• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, NB408 said:

What made you in awe and completely surrender to him?

I have some Christian friends that strongly assert that no-one decides to be a Christian. (fullstop). Their reasoning is that the total depravity of everyone since Adam, except Christ Himself, makes it impossible for anyone to come to Christ of their own will.  This reasoning is captured in the doctrinal statement that "The outward call of the Gospel goes out to every man without distinction (repent and believe) but only those who receive the inward call (regeneration) are actually capable of responding in faith and repentance to the object of which they are drawn." 

As the son and grandson of Anglican vicars (so-called) I heard the outward call of the Gospel virtually from conception and made numerous commitments and recommitments to Christ in attempts to do the right thing and meet the required standard, but the seeds of corruption where nutured by agents of deception so that I struggled in the grip of Satan's exploitation until God did a work of grace in me when I was in my mid-twenties, showing me that I was denying Him by the way I was living and assuring me that He would be faithful to complete the good work He had begun in me. Now in my mid-sixties I can say that completely surrendering to God's will is a daily discipline that keeps me focussed on Him who is the author and finisher of our faith. (Hebrews 12:2)   

Eph 2:1-6
(1)  And you has he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
(2)  Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience:
(3)  Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
(4)  But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
(5)  Even when we were dead in sins, has quickened us together with Christ, (by grace you are saved;)
(6)  And has raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Col 2:13-14
(13)  And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,
(14)  by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/7/2018 at 11:20 PM, NB408 said:

Great question.

For me it was enough to read the 4 Gospels by myself.

Nobody has ever spoke like Jesus and I realized He is real and He is God.

He also filled me with His Spirit in that day I read the Gospel by myself and believed

In the span of few days, people started noticing a change in me

Edited by listener24
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I’ve always had a heart of the why of things... and because I was born in such a awesome world it became easy for me to see what was required for such a place to exist- cause and effect
Romans 1:20 (KJV)
[20] For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

It fits perfectly with what is written... so much so I could not deny the evidence, overwhelming, pin pointed so that in my heart I have no doubt of being before Him the moment I die.... with acceptance because of His life and it’s fruit in my own...

• Thanks 1
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:20 PM, NB408 said:

John chapter 6 verse 44

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Been a while since posting on the forums.

I was raised a Christian, being baptized as a baby, then going to Sunday School.

Did a Lutheran confirmation. Stayed a believer after moving out post-high school.

Got an adult baptism after college.

Edited by jeffnevins

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  1,198
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

I was lost but now im found, seeing my uncle do a 180% turn! He was one of my hero's growing up a womanizer drank a lot his wife would go after him with a gun he was quit the guy took me fishing was a real jokester. Then he had this happen to him he got saved, course he said nothing to me,  I was shocked did not understand what the heck happened to the old guy I knew.  One day he invited me to church and it was kinda neat seeing how he changed. Then one day I went to church with him and I had this pull to go up front to ask the Lord for help and receive him. I went forward repeated a few words with a guy and went back to sit down, then out of now where something happened it was like someone put their hands on my heart it was so unreal the Love I felt. Then the flood of tears came I could not stop them and I did not know what was happening to me. Then all of a sudden fluid started coming out of my mouth from somewhere inside of me and as I looked down there was a pretty big puddle of looked like flem. The funny thing was I could not stop it from coming out it flowed like a river out of my mouth had no taste either. I can say this for the first time in my life I felt really loved and hole. I had no idea what had happened never went to church ever except on Easter Sunday when I was a child. Here's the neat part the filling I experienced was unreal it was the most incredible loving filling I have ever had and have not had anything like it since. I only wish I could have that experience again and wish my family could have the same experience, I will never forget it never!   

Edited by backontrack

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

Mine started with a "Chick" tract.

I was about 6 yrs old and my mother  and i went to a local Post Office, and i saw this "paper thing" in black and white, laying on the parking lot.

I was an early reader, and an avid reader (at that time) of comic books, "Peanuts", etc, so, this was something to read..

It was the tract, "This was your life".

I read it, i saw the athiest evolve, age,  and die, and in the end he was cast into the lake of fire.......but, he was only seeing this in a sort of vision, and was given a chance to trust Christ.

Made quite an impact later on, but not so much then... as at that time it simply planted a seed that was always there.

So, that was my early introduction.

Later on, it was during a Sunday morning service that i was truly captivated by a message, and felt such a pull to go to the alter and receive Christ.

Did.

But it was later, about 10 yrs later that i had a different and stronger experience, again at an alter, and this one led to miraculous experiences that i had for a year, following.

I had been drifting farther and farther away from the Lord for some years, and then in 1987 i had an encounter with God, that was really just a year of strange, mystical, experiences, that i can't really perfectly explain, but they were supernatural.

i'll tell you of 2.

Some of you might have noticed that the color "blue" is often worn by people who are very devout Christians, or similar.  There is something about this color, blue, that is connected with Jesus, with Christianity.

You will see a lot of blue shirts, blue dresses, blue suits, in Church., as the color seems to have a supernatural connection with the Almighty.

Maybe this is why the sky is blue.   So that when you look UP, you are seeing the color that is absolutely connected with God, and this color is infinite.  Its as far and as wide as your eyes can see.  Its everywhere, once you look up.

So, following my initial strong experience with God in 1987, i began to see this color.     Not in the sense of ....ummmm,  looking through a blue pane of glass like a filter, but instead, i would notice this color, everywhere, as if it was shining at me from billboards, commercials, movies, TV.    It was everywhere, seemingly, that i looked, and it was not me causing it, and i had never noticed it before.

Another time, i woke up, and the curtain in my bedroom was extended out, from the wall.....as if a wind was blowing it from behind, and i watched this for a while because i could see it clearly, as if there was also a light behind it............and eventually went back to sleep.  I woke up next morning, went to the window and i already knew the window was closed......

Around this time, i began to work in a Christian Radio station, and i lived there, as it was a station and an apartment.   So, i think the 2nd day i was there, i decided to use the vacuum cleaner, and when i got it out of a closet, i noticed that the cord was BLUE.

Have you ever seen a blue cord on a vacuum cleaner?

Royal Blue?

God is very interesting when He is moving in your life, and it can be that he is moving in yours, and if so, whatever He is doing, is between you and Him, and can be very powerful, ....but only to you, and for you.

God bless you,

B

Edited by Behold

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  07/02/1966

I “believed” in God from an early age. I had to go to church every Sunday with my parents but I hated it. It was boring and my dad was usually in a bad mood and my mom was judgmental as can be. After I left home I didn’t go to church for 25 years... but I still believed, I just had no faith.

I had a very successful first career in the military. I was a big fish in a big pond. I had money, prestige and lots of power. I retired as a fairly high ranking Naval Officer. I really had no “need” for God as I had everything I wanted. I also had a growing disease called Alcoholism.

My second career is being an airline pilot. I was flying international routes and my drinking was progressively getting out of hand. On my days off I was eventually drinking round the clock. I knew I couldn’t stop at that point, but being “as great as I was”,  I knew I could handle it, even though I was completely miserable.

Then it finally happened. With no plans aforethought, God literately made me make a phone call to get professional help through my airline and pilot’s union.

In recovery I had my first opportunity to totally surrender my will over to God. I had my first opportunity to stand in faith. I finally knew what God’s love is. I almost (and really should have) lost everything I had ever worked for but God completely restored me.

Drugs and alcohol were never the problem (though I can never drink like a normal person, I know). My problem was trusting in myself rather than God. My problem was trying to run God’s universe.

Had I not been through that adversity, I would have never come to really know Jesus. I would have never known humility. I would have never even thought about loving my neighbor. I know the difference between believing in God and knowing God .... it just took awhile.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 hours ago, ReyRioG said:

I “believed” in God from an early age. I had to go to church every Sunday with my parents but I hated it. It was boring and my dad was usually in a bad mood and my mom was judgmental as can be. After I left home I didn’t go to church for 25 years... but I still believed, I just had no faith.

I had a very successful first career in the military. I was a big fish in a big pond. I had money, prestige and lots of power. I retired as a fairly high ranking Naval Officer. I really had no “need” for God as I had everything I wanted. I also had a growing disease called Alcoholism.

My second career is being an airline pilot. I was flying international routes and my drinking was progressively getting out of hand. On my days off I was eventually drinking round the clock. I knew I couldn’t stop at that point, but being “as great as I was”,  I knew I could handle it, even though I was completely miserable.

Then it finally happened. With no plans aforethought, God literately made me make a phone call to get professional help through my airline and pilot’s union.

In recovery I had my first opportunity to totally surrender my will over to God. I had my first opportunity to stand in faith. I finally knew what God’s love is. I almost (and really should have) lost everything I had ever worked for but God completely restored me.

Drugs and alcohol were never the problem (though I can never drink like a normal person, I know). My problem was trusting in myself rather than God. My problem was trying to run God’s universe.

Had I not been through that adversity, I would have never come to really know Jesus. I would have never known humility. I would have never even thought about loving my neighbor. I know the difference between believing in God and knowing God .... it just took awhile.

Hi ReyRioG. Thanks for posting your story. It was well written and to the point. The goodness of God leads us to repentance.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 12/8/2018 at 4:20 AM, NB408 said:

His nature and love for men, it sounds very typical but its really understated.