could try a Chronological Bible, (I think there are some free online) as Genesis through Revelation is not necessarily in order especially with the OT Prophets.

Alright thanks I didn't know they was a chronological Bible.

1 minute ago, other one said:

I think the best way to read it is to start with the New Testament book of John.  Then read Luke, Acts then the rest of the New Testament but not the book of Revelation.    Then start with Genesis and go through the whole Bible.     I personally think that John introduces you to the divine side of Jesus and Luke the human side then Acts what the Apostles did after the Resurection.   Gives you an overview of Jesus life.   Matthew Mark are backup's of Luke then read the rest of the New Testament which introduces you to Paul and the Gospel to the Gentiles.

Then when you start the Old Testament you have a good idea of where all that leads to.     I would also recommend that you map out all the birth records in Genesis so you can understand who was alive and when leading up to and after the flood...   adds some light as to how information could be transferred down through all the generations.    

One thing to keep in mind as you read that Shem who was the son of Noah actually lived longer than Abraham who was born nine generations later....

Revelation will make much more sense if you read it last....   and when you are through just start over again listening to it instead of reading and you will pick up many things that you missed the first time.....   and even after about a hundred times through the new testament and many the whole book, I find things I didn't put together every time I read it....

Alright interesting thanks yeah I will give that a go, yeah one of the things I regret this time is not having a pen and paper when I was reading it through I found some interesting things and wanted to go back to it but forgot where it is ahh I will have to just read it again until I found it again. so yeah next time ill definitely be writing things down. Ill probably read it in this style and then listen to the bible the 3rd time. sometimes listening can be better than reading pick up knew things.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

29 minutes ago, Luke11 said:

Alright interesting thanks yeah I will give that a go, yeah one of the things I regret this time is not having a pen and paper when I was reading it through I found some interesting things and wanted to go back to it but forgot where it is ahh I will have to just read it again until I found it again. so yeah next time ill definitely be writing things down. Ill probably read it in this style and then listen to the bible the 3rd time. sometimes listening can be better than reading pick up knew things.

after you read it once, you might want to get it in digital form where you can do word searches to find those things you are looking for.....   and at that point in life the searches can be a life long past time of reading looking and cross referencing things...    I learn more from auditory things so I listen to the Bible more than just read now so I use a digital bible pretty much all the time...   you can also get many translations....    some concepts are easier to understand with slightly different words or phrases basically saying the same thing....   it should be a life long pleasure to go through.

I am getting ready to do a strait through listen from beginning to end and taking notes on a couple of questions I have and see where it goes.  It usually takes me about three weeks to finish listening a couple or three hours a day.     back in my working days I drove about 3,500 miles a month to I got a lot of listening time...   if you drive a lot you can get the bible on you phone and use the drive time well.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

I always advise seekers and new Christians to start in the gospel of Matthew and then continue till the end of the New Testament..

Then they can go and read the OT...

I think it is important for people to find out about Jesus and His teachings A.S.A.P..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

Time could be short.....if you are not saved , go to Romans and find out how to be.......

One must see that they are lost in order to reach for Salvation.....if the first two or three chapters of Romans does not convince you of this truth, read The Sermon on the Mount in Matthew......chapters 5,6 and 7 I think.

As weak sinners we find ourselves in quite a dilemma ......find the cure in Romans 10..... you will breathe easier

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, Luke11 said:

So I have read all the Bible through nearly now Been reading the NIV and I am on Philippians now been reading it all straight from Old Testament Genesis all the way to New Testament Revelation but I have been told that's not the best way to read it, but I know that all the books are actually separate books that make up the Bible so it dosnt really matter what order to read them in, but my thought was I was doing it in the order of events., So when i have read revelation i am going to start again this time with the KJV, So what is the best way for me to read the bible in what order of books is best ?.

The epistles are the most straightforward. They help us understand the rest of the books. The apostle's writings, the epistles, are like a commentary on the teachings of Jesus and the rest of scripture. The way the apostles handled the old is how we should.

James carries many of the themes of the Sermon on the Mount. Things like that.

I'm more and more convinced studying topically helps us read with more understanding. Reading a book of scripture can't be played down but after having read a book go back to a few topics or themes that interested you or poked a spot of ignorance and take on a study of that topic. Then when you read and that issue is being addressed the scripture has more impact and the context more clear. 

On the road to Emmaus Jesus taught topically, "Everything the Messiah had to suffer from Moses on through the prophets." So topical studies are important. 

The scriptures of the apostles were the Old Testament books. The epistles are the lens to understanding the rest of scripture.

Edited by Zemke

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Genisis is Our Father Love's Word Fully & Completely.period

The rest of The Bible/Textbook is nothing more than the proof in the pudding.

Revelations is exactly the same as Genisis, only Genisis is written litteraly and physically and Revelations is written spiritualy and metaphorically; very little litteral in it except for the purification of the earth and everything thats in it.

BTW, the Bible is a Study, it starts at Genisis CH 1 Vs 1 for a reason : )

The first verse Moses had written ( as Aaron was the scribe) is;

"In the beginning El'Ohim created time, space and mass"

All one really needs is a KJV, a Strongs Concordence and follow the instructions from Almighty GOD, Study, Pray about what you cannot understand and Most importantly, share what HE teachs you as you learn it.

Otherwise you might just as well wait for grade 2 ( The Lord's Day) and be taught with the rest of them.

Our Father is ALWAYS Fair/Just

If one has $$$ to spend, The Compaian Bible is best, because the transliterations are right there as you go : )

Rock On Holy Rollers lol